Petrol and diesel car targets

Electric cars are unaffordable so unless they sort out public transport properly, cities like Manchester are not going to make targets like that.

There will be people much brighter than me who will be trying to do that.

What do you think will happen when we run out of fossil fuels? We only have around 50 years of oil and gas and around 150 years of coal left (at our current consumption rates). Don't understand the negativity. We NEED to move to green fuel ASAP. As Rafa Benitez would say, 'it's a fact'.
I don't disagree with your logic, but my point is that what ever needs to be done needs to be started soon, we will need new power stations either nuclear or conventional to power this new green way of living in the short term, because if we try and go this electrical route with cars with what we got then we are not going to have the capacity in the grid to make it work. I saw a report that if we continue on going with electric cars we will need 25 more power stations built and online before this 2040 deadline to meet electrical demand on the grid, and frankly they are not going to be built in time if at all.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with your logic, but my point is that what ever needs to be done needs to be started soon, we will need new power stations either nuclear or conventional to power this new green way of living in the short term, because if we try and go this electrical route with cars with what we got then we are not going to have the capacity in the grid to make it work.

One way we could start down the increase in power needed is for every new house to be built with solar panels on the roof.

I think you're trying to apply today's reality too much. Consider this as an alternative, which might be normalised by 2040 (as far fetched as you think it might be):

- Driverless AI and Cheap Fuel (electricity) makes hiring taxi's cheaper (no need to own your own car)
- Cars return to depots where it's battery is quickly disconnected and a freshly charged battery is inserted
- These depots have the ability to charge thousands of batteries at once, more quickly and using greener energy than todays capabilities - the cars would also have a greater range

One of our Tech Directors said exactly the same thing as this.

I don't disagree with your logic, but my point is that what ever needs to be done needs to be started soon, we will need new power stations either nuclear or conventional to power this new green way of living in the short term, because if we try and go this electrical route with cars with what we got then we are not going to have the capacity in the grid to make it work. I saw a report that if we continue on going with electric cars we will need 25 more power stations built and online before this 2040 deadline to meet electrical demand on the grid, and frankly they are not going to be built in time if at all.
Absolutely. The problem is urgent and needs immediate action.
Not the time for Fosters guzzling wankers to sit in their armchairs, criticising protectors while scratching their arses.

I agree with you on that, so why doesn't the government ensure this happens ?
Their head is up their arse when it comes to green energy and housing, so hoping for them to get the two working hand-in-hand is a pipe dream.

well looks like we will be entering a slower less productive world without huge infrastructure changes.

TG now Chris Harris is driving a Porche Taycan EV. With a suitable fast charger you can get 200 miles range into it in 20 mins ( petrol would be double the range for half the time ) problem is there are only FOUR such chargers across the UK. The £140k two seat monster can be charged at home - at 240v that 200 miles range will only take 24 hours.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.