PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

Gordon Brown has a particular dislike of gambling, & the effects it has on those least able to afford it.

The proposals were made under Blair who was all for it. It's just our misfortune Brown succeeded him when the final decision was being made.
He was also responsible for the theft from private pension funds listed on the UK stock exchange.
Quite happy to skim off the rewards of investment to assist his financial balancing act but seemingly anti gambling.

I didn't know that.

As said they are in the job for votes so react accordingly.

Sad to say the media has done a good job in demonizing even the regeneration of East Manchester.
The regeneration and investment in East Manchester is demonised or never even mentioned by the media is because the main investors own Manchester City. You only have to look at the many negative articles in the local news to see that the success of City hurts and this continues almost 16 years since the takeover. Even the town hall staff were complicit early in the takeover. I seem to remember they put two inflatable Santa's either side of the town hall clock one represented City and the other united. Town hall staff asked the public to phone in and vote for us or them, as the votes were counted air was put into the inflatables, whoever got more votes got more air blown into their Santa. We had not long been taken over and united had many more fans at that time, as the staff would know this. I saw it as a deliberate attempt to belittle their own cities team, the only premier league team in Manchester, in full view of the world. I would never have had another cup celebration at the Town hall and glad we now dont. I hope my memories of this are correct as a lot of flavoured water has passed through my system in the last 16 successful years.
The days just get better;-)

He was also responsible for the theft from private pension funds listed on the UK stock exchange.
Quite happy to skim off the rewards of investment to assist his financial balancing act but seemingly anti gambling.
How do you work the theft out?

Reactions: nmc
I can understand why they don't back him more.
I'm thinking of the NW Tonight piece on the topping out of the new arena as an example. Nearing completion of Europes largest, state of the art indoor arena, Burnham is interviewed and is naturally buoyant about the project. So what does Annabel Tiffin ask.. 'this is all well and good, but how do you feel about accepting investment from a country with such an appalling human rights record?'. (The way she emphasized 'appalling', I thought she was going to throw-up)
Anything positive MCC say about any investments will be totally twisted into a 'whatabout...?' and it's just not worth their while to stick their head above the parapet.
Frankly, if some people dont appreciate what UAE (and Chinese, for that matter) investment has done for the residents of Manchester, they should piss off to one of the many bankrupt shithole cities that will charge them a fortune in CT to not empty their bins.
There is an underlying narrative in the media which can't be shifted. It is essentially a colonial/racist atttitude that somehow money from the Gulf region can't be trusted. The UAE is not even in the top 100 places for human rights abuses and a long way behind Russia, most of Africa and South America, and of course the USA. It is one of our best allies in a very unstable part of the world and one of our biggest trading partners. Without overseas investment Manchester would be like Middlesbrough because we have had precious little investment from successive London goverments of all politcal persuasions. No amount of sneering from posh people at the BBC will change that reality.

Last edited:
How do you work the theft out?
I agree it is probably not illegal for the C of E to take money from a source that owes it's rewards to the stock exchange rise and attracted investers because of this future reward.

Perhaps I should have said he decided a one off tax to overnight claim a reward for the loss of taxation at investment stage.

He certainly took money off me overnight without it being included in the investment rules at time of paying in.
What do you call that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.