Phil Foden - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks i didn't know that,each kid is different as to when they stop growing,phil is still very small and might be having a growth spurt,we don't know,what we do know is that pep and the medical team know more than we do.
I don't know if you saw this article in the Daily Fail Karen (for once quite complimentary to us). They talked to Jim Cassell with a focus on Foden and he actually mentions waiting for that final growth spurt.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ionel-Messi-Man-City-boss-discovered-him.html

'I look at him now and think, "Come on Philip". We are just waiting for the next growth thing. After that he will fly. City haven't seen a fraction yet of what he has.

'Once he grows again and goes on a run he will be going past three or four players with the ball. Like he did as a kid, just like Messi. He will be in an England squad in 18 months for certain.'

I don't know if you saw this article in the Daily Fail Karen (for once quite complimentary to us). They talked to Jim Cassell with a focus on Foden and he actually mentions waiting for that final growth spurt.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ionel-Messi-Man-City-boss-discovered-him.html

It's a decent article,even if the comparisons with Messi are somewhat optimistic and unrealistic.

In regards his International performances....he looks like he has greater freedom to express himself,the pressure to perform is far less and so his natural game will come much more easy.We will definitely see that in a City shirt with time.

It's a decent article,even if the comparisons with Messi are somewhat optimistic and unrealistic.

In regards his International performances....he looks like he has greater freedom to express himself,the pressure to perform is far less and so his natural game will come much more easy.We will definitely see that in a City shirt with time.
Any comparison with Messi can usually be laughed off although that said they're quite correct in highlighting how he seems to just glide across a pitch and can lose multiple markers with a quick shimmy. At the moment at least in regards to appearances, goals and assists he's pretty much up there with Messi at the same age. Whether he can get any where close to the progression of Messi from here on in is another thing of course, we can but wait and see.

Thanks i hadn't seen that,it won't stop people wanting him to be pushed right now,we can't have his career wrecked by injuries because we didn't have a bit of patience at the beginning

It's only with the knowledge of Messi's career that the comparisons look ridiculous. We have an U17 world cup winner, voted player of the tournament, who is now beginning to play for one of Europe's best teams. At 18, that is Messiesque.

Messi is quite possibly the greatest of all time but Foden is a prodigious talent. When he is 32, we may well look at another 18 year old and say that comparisons with Foden are ridiculous.

Last edited:
Good to hear that. What stood out in particular? Was he dribbling more etc?
What I quite liked he tried to play as if playing for City, didn't over complicate it and moved past players when it was the best option, the frustrating part was that he moved into areas with his arms out asking for the ball, however the players on the ball and didn't have the confidence in making the pass or deemed it as if they were playing him into trouble and resorted to easier option. Just looked so much above anyone else bar Nelson who also looks a talent

I can't help but feel he is so much better than the others he is wasted playing a Silva style no10 role finding those pockets of space. He would be better dropping deeper more often because he can just glide past people and carry the ball into those pockets to then play people through. He would do far more damage. The game can pass him by otherwise when lesser players fail to drill the ball into him in favour of a sideways pass.
For England I completely agree, he could dictate his play himself from a bit deeper. For City he will get the ball earlier, more often and in better areas

What was the story with Jimmy Cassell? Do you know why we let him go? The article seemed to suggest he went prematurely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.