Pep Guardiola - 2023/24

He briefly introduced another tactical innovation today. We started with BOTH full backs tucking in to join the central midfield. He’s never done that before, a formation that was effectively 2-3-4-1. Unbelievably high risk tactics in anticipation of Everton sitting back in the edge of their box. In the event Everton were actually bolder than that and when ederson was injured Pep changed it to the 3-2-4-1 type formation we are used to seeing with John stones stepping into midfield. Except it wasn’t stones doing it, it was akanji, presumably because of Stones fitness.

He changed it again second half pushing Walker right up and tucking Phil inside as we’ve seen for most of this season. But the really interesting one was that starting formation which is going to be really exciting against the bus parking teams.

It’s a joy to watch him evolve us continually. The best manager in the world.

He briefly introduced another tactical innovation today. We started with BOTH full backs tucking in to join the central midfield. He’s never done that before, a formation that was effectively 2-3-4-1. Unbelievably high risk tactics in anticipation of Everton sitting back in the edge of their box. In the event Everton were actually bolder than that and Pep changed it to the 3-2-4-1 type formation we are used to seeing with John stones stepping into midfield. Except it wasn’t stones doing it, it was akanji, presumably because of Stones fitness.

He changed it again second half pushing Walker right up and tucking Phil inside as we’ve seen for most of this season. But the really interesting one was that starting formation which is going to be really exciting against the bus parking teams.

Wasnt a joy for the first 60 mins ;)

hes really been departing from his total control ethos. Probably bored shitless of the same low block every week.

as you say though, what a tactician.

He briefly introduced another tactical innovation today. We started with BOTH full backs tucking in to join the central midfield. He’s never done that before, a formation that was effectively 2-3-4-1. Unbelievably high risk tactics in anticipation of Everton sitting back in the edge of their box. In the event Everton were actually bolder than that and when ederson was injured Pep changed it to the 3-2-4-1 type formation we are used to seeing with John stones stepping into midfield. Except it wasn’t stones doing it, it was akanji, presumably because of Stones fitness.

We have seen now several pieces that work well, second half showed what his best blue print looks like for a run in but he ain't going to stick to that just yet. Doku is one that is finding himself in this team just as much as the team are getting use to him (reminds me of Haaland last season). I am guessing Akanji is just getting back to fitness and being sharp again. Normally very tidy and quick with his short passes. Not so much today which really hindered this different system.

Agree with you though, best in the world and love to watch him work.

We have seen now several pieces that work well, second half showed what his best blue print looks like for a run in but he ain't going to stick to that just yet. Doku is one that is finding himself in this team just as much as the team are getting use to him (reminds me of Haaland last season). I am guessing Akanji is just getting back to fitness and being sharp again. Normally very tidy and quick with his short passes. Not so much today which really hindered this different system.

Agree with you though, best in the world and love to watch him work.
I actually don’t agree that the formation we finished with is our best, although the personnel probably nearly is. I think our best formation is the one we played in last season’s run in, where stones drops into midfield and the full backs stay back and make a 3. I agree about your other points though and think Doku is well ahead of grealish at the moment.

Thought the switch to the high Walker worked well today despite it being a bit tired earlier this season. Forced Foden inside and stretched the game.

Maybe a tactic that we’ll see in these kinds of games again now we’ve got Kev back.

Thought the switch to the high Walker worked well today despite it being a bit tired earlier this season. Forced Foden inside and stretched the game.

Maybe a tactic that we’ll see in these kinds of games again now we’ve got Kev back.
We’ve been doing this nearly every game this season. High full backs have been the alternative to Stones/akanji joining midfield.

I actually don’t love it because walker’s distribution isn’t the best, but as you say it stretches play.

Do you think we'll see Pep try that very often though as we can only really push both fullbacks inside when Walker isn't in the team which isn't very often these days.

I agree though, I'm liking the idea of us using such a brave strategy when we know the opposition are just going to sit really deep. And like you mentioned, we can always switch back to the 3-2 formation if they start to commit more men forward after we score for example.

Maybe it's asking too much in his first season but I wonder if Gvardiol is capable of playing inside to a similar standard as Stones and Akanji. It's a demanding role but he's certainly got the technical ability to do it.

We’ve been doing this nearly every game this season. High full backs have been the alternative to Stones/akanji joining midfield.

I actually don’t love it because walker’s distribution isn’t the best, but as you say it stretches play.

You’re right. I think it’s because we didn’t in the first half today and seemed to have a really flat back 4 with Rodri driving forward instead.

Yan Couto would be a great player for it. Or, dare I say, Cancelo but I’d prefer Walker’s defensive flexibility. And I don’t mind how he always tries to break the lines with his passing to be fair to him. He’s just inconsistent with his crossing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.