PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

That’s a good point.

Personally, I genuinely hope FFP not only stays in place, but is made significantly more stringent.
It now benefits us more than any other club so the rest of English football can fuck the fuck off and have lots of fun watching us destroy their precious game season after season whilst they all cut each others throats arguing over points deductions.

They knowingly sowed the seeds. Now we get to watch them reap the whirlwind.

And it’s glorious.
So inevitably it will be adapted so that it benefits the usual suspects rather than us

But wasn't that the supposedly PR aim of ffp, to stop clubs producing huge loses.

If it wasn't for tribalism & bitter sports journalists, we'd be heralded as an ffp success. Going from losing £100m a season to not only break even but making record turnovers.

I know it definitely applies in the CL & I think the PL have mirrored it too.
Does any revenue City receive from businesses trading from the Etihad campus(eg, rent) count towards our FFP/PSR calculation.

Does any revenue City receive from businesses trading from the Etihad campus(eg, rent) count towards our FFP/PSR calculation.

Rent yes. We own the land with the council with an 80/20 split in our favour. This applies to the new arena and presumably will extend to the hotel when that's done. Additionally, there will be rents from new independent businesses on site when all completed.

With the arena there is potential for further spin-off as well because we have a 50% share in the business via a Joint Venture with Oakview. I've heard contrasting views about that though as regards PSR

This is EXACTLY what City suggested, plus new owners being allowed an defined period of owner investment to enable them to challenge, & we got fucked off.

HOWEVER, as soon as the two Milan clubs faced difficulties selling up because of FFP restrictions, the rules were quickly changed by UEFA/G14 to allow unrelated new owners, three seasons of unlimited owner investment to get their new clubs up & running.

This is EXACTLY what City suggested, but we were told in no uncertain terms to fuck off.

It wasn't unlimited investment and I think it was 4 years not 3 but subject to a "plan" being accepted by UEFA showing when the clubs would be within the prescribed limits.

The point of your sentiment still stands of course.

Last edited:
I know it definitely applies in the CL & I think the PL have mirrored it too.

For the Premier League the allowable loss is £5million a year but £35million a year with owner investment. Hence you see the £115mil figure loss figure quoted over a 3 figure.

United had no owner investment and were limited to £15mil over a 3 year monitoring period.

For Europe, I'm not sure it still applies under the new UEFA rules. Too lazy right now to find out :)

EDIT: £35million a year is £105mil over 3 years and not the £115 mil ive quoted above :)

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware, all inward revenue counts towards FFP, & Sheikh Mansour can spend what he likes on everything at City, apart from anything directly related to the first team squad, which tells you all you need to know about FFP.

This is what they did so City couldn't challenge the elite on the pitch. Take Newcastle for instance. They need to bolster their squad but can't because they're apparently nearly up to their FFP limit.

There's even talk of them having to sell one from Guimarães, Isak or Botman, so they can use the funds to bolster their squad.

However, if PIF wanted to spend £2bn rebuilding St James' Park, that's perfectly fine. But if they spent a few million more on their first team squad, they're in danger of falling foul of FFP.

This is why FFP's so unfair. How're Newcastle supposed to compete with the elite clubs, when they have to sell their best players to the elite clubs, so they can invest in other areas of their squad?

This was one of the points City made when UEFA were telling us to take our time & build our squad organically.

Because FFP limits an ambitious club from making the necessary first team squad investment to challenge the elite clubs, they're in danger of the elite clubs picking off their best players, which will keep the chasing clubs right where they are as FFP intended.

Clubs like Newcastle will essentially become a feeder club for the big boys. This is the unfair logical conclusion of FFP.

For the Premier Leagie the alowable loss is £5million a year but £35million a year with owner investment. Hence you see the £115mil figure loss figure quoted over a 3 figure.

United had no owner investment and were limited to £15mil over a 3 year monitoring period.

For Europe, I'm not sure it still applies under UEFA new rules. Too lazy right now to find out :)
I'm specifically talking about new unrelated owners like Todd Bowlegs at the Chavs.

I'm pretty sure they get three years of accelerated spending, before they have to balance the books in year four. I could be wrong though.

I'm specifically talking about new unrelated owners like Todd Bowlegs at the Chavs.

I'm pretty sure they get three years of accelerated spending, before they have to balance the books in year four. I could be wrong though.
No - you are wrong sir.
They might have breached PL for 22/23 - we should find out next week. And they def look like failing for 23/24.
Swiss Ramble has a detailed article about it on his sub stack and Stefan was explaining it all on a 93.20 pod yesterday and also he’s done lots of workings on his Twitter account.

No - you are wrong sir.
They might have breached PL for 22/23 - we should find out next week. And they def look like failing for 23/24.
Swiss Ramble has a detailed article about it on his sub stack and Stefan was explaining it all on a 93.20 pod yesterday and also he’s done lots of workings on his Twitter account.
So to be clear, new owners don't essentially get three years grace from FFP?

I recall report on the Chavs looking to sell Connor Gallagher with a view to FFP compliance, but it was mentioned this was looking forward to when their grace period ended, purely because of the unprecedented amounts they'd spent already.

As far as I'm aware, all inward revenue counts towards FFP, & Sheikh Mansour can spend what he likes on everything at City, apart from anything directly related to the first team squad, which tells you all you need to know about FFP.

This is what they did so City couldn't challenge the elite on the pitch. Take Newcastle for instance. They need to bolster their squad but can't because they're apparently nearly up to their FFP limit.

There's even talk of them having to sell one from Guimarães, Isak or Botman, so they can use the funds to bolster their squad.

However, if PIF wanted to spend £2bn rebuilding St James' Park, that's perfectly fine. But if they spent a few million more on their first team squad, they're in danger of falling foul of FFP.

This is why FFP's so unfair. How're Newcastle supposed to compete with the elite clubs, when they have to sell their best players to the elite clubs, so they can invest in other areas of their squad?

This was one of the points City made when UEFA were telling us to take our time & build our squad organically.

Because FFP limits an ambitious club from making the necessary first team squad investment to challenge the elite clubs, they're in danger of the elite clubs picking off their best players, which will keep the chasing clubs right where they are as FFP intended.

Clubs like Newcastle will essentially become a feeder club for the big boys. This is the unfair logical conclusion of FFP.
The cartel clubs are getting stuck between a rock and a hard stone.
Some form of restriction will have to stay in place or the likes of Newcastle will be able to march on.
At the moment increasing revenue streams by being creative off the pitch appears to be the only way forward, whilst trying to maintain progress on the pitch, top management across the board is crutial.
Dare I say a little bit of creative accounting would help but maybe the PL have by now tightened up their rules.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.