PETITION RE NEWBIE WUMs

Dave Bentley3 said:
Uwe Rosler's Grandad said:
I'm not sure how much more I can take of newbie posters registering on here at will and starting umpteen threads of crap. Over 30 new posters have joined today alone and I would hazard a guess that most of these are wind up merchants (and not very good ones at that).

I recently joined another forum (not a sport related one) where newbie posters were unable to post in certain sections of that forum until they had 50 posts to their name. Because I was a bona fides poster, I had no problems with this and over time built up enough posts and then posted a few threads. I got to know a few other posters and they got to know me.

In my humble opinion, Bluemoon is a superb forum but it risks losing credibility and popularity amongst geniune/ loyal fans if the current spate of wind up merchants registering and immediately posting crap is allowed to continue.

I therefore suggest that consideration be given to not allowing newbie posters the ability to start threads in any section of Bluemoon until they have posted at least 50 posts. This will not only hopefully weed out the wind up merchants but will also help geniune newbies get used to the board and how everything works. It may also stop the needless "what's WUM mean?" thread or another "Tevez thread" being started.

If anyone agrees with me can I suggest that they reply on here with a yes. If you don't agree could we start another thread with an alternative suggestion. Whatever happens I hope this stimulates debate on how we should tackle the scourge of the board right now which threatens the good ship Bluemoon.

Inspirational words. I second this motion.

as much as you are pissing me off, that really made me laugh for some reason haha

I disagree.

This would create a relatively two tiered user system, and places undue importance on post count. Remember, post count does not equal authority, or knowledge. Also, determined WUMs could quite easily accumulate 50 posts without a problem by spamming the shit out of the board. This would create it's own efficiency problems.

The best way to deal with them, is simply ignore them, but many of our long term users seem to have a problem doing this.

Yes. Good post. This part of the forum has gone wild with idiots, many not even City fans - Hopefully they would be sussed for what they really are by the time they can start topics.

Perhaps we could make a distinction, to stop quiet posters such as myself from never getting in? 50 (or maybe a bit less?) to post here, but 100 to start a thread? Or that kind of thing.

I support this idea, but it'll take me months to get to 100 posts, especially as half of what I post here is in this forum, trying to balance the posts with a bit of home-brew realism. I don't care about not being able to make entire threads (which is where 90% of the rumours are posted) but it would be nice to actually be able to comment when I have established myself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.