Peter William Sutcliffe

The Stefan Kiszko trial is a complete stain on the British legal system. His silk, David Waddington QC, who later became Home Secretary, was professionally negligent on a number of counts. tbf, there was a lot of late disclosure to deal with, but he could have sought an adjournment of the trial when it was dumped on him on the day of the trial and did not. He ran the wrong defence (possibly on instructions tbf - we’ll never know), failed to ask certain key, obvious questions of prosecution and his own witnesses (possibly because he was running the wrong defence), and failed to call compelling corroborative expert evidence on behalf of his client. Add into the mix an appalling and criminal lack of disclosure of material information by the prosecution/WYP and a number of witnesses who simply made stuff up about the defendant, plus the fact Kiszko’s arrest predates PACE (he wasn’t cautioned before his interview and didn’t have a solicitor present when he was palpably lacking the mental acuity to deal with an IUC unattended) and you have possibly the most egregious recorded miscarriage of justice of all time. Absolutely shameful. The subsequent torpid rate at which the injustice was unravelled (in which Warrington may have had a hand) compounds that shame.

Stefan Kisko’s trial, conviction and incarceration are a far better example of political interference, (gross)professional incompetence and downright dodgyness within the criminal justice system than that of Peter Sutcliffe and led to a far more tragic and unjust outcome.
If we had the death penalty, I think there’d be the mother of all cover ups. Either that or some conclusive evidence would have conveniently appeared.

If we had the death penalty, I think there’d be the mother of all cover ups. Either that or some conclusive evidence would have conveniently appeared.
More likely they'd just refuse to allow the conviction to be challenged until everyone had forgotten the case, then bury the new verdict under other news. They did that with a few 'false arson' cases in the states where people were executed on the basis of junk science a GSCE student would laugh at and 'expert opinion' of idiots with no expertise.

I used to work at Manchester Garages & was in work early at their car park on Hathersage rd, clearly remember seeing the body of one of his victims , the police were putting up a tent around it,it was on wasteland next to St Mary’s hospital.

Apparently it was where the new children’s hospital is built

I read this years ago, I'd say it is the definitive book about the case.

I read this years ago, I'd say it is the definitive book about the case.

A good book but nothing like as comprehensive as Michael Bilton's "Wicked Beyond Belief" (2012) edition. which goes into far more detail about the forensics, police reports and "Wearside Jack". I'd also highly recommend "I'm Jack" by Mark Blacklock - based on the events that led John Humble to send the fake letters, tapes etc.
One of the greatest mysteries to me though: Pat Jennings. Why was he sat in the public gallery at the opening trial?!?

I clearly remember walking down the streets of Leeds around 1977 in the student area one night, as I was on the way to a mate's birthday party who was studying at the Uni, the "ripper" had claimed another victim a couple of days before nearby.

You could almost touch the fear in the cold night air. He could strike again at any time.

Women were advised to walk around in groups if possible.

My Ma sent me and my brother over to Leeds to stay with my big sister who was a student living in Harehills area near Roundhay park at the time. I only stayed a couple of days but r kid would not leave for 6 months. There really was something 'in the air' and fear was everywhere.
We also had the police come to our house a couple of times as my Dad had a car that coppers were looking for (corsair i think).
That whole time was a dark period in the North.

The Stefan Kiszko trial is a complete stain on the British legal system. His silk, David Waddington QC, who later became Home Secretary, was professionally negligent on a number of counts. tbf, there was a lot of late disclosure to deal with, but he could have sought an adjournment of the trial when it was dumped on him on the day of the trial and did not. He ran the wrong defence (possibly on instructions tbf - we’ll never know), failed to ask certain key, obvious questions of prosecution and his own witnesses (possibly because he was running the wrong defence), and failed to call compelling corroborative expert evidence on behalf of his client. Add into the mix an appalling and criminal lack of disclosure of material information by the prosecution/WYP and a number of witnesses who simply made stuff up about the defendant, plus the fact Kiszko’s arrest predates PACE (he wasn’t cautioned before his interview and didn’t have a solicitor present when he was palpably lacking the mental acuity to deal with an IUC unattended) and you have possibly the most egregious recorded miscarriage of justice of all time. Absolutely shameful. The subsequent torpid rate at which the injustice was unravelled (in which Warrington may have had a hand) compounds that shame.

Stefan Kisko’s trial, conviction and incarceration are a far better example of political interference, (gross)professional incompetence and downright dodgyness within the criminal justice system than that of Peter Sutcliffe and led to a far more tragic and unjust outcome.

Great post mate, for me, from start to finish, and top to bottom, the whole thing was a complete stain on humanity.

The year Kisko was exonerated, Waddington was given the grace and favour position of governor and commander-in-chief of Bermuda. And politicians wonder why they're perceived with disdain.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.