Peter Drury replaces Martin Tyler on Sky Sports

I don't deny that, cultfc fans are twats, but the specific description of charlied and pissed up fans being gobshites and pissing up the side of people houses could be said for any away day fans.
They just do it as a whole not in a minority
Agreed but scousers are a very weird and unique breed.

Did you watch the Garry Neville interview with Carragher on the overlap?

Even Carragher admitted, people don't understand scousers and their attitude, that said everything about them to me.

We live 30 miles down the road from them, yet they are literary on another planet in terms of attitude and mentality, and they are genuinely VICTIMS, all of them.

He was talking about the state of the English game, which was a mess at the time - huge fences, being frogmarched to and from grounds, and the grounds themselves being dilapidated all resulting in crowds and interest in the game dwindling.

Imagine asking someone at the time "why do you not go to football?"
And they answered "lots of people died at Hillsborough and there are other hooligan related issues as well".

Seems as good an answer as any - and the 2 parts of the sentence are connected by the IMPACT and not by the similarity

Unless of course you are a professional victim. The vagaries of the English language mean you can create things that aren't meant easily.
There's no evidence that hooliganism, drink or ticketless fans played any part on the day itself. The blame for events on the day is almost wholly shared by South Yorkshire Police, the FA and Sheffield Wednesday. And people should have gone to jail over the disgraceful cover-up.

Because of the authorities' failings up to and on that day, 97 people died at Hillsborough. But their deaths happened because they were fenced in pens, and had nowhere to spread out to because they were artificially constrained. Had no pens or fences been in place, and the Leppings Lane terrace been completely open, those deaths almost certainly wouldn't have happened.

But those pens were there because of the general problem of hooliganism in football. They allowed the police to contain any outbreaks of trouble at grounds. I was in one at Old Trafford when a large scale disturbance broke out between City and united fans. The police closed it off and hauled out the fighting fans. In fact they hauled out so many, you could sit down on the floor at half time.

So while the deaths of football fans that day wasn't the direct result of hooliganism (unlike Heysel, although the authorities also share some blame as well for that) it was certainly an indirect result. No hooligans, no pens.

Whatever he said and however it is interpreted, he is a very old man and should have retired many years ago. If he continues in this way embarrassing incidents like these will become the norm for him.

I can't stand the bloke, myself: but he really should be forced to retire and give the new blood a chance.
It's unfortunate that this man will forever be intertwined with the both our club and the Premier leagues greatest ever moment.

It's unfortunate that this man will forever be intertwined with the both our club and the Premier leagues greatest ever moment.
Only because the club chose to use his comentary, Guy Mowbry and Peter Drurys were much more iconic that day to many who never heard tylers

But the report exonerated them didn’t it @prestwichblue
Innocent fans died that day in a tragedy. A terrible tragedy. I remember it like it was yesterday.

A report may exonerate Liverpool fans per se and should exonerate the vast majority especially those who tragically died, but it isn't necessarily the case that every single Liverpool fan is blameless in reality. Every club has fans who travel without tickets including our own and I don't doubt that on that sad day in 1989, a
minority of Liverpool fans did just that.

Corrupt, incompetent South Yorkshire Police who had overall responsibility could not handle the mass of people who showed up to a ground that did not have a safety certificate, which had been chosen by the FA to stage the match.

It is a stain on this country that only the SWFC Safety Officer has been prosecuted and not one single South Yorkshire Police Officer has done time.

That doesn't mean that every single Liverpool fan that showed up was there with or without a ticket and blameless.

I am not alone when I often think about those who died. After all it was a tragedy and an avoidable one at that. There had been crushing at Tottenham v Wolves in 81 Semi. Nobody listened. Nobody acted. The FA got away lightly on this too.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.