Philip Green

No I don't misunderstand mate thats why I questioned its use in cases like this. Clearly if an MP became aware of say the cover up of a business that was doing something which endangered the general public or of an individual stealing money then clearly its important that MP's do have the right and ability to speak out and be safe from action from the other party - ie Parliament. Its been a long standing right. But cases like this and the Giggs one etc do I agree seem to be more about MP's or in this case a Lord possibly abusing the privilege more for their own notoriety and maybe the thrill of their own moment in the sun. Clearly with something around for so long the world has changed so much that it is open to be used in a manner that just could not have previously been conceived but I cannot imagine MP's considering any changes or curtailment now.

Then it was me who misunderstood!

No, I wasn't advocating any change or restriction to it, I don't think that's a good idea at all. It relies on MPs to be responsible about its use. I'm not sure Hain is being so here, that's all. A bit of a dodgy precedent really.

No, I wasn't advocating any change or restriction to it, I don't think that's a good idea at all. It relies on MPs to be responsible about its use. I'm not sure Hain is being so here, that's all. A bit of a dodgy precedent really.

I was just imagining...like now.....just having got their sovereignty back as some MP's will see it then suggesting they lose or have heavily amended one of their privileges - that shit WOULD hit the fan ha ha

Without defending what Green may have done in any way, I must say I'm a bit uneasy with the way Peter Hain has circumvented the courts using Parliamentary privilege like this. Whatever I might think of that court decision, the judiciary is there to apply the law.

Deciding to just ignore it and do so from the safety of the chamber is not something to be done lightly. There's no limit on that absolute privilege.

Me too. This is outrageous bollocks.

Parliamentary privilege exists so that the business of Parliament can go on unimpeded by the justice system. It is one of the key protections that we have to separate the legislature and the judicial and was extremely hard won in 1689 to ensure freedom of speech was protected in debate. It is not there to produce idle gossip for the red top rags of the world and social media to craw over.

That's how this works. The court doesn't get to interfere in the operation of Parliament and Parliament doesn't get to interfere with the operation of the courts. When that breaks down, it has to be for a spectacularly good reason. Having a bit of a laugh at some rich cretin is not that reason.

Phillip Green deserves the right to a fair trial. I don't know or care if he's guilty, he deserves that right either way and the courts will do their job to decide. Superinjunctions are put in place because the court fears that that will not be possible, and they have a legal basis on which to present this upon. It's not some old boys homoerotic quid pro quo mates helping each other nonsense. It serves a real purpose.

The rule of law in this country feels like it's under attack to some degree at the moment or perhaps I'm just noticing it more recently. I'm starting to understand all of those great figures who talk about how our rights need constant vigilance to be protected. It's seemingly never ending.

About as dodgy as Green raiding the BHS pension fund, selling off all the assets and then flogging it for £1.

The man is a despicable individual who does not deserve protection from the law just because he can afford it. I hope he goes to jail. He certainly deserves to at least be tried.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.