PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

I spent a chunk of my weekend arguing with someone who claimed to be trained in law that the CAS judgement was actually quite clear that City had broken multiple FFP rules if you just knew how to read between the lines. A little bit of education is a dangerous thing.
Still that’s one less person you’ll decide youll never need to interact in any capacity with ever again, win win.

It was explicitly mentioned in the King's Speech a couple of weeks ago and there is a cross-party consensus that this now needs to happen. Our case will not likely be heard for another twelve months at the earliest but I expect the regulator to be in post at some point during 2024.

Equally, Richard Masters did not come out of Westminster smelling of roses with many MPs distinctly unimpressed with his performance. I'm almost certain he will be the first casualty of the regulator. Whilst he is not necessarily the person driving the charges against us, he is the figurehead for the old regime and his position is compromised. I don't think City enjoy as good a relationship with him as they do with Ceferin at UEFA but there is, admittedly, some speculation on my part.
That all sounds good I thought I hope they have the power to change the panel and or review their findings.

The PL is bound by UK law and therefore statute of limitations
This is where the battle begins. As someone cited yesterday, it's like men only members clubs being challenged in the courts & being forced to admit females.

The club rule (like FFP & UK/EU Anti-Competition & Monopolies Laws) remains the club rule, until challenged in law.

City are aware these rules contravene UK & EU Law, but we don't want to be the ones to bring them down.

We'd rather someone else do it, OR an IREF being setup & revising all rules governing football to be in line with UK Law.

Either way, football will in future be treated as any other sector of business, which suits City fine mate.

The one thing that's just occurred to me is Everton's points deduction being applied straight away.

If they applied a points deduction to City before an appeal.......
All this talk of Everton's appeal is confusing me.

I had thought that for months we have been told that, unlike with UEFA/CAS, the PL process does not accommodate any right of appeal

Obviously there is - who are Everton appealing to?

How would that affect us?

Based of some of the weird sponsorship deals we've had from companies that are clearly owned by City, I'm finding it hard not to believe we won't be charged with something. I can't remember the betting company we were sponsored by but the picture of the CEO was just some stock image from google ha, definitely some dodgy stuff going on
Both Liverpool and United have had betting sponsors the same... the Liverpool company's CEO had zero online presence and a stock photo... United's sponsor (HTH) had no online presence at all... funnily enough, the media were pretty quiet about those!

Both Liverpool and United have had betting sponsors the same... the Liverpool company's CEO had zero online presence and a stock photo... United's sponsor (HTH) had no online presence at all... funnily enough, the media were pretty quiet about those!

Didn't know that ha. Just shows that everyone is at it!
Whatever they end up charging us with I can guarantee every other club would have done the same somewhere down the line

I think the PL are going to charge us with something given all the time taken and the pressure to do so and that this is the end of the road, with no more right to appeal. Every club could be charged with something if you looked hard enough.It’s even possible that City have failed and had no idea they had such are the complexity and vagueness of FFP. Who knows?

I’ve no idea how bad it will be but City will have a feel for it and will have a plan for each eventuality.

I think there is only one way that we don’t get charged for anything significant (rightly or wrongly) and that involves political pressure on the Government from Abu Dhabi in terms of existing and future investment in the UK. If SM is going to be called a cheat for investing then it’s questionable whether that would continue you would think. I’ve no idea if this is a real possibility but City would have surely considered talking to people at a higher level than the PL. It’s also possible that an Independent regulator intervenes though it might be a little too late for that.

City seem very confident of victory particularly with Khaldoon stating that he will have a lot to say after the hearing that he can’t say now. This gives me hope but then everybody is publicly confident going into these things.

Had our emails not been hacked I don’t think any of this would have happened and I’m certain that every club has private information they want to keep to themselves.

In the end I’ll be glad when this is over if only so the cloud is gone. I will also try to remember that the rules themselves are the problem and not our interpretation.
The PL have charged us.

From what little is known publicly about the case, and findings from the CAS verdict, it is entirely possible that City could be found guilty of not co-operating with another investigation. However, Ioannidis (leading sports lawyer and professor at Sheffield Hallam University) and Plumley (sports finance expert and also at Sheffield Hallam University) contend that the Premier League must instead prove its most damning allegations - held to a higher standard than a normal civil case because of their seriousness - to satisfy the judging panel.

"It would not be good enough for the Premier League to argue that Manchester City failed to co-operate with the Premier League’s investigation," they write. "The Premier League would have to go beyond this, by proving that Manchester City, as a matter of fact and evidence, failed to produce accurate financial information (and/or lied about it) in relation to their revenue, within the meaning of the current regulations.

"This is not an easy burden for the Premier League. But it should not be easy, because the allegations produced are of a very serious nature.

Interesting that they reference this.. could be turned on the PL I guess is their point.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.