Pep wants a delayed start for City next season

After listening to Pep's press conference I was convinced he's stepping down. Now he says this in the embargoed bit, the little tease! At the very least I now think he's staying within the club, although I'm hoping for a triple announcement of pep, wirtz and musiala on the day we make it 5 in a row.

Football needs a rethink on games but there are now too many fingers in the pie to get them all to sit down and compromise. In many ways, FIFA has trodden on the toes of domestic leagues with its new format. What's the answer? Bigger squads? Even more allowed substitutes? Quarterly rest periods? Half time shows and novelty nacho cheese hats, creating games that last a full day with only short bursts of action? More merchandising opportunities? Or limiting players to a number of games they can play based on sound medical guidance, and accepting that either everyone has a smaller piece of pie or someone leaves the party?

Says something when even fans, including me who has been football mad since the 80s, match going and fiercely loyal to my club, are thinking that this is just too much football. I love the idea of city playing new and different teams, but i don't really want to watch us play another ten or twenty games per season. Too much of a good thing can spoil it. But, hey, it was unlikely I was going to buy the sixth kit or the VIP meal and match upgrade for three random games in Seattle, so I'm not the target audience I guess. But football should be a special occasion, not watered down like a cheap bud.

I hope fellow teams can get over their rivalry and realise that it may affect them too, not just see this as another chance to topple city. But I don't think the premier league will feel like doing us many favours right now if rumours are to be believed that they've been handed their arses in the hearing.

It's inevitable otherwise that one competition will become the new Carabao equivalent, b teams and all.

Mard arse bacon chops pulled his tramp team out of the fa cup in the past and there were significantly fewer games back then. But, the precedent is set. If they let United do it, they'd be ok with City doing it too, right?
Why were you convinced he was stepping down after listening to The press conference ? I got The opposite feeling.

Premier League comes first. Stuff the world club cup. Give the guys a proper 4 or 5 week break.
Why not just scrap all these meaningless international breaks which are destroying domestic leagues across Europe? The CWC is more significant than the Nations League farce. The media are building a negative narrative about the CWC. This wouldn’t happen if LFC and MUFC had qualified for it.

Why not just scrap all these meaningless international breaks which are destroying domestic leagues across Europe? The CWC is more significant than the Nations League farce. The media are building a negative narrative about the CWC. This wouldn’t happen if LFC and MUFC had qualified for it.

Absolutely correct, and no doubt that if the rags and dippers were the team taking part, the PL would have granted the request without a second thought.

Whilst I personally regard the CWC ( or whatever it is called ) it is just a manufactured competition designed to bring in massive amounts for the organisers, the carrot to participants being the prize money which is an attractive prize for the clubs involved.

And you're absolutely right that the meaningless international games disrupt the season and add problems to the normal running of the league season.

Last edited:
No doubt that if the rags and dippers were the team taking part, the PL would have granted the request without a second thought.
The smear campaign has started against the CWC. All the usual media suspects are mocking the tournament and City’s involvement. The PL and UEFA are briefing the press against it. It is all self interest. The CWC will happen once every four years and I think it will be great. The dinosaurs in the English press will be late to the party as always. A lot of English football fans seem happy to allow themselves to be manipulated by the media.

Even if the league did give permission, when would these games be played?

The calendar is virtually full to bursting as it is. And there’s even less room for flexibility in a World Cup year.

Why would anyone expect co-operation from the PL ?
I see the new organisation behind the WSL postponed the Chelsea v Rags game as it fell just 2 days after Chelsea’s CL game. Note how we played Watford 2 days after Arsenal, they don’t care though typically BBC opened a HYS on this for the usual bile

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.