Peter William Sutcliffe

I detect a certain hatred of the cops with you, i.e calling them fascist cunts. That could not be further from the truth. The reason the Ripper got away with it has been explained on here several times. In the 70's one top cop was 'god'. If he decided someone was not a suspect he wasn't. Oldfield was in charge of the inquiry and he a) decided that the Ripper hated prostitutes, therefore any other victim was ruled out of HIS inquiry. b) he was overwhelmed with evidence so couldn't sort out the important stuff from the mundane and c) he alone decided that the Geordie tape recording was the real ripper. He wasn't, as you put it a tyrant, that was society in the 70's. Bank managers, Chief Superintendents, MP's had an unquestionable authority. we were working class and they weren't.

No hatred of the police although I do hate fascist personalities where people are totally unprepared to entertain other theories/opinions/evidence and admit they're wrong and, from my experience, many in the police do have that attitude as people like that tend to seek out authoritarian roles. That seemed to be especially the case among the top echelons in the police at the time and blaming it on society at the time seems a bit of a cop out (no pun intended) even if you're right to say that it was more regimental. From what I've seen, Oldfield's personality was a huge hindrance in the case and I think if somebody with a totally different character was leading the case in 1970s society, they would have took on board opinions from those 'beneath' them and hopefully caught the killer much sooner.

No hatred of the police although I do hate fascist personalities where people are totally unprepared to entertain other theories/opinions/evidence and admit they're wrong and, from my experience, many in the police do have that attitude as people like that tend to seek out authoritarian roles. That seemed to be especially the case among the top echelons in the police at the time and blaming it on society at the time seems a bit of a cop out (no pun intended) even if you're right to say that it was more regimental. From what I've seen, Oldfield's personality was a huge hindrance in the case and I think if somebody with a totally different character was leading the case in 1970s society, they would have took on board opinions from those 'beneath' them and hopefully caught the killer much sooner.

many in the police do have that attitude as people like that tend to seek out authoritarian role

I'm curious mate, do you know a lot of cops?

many in the police do have that attitude as people like that tend to seek out authoritarian role

I'm curious mate, do you know a lot of cops?
It follows logic that someone who seeks an authoritarian role would be attracted to a career as a police officer. I know quite a few coppers and get on well with most of them, but they aren't chilled out entertainers in the main. They believe in a high degree of social order and tend to see themselves as part of the solution to that. That's not a criticism btw, more an observation. In fact society would function less effectively if those personality types weren't attracted to the police.

Last edited:
It follows logic that someone who seeks an authoritarian role would be attracted to a career as a police officer. I know quite a few coppers and get on well with most of them, but they aren't chilled out entertainers in the main. They believe in a high degree of social order and tend to see themselves as part of the solution to that. That's not a criticism btw, more an observation. In fact society would function less effectively if those personality types weren't attracted to the police.

Some yes.

Many more ‘helper’ types though I’d wager.

I think the point I was trying to make is that is how society was in general never mind the cops, that is why so many paedophiles, priests etc got away with it. In those days, once someone was in authority or command no one would question them. I think you are bang on about Oldfield, he refused to listen to anyone else but I think most bosses were like that in the 70's. Look at the car industry or similar. They way society treated women never mind prostitutes was totally different than now. Again the programme highlighted one woman who was murdered by the Ripper. She was definitely a prostitute but they decided she was of loose morals, merely because on the night she died she was going out for a drink without her husband ! It didn't explain in the programme if they deliberately made her look 'loose' to fit their killer profile or that is what they thought of women in general.

Have just watched the BBC docu. It was pretty biased IMO. The Police certainly messed up with the tapes and the letters but I found it very strange how it wasn't mentioned Sonia Sutcliffe gave him alibis on more than one occasion and how often things were misfiled or not updated due to the sheer volume of information they received. It's easy now to say they were incompetent but pre computers you can see how these things would happen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.