Petrol and diesel car targets

Even if we got electric cars tomorrow how are we going to charge them all when there are still huge swathes of terraced houses where you struggle to park outside your own house ?

Also how is the government going to make up the shortfall from lost road tax money ?

This is the whole point of ER. People need to be talking about it like everyone on here. Things need to move and the only way to do that is to get it onto the front pages. Without all this going on nothing would happen. Calling these people out will not make the problem go away. There is absolutely no doubt that this earth has a problem and that problem is us.

I said before. This can be sorted but it needs the will to do it and money.

This is the whole point of ER. People need to be talking about it like everyone on here. Things need to move and the only way to do that is to get it onto the front pages. Without all this going on nothing would happen. Calling these people out will not make the problem go away. There is absolutely no doubt that this earth has a problem and that problem is us.

I said before. This can be sorted but it needs the will to do it and money.

I totally agree that something needs to be done but hollow words from a government (of any political persuasion) never does anything for me. In another thread (the buses one) @mat mentions Nottingham council using biofuel buses. That is a positive step and that is the kind of thing we should be doing. Just because the latest prime Minister spouts shit doesn't mean anything will get done. As I say, they will need the revenue from somewhere if road tax goes.

I've had an electric car for a year now and never had any issues with charging when away from home. In the summer we went to Cornwall for a week which was a round trip of 700 miles with no issues. And I have to say I still get a thrill from "filling up" at home and not having to go to a petrol station. For me the whole thing just works.
The main problem is for drivers without off street parking, of which there are millions. Some initiatives are underway such as chargers built into lampposts (there are 2 of these within a 5 minute walk of my house here in Liverpool). Also chargers that emerge from the pavement are being trialled. However there is massive work to be done before mass adoption. Having said that, new superchargers are slowly becoming available which give 70 miles of range in 5 minutes. So I think 2040 is acheivable.

I've had an electric car for a year now and never had any issues with charging when away from home. In the summer we went to Cornwall for a week which was a round trip of 700 miles with no issues. And I have to say I still get a thrill from "filling up" at home and not having to go to a petrol station. For me the whole thing just works.
The main problem is for drivers without off street parking, of which there are millions. Some initiatives are underway such as chargers built into lampposts (there are 2 of these within a 5 minute walk of my house here in Liverpool). Also chargers that emerge from the pavement are being trialled. However there is massive work to be done before mass adoption. Having said that, new superchargers are slowly becoming available which give 70 miles of range in 5 minutes. So I think 2040 is acheivable.

All it needs as well is for EV to come down into the price range of people like me.

Well then you better get inventing cos to build the future world we are going to need an awful lot of electricity in the meantime to be able to make the breakthroughs you want.

There will be people much brighter than me who will be trying to do that.

What do you think will happen when we run out of fossil fuels? We only have around 50 years of oil and gas and around 150 years of coal left (at our current consumption rates). Don't understand the negativity. We NEED to move to green fuel ASAP. As Rafa Benitez would say, 'it's a fact'.

Assuming every car needs charging every two days. How many people do that now?
same can be said about refilling your car twice a week, it was a comparison on a like for like basis, with both being overly onerous estimates, but I suspect a higher percentage of cars are charged every 2 days than are refuelled twice a week

I think you're trying to apply today's reality too much. Consider this as an alternative, which might be normalised by 2040 (as far fetched as you think it might be):

- Driverless AI and Cheap Fuel (electricity) makes hiring taxi's cheaper (no need to own your own car)
- Cars return to depots where it's battery is quickly disconnected and a freshly charged battery is inserted
- These depots have the ability to charge thousands of batteries at once, more quickly and using greener energy than todays capabilities - the cars would also have a greater range

All fair points, but its a significant social step in 20 years to go from multi-ownership families to relying on "public" transport. 50 years maybe, but I think 20 is ambitious

Your last point relies on significant improvements on what is an inherently limited and basic technology

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.