Strongly disagree.

Heading: Same
Positioning: Worse
Marking: Worse
Tackling: Worse
Pace: Worse
Ball Control: Same
Vision: Same

Garcia looks like he's running in treacle. Tackle? When?!

Lescott a miles better CB
Agreed, Garcia got away with at least 2 blatant dives to win free kicks against faster attackers when we played against Amazulu. A better referee would have waved play on, and they would have been in on goal. He also often tries to pull back or wrestle attackers that go past him.

Yep and with us pressing high teams will break on us and we need fast defenders. tis guy is so slow I can barely watch. If we play him at CB he will cost us.
And for those two instances you are referring to he actually had three or four well-paced track-and-tackles with their fairly quick forwards. He also had several last man contains and kept them from having really any meaningful chances. Kompany has a tendency of doing the same things you are criticising Garcia for but he is world-class (all players have their shortcomings).

I am not puting Garcia in the same class as Kompany but to say Lescott has more pace, is better at tackling, and is just as good in possession as Garcia is just beyond my comprehension (most supporters close their eyes and pray to every omnipotent being possible when Lescott has the ball under pressure).

Can't say I agree with either of your assessments but you're entitled to your opinions. I still think he would be capable cover.<br /><br />-- Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:33 pm --<br /><br />
Mr. Aguia said:
SebastianBlue said:
waspish said:
I think he is a fine player at centre back even better than Lescot

I don't know if you are serious but if you are, I agree--Garcia is as good or better than Lescott in every defensive attribute.

Heading: Better
Positioning: Same
Marking: Same
Tackling: Same
Pace: Slightly Better
Ball Control: Better

I think he would make perfect cover for CB and CDM (where he is actually better than many think).

You're out of your mind. Garcia was shit vs Southampton. He was shit vs QPR. He was fine vs Stoke because they play long ball and can't score to save their lives. Against a team coached by Tony Pulis he's fine. Unfortuantly for us there are no Tony Pulis coached teams in the PL.

You think Lescott now (not two years ago) is a better player? Lescott was horrid against QPR in our title-winning match, as well, but that is forgotten because we won. He was awful in several others cameos last year as well.

I am not saying Garcia is the second coming but the hyperbole that is thrown about right now passes understanding. Not to mention the hatred for Garcia.

SebastianBlue said:
Cobwebcat said:
Plain Speaking said:
Agreed, Garcia got away with at least 2 blatant dives to win free kicks against faster attackers when we played against Amazulu. A better referee would have waved play on, and they would have been in on goal. He also often tries to pull back or wrestle attackers that go past him.

Yep and with us pressing high teams will break on us and we need fast defenders. tis guy is so slow I can barely watch. If we play him at CB he will cost us.
And for those two instances you are referring to he actually had three or four well-paced track-and-tackles with their fairly quick forwards. He also had several last man contains and kept them from having really any meaningful chances. Kompany has a tendency of doing the same things you are criticising Garcia for but he is world-class (all players have their shortcomings).

I am not puting Garcia in the same class as Kompany but to say Lescott has more pace, is better at tackling, and is just as good in possession as Garcia is just beyond my comprehension (most supporters close their eyes and pray to every omnipotent being possible when Lescott has the ball under pressure).

Can't say I agree with either of your assessments but you're entitled to your opinions. I still think he would be capable cover.

-- Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:33 pm --

Mr. Aguia said:
SebastianBlue said:
I don't know if you are serious but if you are, I agree--Garcia is as good or better than Lescott in every defensive attribute.

I think he would make perfect cover for CB and CDM (where he is actually better than many think).

You're out of your mind. Garcia was shit vs Southampton. He was shit vs QPR. He was fine vs Stoke because they play long ball and can't score to save their lives. Against a team coached by Tony Pulis he's fine. Unfortuantly for us there are no Tony Pulis coached teams in the PL.

You think Lescott now (not two years ago) is a better player? Lescott was horrid against QPR in our title-winning match, as well, but that is forgotten because we won. He was awful in several others cameos last year as well.

I am not saying Garcia is the second coming but the hyperbole that is thrown about right now passes understanding. Not to mention the hatred for Garcia.

We don't need a back up as Nastasic is still young and learning. We need a starter.

Sorry Garcia and Sinclair were panic buys.

I think we really need another established CB. Just thinking back over the past 2 seasons, our 4th choice CB has gotten a run in the team at a crucial time of the season due to injuries, suspensions, ACON, etc (Kolo this past year and Savic the year before). So I don't really think another solid CB is so much of a luxury as it is a necessity.

Garcia may well come into his own this year and be able to play there, but it is a gamble. Richard can fill in more then reliable at CB, but is oft injured. I've seen others mention Rodwell and he may well be able to fill in, but again we'd be relying on a young, injury prone payer who's primary position is a midfielder.

Pepe may or may not be the answer, but I do think we need another solid, established CB.

yankblue said:
I think we really need another established CB. Just thinking back over the past 2 seasons, our 4th choice CB has gotten a run in the team at a crucial time of the season due to injuries, suspensions, ACON, etc (Kolo this past year and Savic the year before). So I don't really think another solid CB is so much of a luxury as it is a necessity.

Garcia may well come into his own this year and be able to play there, but it is a gamble. Richard can fill in more then reliable at CB, but is oft injured. I've seen others mention Rodwell and he may well be able to fill in, but again we'd be relying on a young, injury prone payer who's primary position is a midfielder.

Pepe may or may not be the answer, but I do think we need another solid, established CB.
Agreed, look at the natural centre-backs our rivals/other big sides:

Real Madrid: Ramos, Varane, Pepe, Albiol, Nacho
United: Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans, Jones, Smalling
Chelsea: Luiz, Cahill, Terry, Ivanovic
Bayern: Dante, Boateng, Badstuber, Van Buyten, Kirchhoff
Juventus: Chiellini, Barzagli, Ogbonna, Caceres, Bonucci
AC Milan: Mexes, Zapata, Zaccardo, Bonera, Vergara

Ours: Kompany, Nastasic, Lescott

SebastianBlue said:
Cobwebcat said:
Plain Speaking said:

Can't say I agree with either of your assessments but you're entitled to your opinions. I still think he would be capable cover.

-- Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:33 pm --

Mr. Aguia said:
SebastianBlue said:

Agree with those comments for sure.

I'm not too keen on playing Garcia at CB so it would be nice if another CB is brought in to provide cover in case of suspension/injury/fatigue. Pepe would be good but only if the transfer is south of 15 million, he is 30 after all. If we do get him though than we will have a great assortment of options at the back and one of the deepest squads in Europe (it's a nice bonus that Pepe can play DM too cause I'm not 100% convinced with Barry and Garcia).

kun said:
yankblue said:

Agreed, look at the natural centre-backs our rivals/other big sides:

Real Madrid: Ramos, Varane, Pepe, Albiol, Nacho
United: Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans, Jones, Smalling
Chelsea: Luiz, Cahill, Terry, Ivanovic
Bayern: Dante, Boateng, Badstuber, Van Buyten, Kirchhoff
Juventus: Chiellini, Barzagli, Ogbonna, Caceres, Bonucci
AC Milan: Mexes, Zapata, Zaccardo, Bonera, Vergara

Ours: Kompany, Nastasic, Lescott

Players on your list that many (expert and amateur) argue/argued aren't/weren't natural centrebacks (but now play there at a top level): Ramos, Jones, Boateng, Ogbonna, Mexes, Zapata, Kompany.

Players can be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.