Phil Foden - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate go and have a lay down. At 17 Foden is a class player, huge potential and literally the world at his feet if Pep introduces him to the top flight properly (which I think he will). But to say he should be a starter in place of Silva is just ridiculous at this point in time.

He won’t be a starter this season. I don’t think he will be a starter next season either, but I am 100% sure he will be integrated into the first team in the next couple of seasons. Let Pep take care of him, he knows what he’s doing.
You REALLY think Phil Foden wont be a starter for Manchester City NEXT season?? Really.?
And your telling me to go and have a lay down....All the way from Australia...Land of Wisdom,clearly....

Foden has the potential to surpass Silva but he is definitely not better than him now, jesus christ you are making him seem like a messiah. Foden looks phenomenal FOR HIS AGE, he does not have the stamina yet to play a whole 90 minutes in this team, we run for ages, and he cannot yet handle the physicality of this league yet, Silva is small but he has muscle that lets him resist tackles, Foden is still twiggish.

The ideal thing with Foden is to give him sub appearances when games are basically won, or cup games against lesser opposition. Same with Brahim btw.
Absolute Rubbish...sir
Foden doesnt need to only come on when games are "basically won" or only against "lesser" teams.
You prat.
Foden needs to be playing against the best footballers on the planet.Thats how highly i rate him.

If he's playing exclusively EDS football then it'll act as a small bridge between where he's at and the first team proper, which could help compensate for a lack of gametime.

He needs experience in some form at the least. He's got the technique, he's got the intelligence, but he's maybe leaving that 'savvy' nature that the best players of his ilk have. It wouldn't do him harm throwing him in the deep end so he can learn a thing or two that he wouldn't elsewhere.

The club need to figure out the best way to keep him challenged. He could be a gem and the club need to make sure they're both squeezing all the talent they can out of him and also making sure he's doing his part to ensure that happens.

Yes i do but Yaya offers very little these days in case you hadnt noticed! ? If you are good enough you are old enough. Foden is good enough. And 17 isnt ridiculously young. If he doesn't get a chance in the next 18mths he will be off like Sancho. Would rather he put faith in Foden than spent 40 odd million on Bernardo Silva who looks ok but not a world beater to me.

Sane didn't look a world beater until the second half of last season. Bernardo will come good. No reason he can't do that in addition to Foden getting minutes though.

Sane didn't look a world beater until the second half of last season. Bernardo will come good. No reason he can't do that in addition to Foden getting minutes though.

I hope you are right. Are the moment Bernardo looks very expensive for what he can do.

Yes i do but Yaya offers very little these days in case you hadnt noticed! ? If you are good enough you are old enough. Foden is good enough. And 17 isnt ridiculously young. If he doesn't get a chance in the next 18mths he will be off like Sancho. Would rather he put faith in Foden than spent 40 odd million on Bernardo Silva who looks ok but not a world beater to me.

You don't make sense. You're saying that understand Toure offers something totally different to Foden yet advocate him taking his place.
Foden isn't good enough in a defensive midfield role to displace Tiure. I agreeToure is 1 year too far into his City career but currently he's our only real cover for Fernandinho.
Foden looks an excellent prospect but to suggest he's good enough for our first team is simply wrong currently.
He will get chances and 18 months is a very long time.
It's incredible rare for a player to be playing at 17 especially one of Foden's physique and style.

I thought Gundogan was bought with the intention of playing him in the pivot role? I think Dinho surprised Pep with his quality to do that and the injury layoff are the reasons we haven't seen it much, he will end up playing there more when Dinho starts tiring IMO. I agree people need to stop worrying Foden is a City fan, has a good head on his shoulders, he's not going to listen to the know it all press trying to unsettle him and get him to leave "before City ruin him". He knows he's young and understands he will have to be patient but the rewards are there for that long term because the club do believe in him.

I believe Gundogan could be excellent in the Fernandinho role. I think you may be right why you say he was bought with the idea of the pivot. I do think Pep has slightly readdressed his ideas a little.
He was very vocal and clear that it was impossible to controls the game they way he had hoped because of how much the ball is in the air.
I think he realises he needs Fernandinho's graft and defensive qualities.

I agree Foden fm has time, Pep has been very supportive of him.

You don't make sense. You're saying that understand Toure offers something totally different to Foden yet advocate him taking his place.
Foden isn't good enough in a defensive midfield role to displace Tiure. I agreeToure is 1 year too far into his City career but currently he's our only real cover for Fernandinho.
Foden looks an excellent prospect but to suggest he's good enough for our first team is simply wrong currently.
It's incredible rare for a player to be playing at 17 especially one of Foden's physique and style.

I'm wrong in your opinion.! Lol.

Let me spell this out to you again. I don't think Yaya is good enough for a place on our bench these days. I think Foden deserves a place on that bench. I fully recognise that they play different roles. But Yaya isn't pulling his considerable weight these days, he isnt offering any cover as far as I can see as Ferns is starting every game. Yaya only comes on occasionally at the end when games are well and truly safe. In case you hadn't noticed he hardly ever intercepts play these days and cant keep up with play. That bench place deserves to go to Foden. Essentialy in a nutshell you would clearly prefer to have someone on the bench who offers very little, can't effect a game and has no future at City. Based I assume on the fact that he has been a great servant for our club. I prefer to look to the future.!

Owen, Rooney, Walcott, Wilshire and Lennon all had their debuts in the premier league at 17 or younger. I guess you either just don't rate Foden as highly as those players or think that their early debut hindered their progress and was wrong? Can't have it both ways based on your age argument.

Last edited:
I hope you are right. Are the moment Bernardo looks very expensive for what he can do.

I always give new players (especially new players to the league) a season to get into the swing of things. I have huge faith in Bernardo given his performances for Monaco against us last season. I don't get to many games but saw the 5-3 and he was the best player on the pitch.

G

We need someone on the bench (or rotating the first team) to cover Fernandinho's position in case of injury. I don't think Foden is at all suited to the role, but I would sooner have Gundogan, Danilo or Delph (Danilo to LB) over Yaya in that position based on this season's performances. As Danilo and Gundogan normally make the bench, there's no need to have Yaya there as well IMO, making room for Foden.

I always give new players (especially new players to the league) a season to get into the swing of things. I have huge faith in Bernardo given his performances for Monaco against us last season. I don't get to many games but saw the 5-3 and he was the best player on the pitch.

G

We need someone on the bench (or rotating the first team) to cover Fernandinho's position in case of injury. I don't think Foden is at all suited to the role, but I would sooner have Gundogan, Danilo or Delph (Danilo to LB) over Yaya in that position based on this season's performances. As Danilo and Gundogan normally make the bench, there's no need to have Yaya there as well IMO, making room for Foden.

Precisely remove Yaya makes way foe another player like Gundog then there is possibly room for Foden. Shame some on here can't see simple logic like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.