PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

Let’s just say hypothetically that Mansour & Khaldoon wanted to disguise owner investment for a min. You would think that to carry out such a criminal act, both men would keep it in house. By that I mean, not erm tell anyone. Including Soriano, Pearce etc. Instead, apparently everyone knew and not 1 of those people has come forward to expose the crime of the century.

It’s just bugs me as to why the top man would share his criminal plan to anyone?

There is definitely that point that these people would have to be particularly stupid to be discussing financial fraud on emails. Then there is the point that they would have to be even more stupid to leave proof of it lying around the company here in the UK. Assuming these people aren't stupid (and they arent) then, ipso facto, the PL won't have access to any evidence of the alleged fraud, even if it was carried out, which is amazingly unlikely. And on top of all that, the premise that Etihad and Etisalat would only sign fair value sponsorship agreements if a private individual contributed what, to them, constitutes peanuts, in two regulated industries, is just so amazingly ridiculous as to be unbelievable. I can't believe for a minute the PL think they have a chance of success.

The problem with speculation about potential punishment is that there is nothing in the PL Handbook about the scale or severity of sanctions. UEFA published a clear tariff of penalties for failing FFP, dependent on the seriousness of the breach and whether it was a first or repeat offenc, so we can safely talk about the scale of any punishment in that situation. Everton may try to use that as part of their appeal.

But the PL doesn't, so in my opinion it's unhelpful to speculate, using words like 'relegation'. And, being pedantic, the PL can't relegate us, as they don't control the lower leagues. As with Bury and the EFL, they could potentially expel us and we'd have to apply to the EFL.

I know it's easy to be wise when you're not the one in front of the camera or microphone but I think my answer to the "What will happen if they're found guilty" question would have been something like "We just don't know. It will totally depend on whether we're found to have breached any of the specified rules in any of the specified years. There are no indicators as to potential sanctions in the PL's rules but, at the very, very worst, there's the possibility we could be expelled from the PL. But that would involve quite an egregious breach of those rules and I don't see that scenario as a likely outcome. Even in (in my view) the unlikely event that we are found to have committed a minor breach, the punishment should be proportionate".
Surely, after the Everton sanction, we can assume that if found guilty of serious breaches, it would result in a points deduction. And if Everton received a 10 points deduction, ours might exceed that.

Let's say the deduction would be 100 points. That would put us at the bottom of the PL for that particular season. The consequence of that would be relegation to the Championship.

If the points deduction was say 250 points, that would still put us at the bottom of the PL, and would relegate us down one tier. It's ludicrous to put all the leagues into one and place us between two teams that are in theory either side of 250 points below us. That just isn't a thing in sport. (That's not related to the quoted post. It's merely my take on suggestions we might end up playing derbies against FC United, or Maine Road FC.)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.