Petrov to be used as bait for Lescott

MARTIN Petrov's shock admission that he wants to leave City could spring the locks to free Joleon Lescott from Everton.

The Blues have been rocked by news coming out of Sofia that their left winger has said he wants a move.

The Bulgarian winger, on international duty, is said to have told reporters: "I don't see City depending too much on me this year, at least from what I have seen from the pre-season friendlies.

"No footballer is content with polishing the bench and I am no exception.

"In the next week I will try to speak with the boss Mark Hughes and if I get the green light for a transfer I will start searching for a new team."

Request

City were unaware of Petrov's intention, but the news could have them banging on the Goodison doors.

City are refusing to give up hope on the chances of signing Lescott, even though Everton boss David Moyes has taken a hard line with the player.

The Blues have already stepped up talks with West Ham over fellow England defender Matthew Upson as a possible replacement, and Portsmouth's Sylvain Distin remains another possibility.

But City will now be watching carefully when Lescott - on international duty with England - returns to Goodison after the friendly in Holland.

Moyes reacted firmly when a written transfer request dropped on his desk on Tuesday morning, turning down the defender's bid to leave Merseyside.

City had hoped that such a move by the player would convince Everton that it was pointless trying to keep hold of a player who had now said he wanted to leave.

After having bids of £15m and £18m turned down, City may decide a cash-plus-player deal might get them their man.

I've always suspected that Petrov would want off due to lack of 1st team opportunities.

I'd be happy to give them Petrov as part of the Lescott deal. Decent player but not good enough for a side with Champions League ambitions. I'd rather have a youngster as our second choice left sided wide man.

Thanks for the memories, Martin, but not the end of the world to lose you.

Unfortunately Jo does not seem to be in Hughes's plan's at City, I say unfortunately because I feel that he is better than RSC, and could still do a job for us. However that said and with him already being on Loan at Everton, offer him and Petrov into a deal with no money changing hand's.

I actually think that it is a shame that Petrov want's to leave, as he is a great squad player and all top team's aspiring to win things have to have strength indepth in every position. But if he isn't happy being part of the squad and wants to play every week then Hughes will have try and use his management skill's and keep him happy in the squad, or let him go.

Citycitytid said:
MARTIN Petrov's shock admission that he wants to leave City could spring the locks to free Joleon Lescott from Everton.

The Blues have been rocked by news coming out of Sofia that their left winger has said he wants a move.

The Bulgarian winger, on international duty, is said to have told reporters: "I don't see City depending too much on me this year, at least from what I have seen from the pre-season friendlies.

"No footballer is content with polishing the bench and I am no exception.

"In the next week I will try to speak with the boss Mark Hughes and if I get the green light for a transfer I will start searching for a new team."

Request

City were unaware of Petrov's intention, but the news could have them banging on the Goodison doors.

City are refusing to give up hope on the chances of signing Lescott, even though Everton boss David Moyes has taken a hard line with the player.

The Blues have already stepped up talks with West Ham over fellow England defender Matthew Upson as a possible replacement, and Portsmouth's Sylvain Distin remains another possibility.

But City will now be watching carefully when Lescott - on international duty with England - returns to Goodison after the friendly in Holland.

Moyes reacted firmly when a written transfer request dropped on his desk on Tuesday morning, turning down the defender's bid to leave Merseyside.

City had hoped that such a move by the player would convince Everton that it was pointless trying to keep hold of a player who had now said he wanted to leave.

After having bids of £15m and £18m turned down, City may decide a cash-plus-player deal might get them their man.

Very dissapointing if true. he has played very well pre-season and is a hit with the fans. If Lescott is worth 22mil then I would rate Petrov in the 8-10mil bracket.

Eggsy said:
However that said and with him already being on Loan at Everton, offer him and Petrov into a deal with no money changing hand's.
Everton have already turned down 18m in cash, so there's no chance they'd forfeit all of that to get an (as yet unproven) striker that they've already got on a free for a year and an ageing winger they've never shown an interest in.

Petty is an out and out winger.

When he is good he is very very good, but when he is off he can be terrible. Some of his wall passing leaves a lot to be desired and his commitment in the tackle is questionable.

I forgive him all that for the 30 minutes he absolutely roasted Blackburns right back under Sven, best performance from the wing i've seen in a long time

There is no way we should sell Petrov to Everton, or any other Prem team. If we do we are strengthening our rivals.

We should make it clear he is welcome to go to an Italian or German League team for the best deal he can get, for a couple of million.

If he wants to go to Everton or Spurs the fee is £10 million.

Buying Lescott isnt a problem now he has put in a transfer request.

20 or 30m I don't care because we are rich, but offers cash + Petrov + Jo to the same team is not clever imho. We'll be very thin in midfield creativity if that happens. How embarrassing it would be for a new big4 challenger, if Petrov didn't score a few late goals to help our mega rich team found 1 or 2 victories in those pre-season games.

mikeyboy said:
we're not in the financial situation where we need to do player exchanges. we should offer everton straight cash for lescott. nothing else.
If he puts in a transfer request it means he doesnt want to play for us, so simply put he can do one.

No matter what we paid in cash Everton were always getting the better deal. Now if we throw in Petrov as well we're really getting the short straw.

The season before last Petrov was our best player. He made and scored goals and gave us real pace. He was the only player we have had for a long while who could skin a defender get to the byline and pick out a man with a cross. I think if he goes to Everton, him and Jo would cause problems.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.