Pep's contract situation

Why indeed?

If Pep takes on an international team, it will be one that he thinks can win the World Cup.

I don't think anyone should get carried away with the idea that Pep will stay at City for ten years. I do think his comment about City being bigger than people realise could be telling. City are a club that have proved they can get into the blood of people that come to it as an employee. He'll always be a Catalan first but maybe Manchester City can capture his heart more than he expected.

I'll be delighted if he signs on and stays until 2021. If he goes beyond that, I think we will all be in dreamland.

An international job would be an obvious for him and he has burnt his boats with Spain. He likes the USA, he spent a lot of his sabatical time there. There is a strong likelihood that the 2026 World Cup will be in the USA. The home nation will want a good showing from their team and how best to acheive that than giving the best coach in the world 4 years to get the team ready. The USA have the funds and ambition to make him an offer he cannot refuse.

USA won't be ready to win the World Cup in 2026, even with home advantage and Pep as a manager.

An international job would be an obvious for him and he has burnt his boats with Spain. He likes the USA, he spent a lot of his sabatical time there. There is a strong likelihood that the 2026 World Cup will be in the USA. The home nation will want a good showing from their team and how best to acheive that than giving the best coach in the world 4 years to get the team ready. The USA have the funds and ambition to make him an offer he cannot refuse.

A bunch of healthy, enthusiastic but not very good nor clever players, is not going to play like City or Barca, just because Pep sees them every now & then. They would be far better with Mourinho or Klopp. He is a very clever man but he's not God. And, he won't need any money, as the Sheikh will have given him half of Abu Dhabi by then, so he can spend half his life in the States if he wishes.

One of the last international teams on earth he would manage imo.

More chance of him managing England. And that's not much, but it would increase to about 5% if he was here for a long time & a lot of City players were in it.

USA won't be ready to win the World Cup in 2026, even with home advantage and Pep as a manager.

That sounds like a challenge someone like Pep would be happy to take on. And don't forget how his coaching has brought on players at City. You may also remember that the USA have already been in a World Cup QF only losing 1-0 to Germany.

Why indeed?

If Pep takes on an international team, it will be one that he thinks can win the World Cup.

I don't think anyone should get carried away with the idea that Pep will stay at City for ten years. I do think his comment about City being bigger than people realise could be telling. City are a club that have proved they can get into the blood of people that come to it as an employee. He'll always be a Catalan first but maybe Manchester City can capture his heart more than he expected.

I'll be delighted if he signs on and stays until 2021. If he goes beyond that, I think we will all be in dreamland.

I recon it's exactly as he says: he has no specific plan. He will just see how it is, as he goes along.

But if he ever becomes an international manager, he will want to work with players who are very smart & can do what he asks.

A bunch of healthy, enthusiastic but not very good nor clever players, is not going to play like City or Barca, just because Pep sees them every now & then. They would be far better with Mourinho or Klopp. He is a very clever man but he's not God. And, he won't need any money, as the Sheikh will have given him half of Abu Dhabi by then, so he can spend half his life in the States if he wishes.

One of the last international teams on earth he would manage imo.

More chance of him managing England. And that's not much, but it would increase to about 5% if he was here for a long time & a lot of City players were in it.

See my reply to OB1

That sounds like a challenge someone like Pep would be happy to take on. And don't forget how his coaching has brought on players at City. You may also remember that the USA have already been in a World Cup QF only losing 1-0 to Germany.
Yeah, but that's when he works with them every day. You wonder how well he could implement what is a complex system seeing players once every few months. And even at City, we saw that without the right players (not necessarily the best players), he wasn't able to properly play the way he wants. But in international football, there's presumably far more compromise from the manager.

He wants to win the World Cup if he goes into international management. He knows that he cannot turn water into wine. If he wants a challenge of that kind, he will go to Girona.

International managers don't get long with their players so Pep will need the best, most switched on players to play his game at international level; even then he may need to compromise on how they play.

Arguably the best international team for him would be the Netherlands with a golden generation of players.

Yeah, but that's when he works with them every day. You wonder how well he could implement what is a complex system seeing players once every few months. And even at City, we saw that without the right players (not necessarily the best players), he wasn't able to properly play the way he wants. But in international football, there's presumably far more compromise from the manager.

I get what you, OB1 and Neville K are saying but possibly Pep would relish a challenge to build and mould his own international team. The MLS season is a relatively short one, plenty of opportunities for a committed FA to set up training camps, provide national contracts to players outside of their club contracts, modify the season to optimise this. If you want something badly systems can be modified to help deliver the dream and the USA definitely have a dream to do well in a WC.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.