Plan to suspend the Metrolink line to the stadium?

There’s both a rail and Metrolink line from the Airport to Town.

The railway from the Airport goes to Piccadilly.
The Met from the Airport goes to Victoria.

You have to change Mets to get to the Etihad and no trains run out to the Etihad.

As you can see here though, the Airport Metrolink line slaloms and snakes through the South of the city, side-to-side, which makes it a very lengthy journey for the A-Z journey you’re actually doing:

View attachment 35386

But all the other Met lines are really bloody slow once you hit Town anyway, because you hit roads and pedestrian areas. It’s waking pace through some areas of Town on the Met, it’s ridiculously slow! (The City Centre should have been underground, but that’s another matter altogether!)

So, opt for the train to Piccadilly and jump in a black cab to the Etihad if you’re coming from the Airport.
Thanks for the info probably best getting a black cab to the stadium ( when I win the lottery).

Shaelumstash. Fair response and correct. But like other posters I wonder about the effect when overall journey times and personal costs are taken into account.

Currently I can get to a mainline station in 10 minutes. And park for about £4.00 for the day. The mainline stations that currently run the London service depend on the high value business traveller to subsidise us oiks in second class and who travel out of peak.

these high value business travellers will disappear onto the new service on HS2 as their companies / business pay their travel. current mainline London busy stations like Wilmslow and Macclesfield have already bleated that they will lose their passengers and their regular London trains.

Travellers to London wanting HS2 will have to travel to the main hub stations. For me as a working example this would add a conservative hour to my travel time to London.

Goodness knows what the cost of a HS2 London ticket will be. God knows how freight will be taken off roads and the existing lines utilised.

I know that something has to be done around capacity but don’t believe this vanity project is the answer.

it smacks to me of a train version of Concord. When that flew the elite could get to New York much faster than the average Joe. Only a wealthy select few could afford to take advantage of the service.

Unlike Concorde, we taxpayers will be funding HS2.
I totally agree mate, I don’t think it’s the best use of the public money at all.

Realistically, the main beneficiaries will be people with apartments near Piccadilly station, and perhaps people in places like Levenshulme who can jump on a train and be at Piccadilly in 10 minutes.

Loads of the people that would use the service on expenses would normally be getting on at Stockport or Wilmslow or Macclesfield, there would be little material benefit to them if they had to go to Piccadilly to get HS2.

The fact their building a high speed train to London when that route is already well developed is ridiculous when you take into account the Manchester to Leeds line isn’t even electrified. It’s 2022 for god’s sake.

Also the local transport network around Manchester is a disgrace. The lack of government funding in comparison to TfL is just absurd.

It’s great that HS2 will create loads of construction jobs and great that Manchester isn’t being left out. But if it was really about efficiency, I’d suggest a far better use of public money would be to figure out a way to provide reliable superfast broadband on the existing West Coast mainline.

There’s both a rail and Metrolink line from the Airport to Town.

The railway from the Airport goes to Piccadilly.
The Met from the Airport goes to Victoria.

You have to change Mets to get to the Etihad and no trains run out to the Etihad.

As you can see here though, the Airport Metrolink line slaloms and snakes through the South of the city, side-to-side, which makes it a very lengthy journey for the A-Z journey you’re actually doing:

View attachment 35386

But all the other Met lines are really bloody slow once you hit Town anyway, because you hit roads and pedestrian areas. It’s waking pace through some areas of Town on the Met, it’s ridiculously slow! (The City Centre should have been underground, but that’s another matter altogether!)

So, opt for the train to Piccadilly and jump in a black cab to the Etihad if you’re coming from the Airport.
The Metrolink to Ringway was never intended to serve those travelling to or from the City Centre. The mainline train takes a quarter of the time and has better provision for luggage. The Metrolink was extended to Ringway more for the benefit of those who live in South Manchester and work at the Airport.

They need to build a new metrolink station at Piccadilly. The new HS2 lines and platforms will be parallel and near to the current platform 1, the met stop will be underneath it.

Not for a few years yet.

then why not just move the metrolink stop at Piccadilly or reroute the line down store street

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.