PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

It seems to be accepted that one potential reason for these charges is because of pressure from certain clubs being placed on the PL. It has also been said that the PL would not have listed all these charges flippantly (if that’s the right term to use here).

However, let’s just say that the first sentence is true and that there isn’t substantial evidence to secure a verdict of the most serious charges and that instead these charges are simply to set a nouse around the clubs neck for several years.

With that in mind these are the potential impacts that these charges may be designed to bring:

- It means that people doubt our success as being real. Bad PR etc.
- It could put potential transfer targets off from joining the club.
- It could put potential sponsors off from partnering with the club.
- It may even put some fans off from supporting the club.

If I’m the PL and an organisation which has openly said it doesn’t want one club dominating, that Utd being unsuccessful is bad for the division and that a new name should be on the trophy every few years then the desired impact of these charges could be as follows:

- The manager responsible for City’s dominance chooses to walk away fed up of the constant stories and fights (he won’t though).
- With some top players not joining due to the charges we don’t reach our true potential.
- Our opposition grows in stature and becomes more successful due to them being able to sign players we could not.
Despite the PL investigation before the charges we have been able to sign Haaland, Grealish et al. Plus our commercial revenues have grown and we have had new investment in the club. Thankfully, City have a good story to tell and can present the facts to potential signings and potential investors/partners. Let's hope this garbage does not impact us going forwards.

It seems to be accepted that one potential reason for these charges is because of pressure from certain clubs being placed on the PL. It has also been said that the PL would not have listed all these charges flippantly (if that’s the right term to use here).

However, let’s just say that the first sentence is true and that there isn’t substantial evidence to secure a verdict of the most serious charges and that instead these charges are simply to set a nouse around the clubs neck for several years.

With that in mind these are the potential impacts that these charges may be designed to bring:

- It means that people doubt our success as being real. Bad PR etc.
- It could put potential transfer targets off from joining the club.
- It could put potential sponsors off from partnering with the club.
- It may even put some fans off from supporting the club.

If I’m the PL and an organisation which has openly said it doesn’t want one club dominating, that Utd being unsuccessful is bad for the division and that a new name should be on the trophy every few years then the desired impact of these charges could be as follows:

- The manager responsible for City’s dominance chooses to walk away fed up of the constant stories and fights (he won’t though).
- With some top players not joining due to the charges we don’t reach our true potential and become less dominant.
- Our opposition grows in stature and becomes more successful due to them being able to sign players we could not.

From what I can see, there are major benefits to having these charges around City’s neck for both our rivals & the PL regardless of whether they have enough evidence or not.
There's a lot of "if" in the above.

There's a lot of "if" in the above.

I don’t think there is. Let’s face it, it’s highly likely the rivals clubs would have been in the ears of the PL. The impacts of the charges, if this drags on, will will likely happen too for the most part. The PR bit is already going on. There’s also a huge chance some players will be put off joining us and if that happens they may join rival clubs. Potentially Bellingham could be the first of those but hopefully not. This all comes to our detriment and to the benefit of the others objectives without us having to be found guilty.

Next, you've seen the number of charges and the range of issues they cover. Each and every one of those will have to be looked at carefully in order to determine whether the club is guilty of the breaches of PL rules alleged. That will take a significant amount of time.

Just to work the maths through, imagine it took in 'court' half a day to debate each charge. That's over fifty days, so over ten weeks of 'court' time. Just juggling the diaries so that our team, the PL team and the panel are all available over the same ten week period will take some doing, and in practical terms that means it won't happen soon. I should stress that half a day on each count is, in my view, a massive understatement, I just use that figure to illustrate the problem.

This is completely flawed because the statement bolded is not true.

The charges all overlap over multiple years so 1 potential controversy - ie Mancini's Al Jazira contract - would constitute about 30 charges.

They might spend a few days arguing the ins and outs of that issue, and then when a conclusion is reached the decision will mean City are guilty/not guilty of all 30 charges.

Similarly there's 30 charges for non-cooperation which cover 5 years. That will be decided for/against City all at once.

The charges all overlap over multiple years so 1 potential controversy - ie Mancini's Al Jazira contract - would constitute about 30 charges.

They might spend a few days arguing the ins and outs of that issue, and then when a conclusion is reached the decision will mean City are guilty/not guilty of all 30 charges.

Similarly there's 30 charges for non-cooperation which cover 5 years. That will be decided for/against City all at once.

holy fuck

I don’t think there is. Let’s face it, it’s highly likely the rivals clubs would have been in the ears of the PL. The impacts of the charges, if this drags on, will will likely happen too for the most part. The PR bit is already going on. There’s also a huge chance some players will be put off joining us and if that happens they may join rival clubs. Potentially Bellingham could be the first of those but hopefully not. This all comes to our detriment and to the benefit of the others objectives without us having to be found guilty.
When we win the case, which I'm sure we will, the club really need to put this to bed. If that means a press conference explaining exactly what has been going on behind the scenes, with the Pl and the red shirt clubs, and their pet poodle spurs, then it needs doing. Time for them to feel a little hot around the collar for a change.

I read something similar. The article was basically saying the same 10 offences committed over 10 years =100. That's a bit simplistic I know but that was the gist of the argument. I can't recall who wrote that article or whether the author had any real insight into the affair.

I read something similar. The article was basically saying the same 10 offences committed over 10 years =100. That's a bit simplistic I know but that was the gist of the argument. I can't recall who wrote that article or whether the author had any real insight into the affair.

It's even more overlappy than that. A lot of the rules you break 1 by breaking another. So if the PL called for someone at City to come in and assist them with their inquiry into and they didn't, it would break W.1, W.2, W.16 and B.18 simultaneously.

Rule B.18 is essentially "follow rule W1 promptly".

And if the PL decided that was an attempt to block or circumvent their investigation then it would break B.15 too.

So that's 1 action - rejecting a request for a specific person to come in and speak to the PL investigators - that generates 5 charges per season they're investigating (which is 5) so 25 of the 115.

Maybe, you never what's going on in someone else's mind, but I don't see it like that.

The one area where we are bang to rights, I think, is on the non-co-operation. My guess is that we took a strategic decision, on advice, not to co-operate until made to and to take the pinch on the inevitable charge of non-co-operation. They make their point about non-co-operation - which in fairness is a valid one - by hitting us (or asking the independent panel to hit us) with a massive fine. CAS said the fine in similar circumstances should be €10m when about 20 grand seems to be the going rate for blatant racism or smashing up your opponent's team bus. So 10m was a whopper.

I think if it came out that we have been charged with 5 legitimate counts of non cooperation and over 100 counts that the FA knew were going to fail, that I think brings their whole organisation into disrepute.

And for anyone thinking 'yeah but it will never come out,' I think that's what Matt Hancock said.

The breaches for refusing to co-operate are for the period from 2018 onwards. Is that right?

So I suppose that means the club hasn't, in the view of the PL, provided all the documents necessary to eliminate the possibility of wrongdoing on certain issues since the investigation began.

In that case, and assuming we haven't co-operated with the issues listed in the "charges", presumably the only evidence they have is the discussions in the DS emails.

So then, my question. If the only evidence they have is the DS emails, which iirc only relates to one particular year in each case, surely Ric is right that the PL have included all the other years in the list of breaches purely because we haven't provided them with the information to show that the alleged malfeasance didn't happen in the first place, and didn't recur in any other years. Or put it another way, they only have "evidence" of a breach for each issue for a single year, the breaches for other years are merely imputed from our reluctance to co-operate. Isn't that incredibly weak from the PL?

Fucking hell, did we leave the grass too long every season ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.