Phil Foden - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep on Foden.

Pep said:
When asked about the midfielder Guardiola said: “I don’t have words - I would like to have the right words to describe what I saw.

“You (the media, fans) are the lucky guys who saw the first game, for the first team for Manchester City, of this guy.

“It’s a long time since I saw something like this. His performance was another level. He’s 17-years-old, he’s a City player, he grew up in the academy, he loves the club, he’s a City fan and for us he’s a gift.

“He will stay with us training with us in the pre-season and maybe he’ll stay with us in season because he’s special."

That's very, very encouraging. Shows Pep totally understands the added significance of Foden making it compared to a Sancho or a Brahim.

Dare I say that we don't need Sanchez if we keep Foden in the first team squad?

Money saved could be spent on quality in defense. ;-)

You can say it to me.

We don't need Sanchez we just prefer to have him because he's seen as a nailed on solution.

But he would directly effect Foden's chances of football, even though he's a different position, as quite often, the player who makes way for Sanchez, will take Foden's place either positionally or just by sheer numbers of bodies in attack, who need games.

I would prefer more Foden & less Sanchez, & Pep to sign on for longer, to bring through Foden & several others.

I would be prepared to gamble whether it lessens our chances of winning the title next season against us winning it every year, with a small core of homegrown players, in the near future.

You can say it to me.

We don't need Sanchez we just prefer to have him because he's seen as a nailed on solution.

But he would directly effect Foden's chances of football, even though he's a different position, as quite often, the player who makes way for Sanchez, will take Foden's place either positionally or just by sheer numbers of bodies in attack, who need games.

I would prefer more Foden & less Sanchez, & Pep to sign on for longer, to bring through Foden & several others.

I would be prepared to gamble whether it lessens our chances of winning the title next season against us winning it every year, with a small core of homegrown players, in the near future.
we've been screaming for a really young talent to shine.. this could be the lad.. up to pep, but his comments seem encouraging.

Pep on Foden.

That's very, very encouraging. Shows Pep totally understands the added significance of Foden making it compared to a Sancho or a Brahim.

Fantastic... only 17 but hey if you're good enough(see Mbappe).

Team has been crying out for someone to come through the academy and a local lad to boot.. adds that connection from within the team to the fans imo.

Pep on Foden.

That is very promising!

People assume because we have the best academy facilities in the world we should be pumping Messi and Ronaldo's out left right and centre, the truth is unless the player themselves has the right attitude and potential then we won't get anywhere....
Hopefully the new influx of young lads we have now will get their heads down and develop into future first team players!

It was interesting to hear Pep at the end of last season complain about the lack of (or very little) competition the youth players have, he even compared the English youth league to that of the one in Spain and Germany, and went on to say how many fans the youngsters play infront of.

For all the relative disappointment that Pep is hardly better than Pellegrini or Mancini in giving youth a chance so far (he is better though, to be fair), I'm absolutely 100% fucking certain that Foden and him as a coach are the perfect combination for Phil to further flourish in his development.

That is very promising!

People assume because we have the best academy facilities in the world we should be pumping Messi and Ronaldo's out left right and centre, the truth is unless the player themselves has the right attitude and potential then we won't get anywhere....
Hopefully the new influx of young lads we have now will get their heads down and develop into future first team players!

It was interesting to hear Pep at the end of last season complain about the lack of (or very little) competition the youth players have, he even compared the English youth league to that of the one in Spain and Germany, and went on to say how many fans the youngsters play infront of.

I didn't see the game, but more to the point imo is how he treats the other kids who didn't particularly excell.

Because on another day, they may be capable of hitting a high level & Foden is a bit quiet.

Whether Foden turns out to be the best or not, we have a lot of fucking good second bests, & we should now start to consider that.

I didn't see the game, but more to the point imo is how he treats the other kids who didn't particularly excell.

Because on another day, they may be capable of hitting a high level & Foden is a bit quiet.

Whether Foden turns out to be the best or not, we have a lot of fucking good second bests, & we should now start to consider that.

How many second bests make it at top European clubs though? Barca and Madrid for example probably bin off many second best youngsters, as do Bayern.

I've seen our youngsters play and not once have I thought he'll be a big player him!
Like Kelechi, a good goalscorer but his all round game wasn't great, that was the difference between him and Rashford...

We could have kept Kelechi but in reality he was going to get zero game time over Aguero and Jesus, and a young player that needs to improve won't do by featuring here and there, or for 20 minutes every week.
Kelechi needed first team football playing 80% game time every week, and its not practical for a club of our stature to give him that when you've got world class talent at your disposal that are better at scoring goals, and also have more to their game than what he could offer.

Thought he was excellent last night/this morning, one of the real positives from
the game. Guardiola's comments sound promising - it'd be brilliant to see him integrated into the first team squad this season.

How many second bests make it at top European clubs though? Barca and Madrid for example probably bin off many second best youngsters, as do Bayern.

They don't have to make it with us, but we'll end up getting a lot more for them when we sell them if they're given a chance in the first team. Brad Smith was nowhere near good enough for Liverpool, but Bournemouth ended up paying £6 million for him based on a few first team appearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.