Pep's contract situation

Yep it was in December but it only happened once the City rumours ramped up and Bayern insisted on the extension as they could read the writing on the wall. I would say the circumstances & parties involved make it different

Pep likes to avoid contract talk publicly and chooses his words carefully - it's also why I interpret what he said as not being a flat denial about a Barca return much less a confirmation he intends to renew/extend with City. Important to recognize as well that Font did not suggest Pep would be recruited as a 1st team coach

He simply doesn't like to give rumours oxygen to persist, this will quiet that for the foreseeable future. IF he renews, it wouldn't happen until after January IMHO as he will not want to fuel concerns about continuity going into the final months of the season

He sai he HOPES he can stay - that says he wants to stay.....

Unless he has got his English wrong that seems a pretty clear indication that he wants to extend his stay here.

You have to remember he has since being at city also been vocally critical of Barca.

Statement from pep will upset some people on here, not me made up if he stays another 5 years.

His squad from 2017-2019 will take a lot of beating. Vinnie, Fern, David and Sergio are either gone or past it. That’s four world class players missing. It’s not easy replacing players of that calibre. We perhaps may never see a better City side than that again. I’m hoping we will give a good title challenge this year with another cup win, with Pep renewing. This squad still needs improving to return back to a similar level of two years ago.

That is basically my view on motivation and not just in football. If you do not have people who are self motivated, you are basically screwed.

The key is to give people the conditions where they will motivate themselves and try to avoid doing things that demotivate.

Top players should be motivated by the desire to win.
Players (and people in life) can be hugely inspired by charismatic characters to be motivated and perform to a much higher standard, (particularly in team sports).

There seems to have been a slight shift in emphasis on how Pep responds to these constant questions of his future

Previously it was the " I need to prove I should get another contract" type of stance

Today - its "I HOPE i can do it and stay here"

Subtle difference but for me its more of a positive - He is now saying he HOPES which means he WANTS to stay as far as I can see

I dont know what it is about Pep but regardless of results I want him to stay.......something about his integrity that makes me think he is the man for us. I loved Bobby Manc and the "fire" he had inside him and he clearly still has an affinity for us but Pep is another step beyond even that for me.

I do wonder if managing us has made him see the politics of football from a different angle (Barca and Bayern were top of the food chain in that sense -and others- when he was there) where as us (politcally at least) are pretty near the bottom - we are the ones on the receiving end of all the shit from the old guard of football and I do wonder if Pep ihas seen this and relishes the fight....his comments about Barca needing to keep quiet about things sticks in my mind - he knows there is dodgy stuff going on at other clubs and wants to fight it it seems.
Great Post mate. I think you have a point about Peps motivation after seeing the way we get shafted every week.

He is a man of great personal honour and it will have affected him seeing City get treated so unfairly.

Ironically those who most wanted to make him fail (the FA, the media) may well end up being the catalysts for his staying here for 5-10 years in total.

He sai he HOPES he can stay - that says he wants to stay.....

Unless he has got his English wrong that seems a pretty clear indication that he wants to extend his stay here.

You have to remember he has since being at city also been vocally critical of Barca.

This is what I meant by how he carefully chooses his words, he said he hopefully can do a good job this season to stay longer - he did not say he hopes/wants to stay

"I'm incredibly happy here, delighted to be in Manchester and hopefully I can do a good job this season to stay longer."

You have to also remember he has been critical of the board, not the club - he has quite clearly declared it is his club & that he loves it

Great Post mate. I think you have a point about Peps motivation after seeing the way we get shafted every week.

He is a man of great personal honour and it will have affected him seeing City get treated so unfairly.

Ironically those who most wanted to make him fail (the FA, the media) may well end up being the catalysts for his staying here for 5-10 years in total.
And yet the postive affect he has had ont he premiership is there for all to see as well - so many teams now trying (and succeeding ) in playing the ball out from the back - that is all on Pep and it has seen an improvement in the game

This is what I meant by how he carefully chooses his words, he said he hopefully can do a good job this season to stay longer - he did not say he hopes/wants to stay

"I'm incredibly happy here, delighted to be in Manchester and hopefully I can do a good job this season to stay longer."

You have to also remember he has been critical of the board, not the club - he has quite clearly declared it is his club & that he loves it

You won’t be getting Pep next season.

This is what I mean by how he carefully chooses his words, he said he hopefully can do a good job this season to stay longer - he did not say he hopes/wants to stay

he clearly hopes he does well so he can stay - same thing

Previously it was I HAVE to do well so i can stay

There is a sublte but very important difference

He does love Barca (the fans, staff players etc) - BUT the politics that the club have been involved in has clearly upset him.....and that again is a big shift.....especially when you consider how he backed the board/directors at city over the FFP and then the result as well - a marked difference in how the two clubs/board approach things and its possible that Pep has seen a difference and noted it.....
I have no doubt at some point that he will return to Barca at some point (Its his home) but make no mistake about it......he managed you for 3 yrs and then walked - he has already been here longer and is looking at the possibility of extending that to way beyond what he did as first team manager with Barca. That in itself should tell you that he also has a very close affinity to us.

I love Manchester, Im from there and grew up there BUT I will never go back there - not to work, not to live so anything is possible.

Plus if I was a multi millionaire Id never go back to anywhere once Id finished - Id jut keep on moving looking for other opportunities and seeing what more I can achieve.....the old adage " never go back"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.