Phil Foden - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foden is absolutely tiny. There aren't many players with his stature starting league games in centre midfield let alone at 17 years old. Despite the hype around him and Diaz; Adarabioyo and Zinchenko were a lot more impressive in the matches they played together. Not much benefit to playing at the moment if he's just shrugged off the ball every time like he was against Leicester and Basel. Needs to slap on some muscle like McTominay at United.
Thank god for that! Someone talking sense about Foden. A gust of wind or a strong fart could blow him over. Loads on here pushing to get him in the first team. Now is way too soon. His time will come. Let him mature. Just because he’s English shouldn’t mean he should be being picked. Zinchenko is ahead of him in strength and maturity.

Just got to be patient with these kids. What the club and Pep is doing is exactly what i thought and said on here at the back end of last year.
It wont be next year til these guys see some serious minutes and they have gained valuable experience this season.
When you look at a 17 year old Phil Foden what do you see? A young local kid, City fan, lots of potential and a lot of support from the fans.
But realistically is he any better than the players already ahead of him? Silva, KDB, Ilkay, Dinho, and even out wide with Silva, Sterling and Sane.
We also have people comparing the Pep approach with his time with Barca and City. It's almost impossible to compare, as has already been pointed out, having a B team playing in the Segunda is far more beneficial than having an U23 team playing in a handful of games of a 3rd and 4th tier cup competition.
Also, Pep brought through Busquets in his first season and Jeffren in gis 3rd season with Barca, so for all those exoecting these kids to get an easy ride, then think again.
I'm more than happy to see these kids earn their opportunities and as i have already said it'll be the end of the year before that starts to happen.

Great job on the youth, keep it up

This kind of thing actually drives me a bit mad.

It's not Pep's job to know the ins and outs of Premier League rules, but someone at the club should know. Plenty of fans, and journalists picked up on it and noticed it, and someone at the club should be informing Pep these 2 kids are 1 game away from becoming the 2 youngest official Premier League winners in history, and how big a boost that would be to them, to the academy that's taken so much flak over youth development the past 10 years, and also to any other kids who are wondering if they've got a pathway into the team or have to leave like Sancho did.

Because it's not just the medal - it's actually being an official winner, in the history books, if they play on Saturday and they've won it, if they don't then they're just kids who got given a medal by the club - and I find it hard to believe the 2 lads don't care about that.

Was going to disagree with you when I started reading that but your argument turned me around. Good post.

Foden (and Diaz) coming on
Ideally should have come in earlier and more often but fingers crossed next season will happen.,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.