Phil Foden - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why we’re discussing Phil Foden performances when he gets so few minutes on the pitch. What are his appearance stats this season to date? How many matches has he sat/been omitted from the bench?

You watch how Foden plays he isn’t like anything we have in the squad.

I think in some ways he'd be our best KDB replacement, as he has the same mobility and tenacity off the ball to win it back, force mistakes and we're missing that with Gundogan, Mahrez and Bernardo when they've been tried there.

Hopefully we'll run up an early lead in a game soon and Pep will give him a good 25-30 minutes to show that.

I think in some ways he'd be our best KDB replacement, as he has the same mobility and tenacity off the ball to win it back, force mistakes and we're missing that with Gundogan, Mahrez and Bernardo when they've been tried there.

Hopefully we'll run up an early lead in a game soon and Pep will give him a good 25-30 minutes to show that.

Me too. But I also disagree with the suggestion that he should be in the England setup. It's clearly too soon for him when he isn't getting regular game time here.

Me too. But I also disagree with the suggestion that he should be in the England setup. It's clearly too soon for him when he isn't getting regular game time here.

Surely those places are reserved for the " new world class kids " who play for the rags ?

Completely agree.

And he would then get a full England cap. Waddle is spot on with what he wrote for BBC Sport. We have Alli, Sterling and Lingard but need a Gazza. Foden and Maddison are more that type of player. But they need to play for their clubs more before they are full internationals. Foden should be in our side playing the box to box De Bruyne role.

The crux of the matter is that City can't expect England to do their work for them. There might well be a desire on the part of the FA to promote more young English players but if the club won't promote the player, then I don't see why England should. Foden could probably take to international football quite easily but he'll fall behind others if he doesn't get to play for City. I think that would be fair enough. If you were a young player getting regular starts and Foden took your spot in the national team, how would you feel? I'm not saying that player exists but you can't set a precedent and pick a player who has hardly ever got on the pitch in the Prem. Wales have a different set of circumstances and Matt Smith is a starter in Holland and had already been subbed on for Wales, I think. Giggs hasn't got the numbers Southgate has and can get away with experimenting. For Wales, the downside is almost non-existent and there are multiple upsides. Nobody will complain about a raw player turning out for Wales because there aren't that many options if he wants to try something new. I'm sure Southgate could try a few young lads without if being a disaster but he might encounter a bit of friction behind the scenes maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.