PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

Why are journalists all 100% sure that City would have lost at CAS if the time barred stuff was admitted? I mean, is there any chance that City would have won their case re those elements if they were allowed to?

I've been thinking about this the last few days. My thinking can be slow and deliberate so it can take me a few days and a lot of thinking to get my head round things properly. We don't know with certainty what the PL have got or what the specifics of the various charges are.

But there's at least two substantive charges, and we think we know they relate to Mancini's contract with Al Jazira and image rights payments to players. With respect to the former, the PL would have to prove Mancini did not fulfil that contract to provide at least 4 days consultancy per year. Conversely, we need to show he did, and we should be cleared on any of the charges relating to that.

The image rights one is more difficult to call. Those were paid by Fordham from 2013-14 to 2017-18 as far as I can see but the charges also seem to pre-date 2013. Fordham paid us for those rights in the 2012-13 financial year and we assigned the intellectual property of those image rights to them, which they then apparently paid. It's a strange, but not illegal, arrangement that I suspect was used to generate revenue in that financial year when we thought there was a chance we could escape punishment using the Annex XI provisions. I wonder if we'd have done it in different circumstances? This is the one I feel we'll be more vulnerable on than the Mancini charges.

But both of these were part of the material put out by Der Spiegel, based on the hacked emails. The question is, if these are all they've got, then there's nothing new from 2018 but neither of these came up in the UEFA charges arising from Der Spiegel articles. So did UEFA decide they weren't worth pursuing or did they try to focus solely on the sponsorship stuff that they thought was the most egregious breach? Either way, it gives me confidence.

One thing we also know from the previous battle with UEFA is that we didn't cooperate (on legal advice I might add) because we thought they were 'fishing'. I wonder if we took the same stance with the PL, who then had to resort to stuff that was known to UEFA but they didn't pursue, potentially for reasons I outlined above.

I therefore suspect there's little new in these charges and that mainly it's a rehash of the Der Spiegel stuff, and stuff that was either time-barred or that UEFA didn't pursue. And out of that, they've generated dozens of charges making things seem much worse than they really are.
Thanks for that response, very informative and much appreciated.

It's all great & well & completely understandable that we view FFP as unfairly targeting us hence why we hate it, so if asked for an alternative to FFP, what would/should Manchester City Football Club suggest that is fair, feasible & workable?

I believe we should have a fair alternative prepared & ready as a suggestion to fix the mess that football's become.

Why are journalists all 100% sure that City would have lost at CAS if the time barred stuff was admitted? I mean, is there any chance that City would have won their case re those elements if they were allowed to?
I imagine it’s because a lot of fans of other clubs want us to be guilty. They are selling a product, if they want people to buy it they need to tell them what they want to read.

Or they are cunts.

Take your pick.

As City have stated over the PLs accusations, the time-barred stuff prevented us from being able to prove that was bullshit too... hence why the club welcomed being able to prove once and for all we are completely innocent.
The media probably know this already, but saying that doesn't get them the clicks they want!

It's all great & well & completely understandable that we view FFP as unfairly targeting us hence why we hate it, so if asked for an alternative to FFP, what would/should Manchester City Football Club suggest that is fair, feasible & workable?

I believe we should have a fair alternative prepared & ready as a suggestion to fix the mess that football's become.

Financial fair play works for us at the moment for what the club wants. Keeps us at the top of the tree in the premier league and stops Newcastle or any other owner wanting to spend from doing so. The club have worked hard to get this far and things like the academy providing a lot of income to be investing back into the playing squad.

The only alternative is not to have it and leg clubs spend what they want. It’s worked for well over a 150 years since football was invented, why did we need to change it?

There is no chance that we would have lost due to those two items. On the Etesalat case CAS said: “There is no evidence that the alleged payments continued after the introduction of ffp.” On the other, our accounts would have been a complete defence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.