Peter William Sutcliffe

If your workmate’s uncle wasn’t a street-walking brass then he was probably fairly safe.

Joking aside, I reckon it’s a myth that Sutcliffe only attacked women. The taxi driver in the link below reckons it was Sutcliffe who assaulated him and as for the bookie who was murdered in his own office, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Sutcliffe only lived 100 yards away from him at the time:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/york..._sutcliffe_murderer_serial_killer_crime.shtml

You know the rules fella...you are a fella?
13yp2k3.jpg

Watched all three episodes last night, arrogance of some of the police in charge is unbelievable, though the copper from the north east should have been a bit more forceful regarding the letters and tape but guess it was difficult for him in the circumstances.

Also the attitudes towards some of the women was disgraceful, thinking back, as i'd grown up around the Cheetham Hill area, if my mum or any of her friends who had been on a night out and had been one of the victims they no doubt would have also been treated poorly by the police.

Really felt for the first victims son watching that, he came out of it with a lot of dignity i thought.

Also couldn't believe the barristers comments at the end regarding calling a spade a spade!! Different times and attitudes though i suppose.

I just find it unbelievable that no one recognised the hoaxer's voice.

It really derailed the investigation.

Some very interesting stories on here.

I've just watched the BBC documentary and the central thesis seemed to be about how 1970s attitudes towards women were the biggest reason why the police didn't solve the case straight away. I'm not sure I agree with that (even though I agree that the attitudes were pretty appalling), it sounded to me like the people in charge of the case were just fascist cunts who ignored not just the female eyewitnesses but the male police officers and male pathologist too, because they had the personality of tyrants and weren't prepared to entertain the idea that the killer wasn't Geordie and wasn't targeting just prostitutes. If they had taken seriously the descriptions of 3/4 different survivors, they could have nabbed him just by scouting out the red light districts and probably saved the lives of 9 or 10 women.

Some very interesting stories on here.

I've just watched the BBC documentary and the central thesis seemed to be about how 1970s attitudes towards women were the biggest reason why the police didn't solve the case straight away. I'm not sure I agree with that (even though I agree that the attitudes were pretty appalling), it sounded to me like the people in charge of the case were just fascist cunts who ignored not just the female eyewitnesses but the male police officers and male pathologist too, because they had the personality of tyrants and weren't prepared to entertain the idea that the killer wasn't Geordie and wasn't targeting just prostitutes. If they had taken seriously the descriptions of 3/4 different survivors, they could have nabbed him just by scouting out the red light districts and probably saved the lives of 9 or 10 women.

I detect a certain hatred of the cops with you, i.e calling them fascist cunts. That could not be further from the truth. The reason the Ripper got away with it has been explained on here several times. In the 70's one top cop was 'god'. If he decided someone was not a suspect he wasn't. Oldfield was in charge of the inquiry and he a) decided that the Ripper hated prostitutes, therefore any other victim was ruled out of HIS inquiry. b) he was overwhelmed with evidence so couldn't sort out the important stuff from the mundane and c) he alone decided that the Geordie tape recording was the real ripper. He wasn't, as you put it a tyrant, that was society in the 70's. Bank managers, Chief Superintendents, MP's had an unquestionable authority. we were working class and they weren't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.