Petrov Interview (Merged)

Matt Diablo

Petrov unhappy with life on Man City bench

SOFIA, Oct 7 (Reuters) - Bulgarian winger Martin Petrov has again expressed his unhappiness at being left on the substitutes' bench by Manchester City manager Mark Hughes.

Petrov scored against West Ham United in the Premier League last week and set up Carlos Tevez's goal but he was an unused substitute in City's 1-1 draw at Aston Villa on Monday.

"I wanted to save my energy to win some jitball matches during Bulgaria training sessions," Petrov said sarcastically to explain why he did not play against Villa.

Petrov, who joined City from Atletico Madrid in 2007, ran to the bench to celebrate his goal by pointing to his shirt and number.

"No, I didn't do it for him (Hughes). I did it for my wife because she forgot my number", Petrov told reporters on Wednesday at the Vasil Levski national stadium, hinting at his limited opportunities at City.

Petrov is preparing for the Balkan country's last two World Cup qualifiers against Cyprus and Georgia on Oct. 10 and 14.

He started last season well but has not been a regular for City since suffering a serious knee injury last October.

Petrov, 30, was poised to join Tottenham Hotspur on the final day of the transfer window but the move broke down.

"When they give me a chance I give my best," he added. "I think I've shown that I deserve a place in the starting line-up but it's up to him (Hughes).

"It's not a pleasant (situation). I'm a professional and I'm observing my obligations but it doesn't rest well with me."

Re: Soz mate but do 1 Petrov

As with the De Jong situation a few weeks back - as long as players who aren't being picked perform when they are picked - they can woman all they want...I'd hate to have a situation like at Chelsea a few years back where players like SWP, Bridge, et al never played and were seemingly happy to just pick up the pay packet...

Bye Rigsby. I think he is well and truly gone come January. Quality player, but I wouldn't put up with them comments. It shows a lack of respect for the managers position. Funny that the two most pivitol players under Sven could be out the club just a season or two on.

C_T_I_D said:
Bye Rigsby. I think he is well and truly gone come January. Quality player, but I wouldn't put up with them comments. It shows a lack of respect for the managers position. Funny that the two most pivitol players under Sven could be out the club just a season or two on.

Stop being a drama queen. He said nothing wrong.

true, but the vibes of/between Petrov and Robby aren't good IMO [what does dat mean by tha way?!] Elano, Rob, Boj and Pet do not go full stop, i'm sure they won't/wouldn't pass to eachother, i know the one who i'd like to be tha one that survives!!

Professional footballer wants to play football.

SHOCKER!!!!!

1/ It's a squad game and we need players with a squad mentality.

2/ The manager needs to recognise this and give players a run-out as often as he can and introduce players more frequently from the bench.

Petrov does not meet requirement 1 irrespective of whether requirement 2 is met. I like him and I wish he would stay but he clearly won't ever be happy as a squad player. Which is fair enough. We cannot guarantee him a first team berth.

Maybe he just wants a pay rise?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.