PL clubs unanimously agree to introduction of Semi-Automated Offside Technology

Not at the expense of completely destroying the art of playing yourself onside, or playing someone else offside for me. It doesn't reflect the way the game is actually played.

100% accuracy (in theory but never in practice) for solving problems that noone can humanly judge by sight is a waste of money for me.
I agree with this. The actual intent and spirit of the law (that players cannot gain an advantage by being offside) has been cast aside in favor of the illusion of perfect objectivity. No one gains a tangible advantage by their afro being 1mm ahead of a defender's knee. It just is not what the rule was created for

I agree with this. The actual intent and spirit of the law (that players cannot gain an advantage by being offside) has been cast aside in favor of the illusion of perfect objectivity. No one gains a tangible advantage by their afro being 1mm ahead of a defender's knee. It just is not what the rule was created for

No disagreement from me. Or from IFAB, strangely enough, who have been consistent in calling only to correct offside decisions that are clearly and obviously wrong. Much more sensible.

It's those idiots at FIFA, Wenger and Collina, who have convinced themselves offside is a strictly factual decision and should be judged exactly. Tossers :)

It isn't clear from the BBC article whether it's the FIFA system (which uses a calibrated inertia sensor in the ball) or the UEFA system (which uses video imagery to detect ball movement).

Either way, frankly, I am not a fan. The thought of disallowing goals for a toe 1mm offside with perfect accuracy (which they will never achieve anyway) doesn't do much for me.

And don't be fooled by the pretty graphics either. They are just created from the underlying data. Not sure, firstly, how they are collecting the data and, secondly, what they are doing to it to make the offside decision and the subsequent graphic accurate.

Without a complete understanding we are in the same position we are now. Relying on other people getting it (in this case, the software) right.

Grumble. Grumble.
A much earlier thread looked at the fps of camaras etc and which exact frames matched the kicking action. This selection could influence whether an offside is given or not.
Presumably if the chip is the deciding start of the balls flight it will ignore or allow for ball compression before flight?
On tight decisions I can see leaving this to var choice will be wrong.

A much earlier thread looked at the fps of camaras etc and which exact frames matched the kicking action. This selection could influence whether an offside is given or not.
Presumably if the chip is the deciding start of the balls flight it will ignore or allow for ball compression before flight?
On tight decisions I can see leaving this to var choice will be wrong.

The calibrated cameras are still 50 fps apparently, for both player and ball movement, although it is claimed the software can interpolate between frames to determine exactly when the ball changed direction. I would like to see how that works :)

Basically, imho, they are speeding the decision making up which is good, of course, but they are going back to 1mm offsides which is bad and covering the problems (frame speed, data collection ....) up with a sexy graphic which, really, is irrelevant.

Anyway, enough from me. :)

While you're not wrong, would 2mm make a difference? How about 3mm?
There has to be a line.

Only this!! There should be no reason at all for it not being fully automated with today's technology, its a line FFS, but like you say they will easily find a way to make a balls of it, because that's what they are good at

There’s a very good reason it can’t be fully automated.

A computer can’t tell whether a player in an offside position is committing an offside offence.

It isn't clear from the BBC article whether it's the FIFA system (which uses a calibrated inertia sensor in the ball) or the UEFA system (which uses video imagery to detect ball movement).

According to the Mail It’s the FIFA system, but that’s just the UEFA system + sensor. The UEFA system is the cameras live mapping everyone’s position (and the ball) and the fifa/adidas way is that +sensor to detect when the ball is kicked.

Only semi auto means they can still influence things and pigmol will do just that , are the rags and dippers getting screens then or not ?

The name is a bit of a misnomer - it’s a fully automatic system with human oversight.

All the line drawing etc is automatic, the VAR just does things like interfering with play or blocking the keepers sight. A big standard offside is essentially automatic.

Theres a million easier ways to cheat.

It doesn’t really matter as long as it’s consistent, the sensor tracks inertia, and there’s never going to be a better measure of when a ball is hit then when its core moves. 500hz so 10 readings for every frame of camera footage.

The old rule was better, viz:
Goal for red….onside
Goal against red…..offside.
All other colours …..guess, taking note of the fat bloke in the front row screaming “Wanker linesman”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.