PL clubs unanimously agree to introduction of Semi-Automated Offside Technology

How will it solve the issue of when the ball leaves the players foot? The line isn’t the only issue with offside

How will it solve the issue of when the ball leaves the players foot? The line isn’t the only issue with offside

It isn't clear from the BBC article whether it's the FIFA system (which uses a calibrated inertia sensor in the ball) or the UEFA system (which uses video imagery to detect ball movement).

Either way, frankly, I am not a fan. The thought of disallowing goals for a toe 1mm offside with perfect accuracy (which they will never achieve anyway) doesn't do much for me.

And don't be fooled by the pretty graphics either. They are just created from the underlying data. Not sure, firstly, how they are collecting the data and, secondly, what they are doing to it to make the offside decision and the subsequent graphic accurate.

Without a complete understanding we are in the same position we are now. Relying on other people getting it (in this case, the software) right.

Grumble. Grumble.

It isn't clear from the BBC article whether it's the FIFA system (which uses a calibrated inertia sensor in the ball) or the UEFA system (which uses video imagery to detect ball movement).

Either way, frankly, I am not a fan. The thought of disallowing goals for a toe 1mm offside with perfect accuracy (which they will never achieve anyway) doesn't do much for me.

And don't be fooled by the pretty graphics either. They are just created from the underlying data. Not sure, firstly, how they are collecting the data and, secondly, what they are doing to it to make the offside decision and the subsequent graphic accurate.

Without a complete understanding we are in the same position we are now. Relying on other people getting it (in this case, the software) right.

Grumble. Grumble.
Article I read said it was the idea not FIFA version for what it's worth. As for if it will help. Say for the minimum it makes the calls quicker and therefore less injuries after a delayed offside flag... Quicker is at least something?

Article I read said it was the idea not FIFA version for what it's worth. As for if it will help. Say for the minimum it makes the calls quicker and therefore less injuries after a delayed offside flag... Quicker is at least something?

Not at the expense of completely destroying the art of playing yourself onside, or playing someone else offside for me. It doesn't reflect the way the game is actually played.

100% accuracy (in theory but never in practice) for solving problems that noone can humanly judge by sight is a waste of money for me.

I for one am glad it's being introduced. I think most of us have doubts about manipulation of the lines on the current system. However, since the introduction of the automated goal line technology I can't recall any great errors in that area including the famous John Stones clearance against the dippers in 2019!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.