Platini Warns City

Its maybe been mentioned already but there must be ways round it like say the owners buy 1 million club shirts from the club shop there's 40 million income and all you would need is a receipt from the club shop in the books!!!

Maybe it's a lot harder to get round but im sure clubs will find away the worst part of it all is it stops people buying clubs and looks like we were lucky to be bought when we were.

FFP will save the Sheikh a bundle, as he will not have to spend as much in future in order to compete.

However, if someone came in and paid off the Rags' huge debt, then they would be so far ahead of everyone else, forever, that it would be scary. It's lucky for competitive football that they are handicapped.

And that is the real problem with FFP. It sets things in stone. It's the most crazy, ludicrous idea ever conceived in a madhouse by an extremely mad inmate stoned on acid. The people behind it do not want a 'level playing field'. In fact, that's the very last thing they want. They want the wealthy to stay wealthy and the rest to make up the numbers. City jumped on the last train just as it left the station, banging the door behind us. Everton, Aston Villa, Spurs, and a whole lot more have been left on the platform, and the track is being lifted.

He happens to be head of a important footballing organisation, where one of his former clubs happens to be Juventus. Talk about having a slight interest in finance and power.

strongbowholic said:
No,depressingly, it's a business. Football is merely the product. This notion of the Corinthian spirit is as dead as the dinosaurs.

They may well have salary caps, by agreement in the US, however, as I point out, the second you restrict an employees earnings in Europe, you leave yourself open to challenge in the courts based on EU legislation, hence there is no way a salary cap will be reintroduced (it was abolished following a challenge many, many years ago).

How do you go about justifying to Wayne Rooney who puts bums on seats at the swamp, who is a source of vast commercial revenue to the rags, that he is going to earn minimum wage from now on despite being the main reason out of the 11 that people turn up, buy the shirts, mugs, videos, dvds ad nauseum? They don't come to see the swamp. They don't come to see the Glazers. That's why there will not be a salary cap.

It's a business. It's cold, hard, cash.

The second the rags floated as a PLC, that was it, game over. They were up for sale at any point, 24x7 to the highest bidder. Add in Sky, inflated ticket prices, the Champions League and the pigs guzzled greedily at a trough overflowing with money.

The beautiful game ceased being a sport and became a business.

They were partly responsible for creating this monster. They opened Pandora's box and it is a tad rich (excuse the pun) for anyone to be bleating about not being able to get the lid back on.

We ALL sat idly by and let this happen. Tough shit; as you sow, so shall you reap.

I would love to see a league where Wigan could realistically be in with a chance of being champions. I would love to see it so competitive that anything and anyone could win. As it stands now, even a big club like Spurs, Newcastle or even Liverpool will realistically struggle to win it again without huge investment.

They changed it to make it harder for the have nots to compete and to keep it all for themselves. They tried to ring fence the money and the trophies. Is that sport? Is that fair? Is that competitive? Of course it isn't.

I agree on most points there - but it's taken one of the richest men in the world to put us in this position. Aston Villa's owner was a billionaire when he bought them and he couldn't even get them into the top four. The gap to the biggest clubs you'd need to be a multi-billionaire to even have a chance of catching them.

FFP isn't going to stop a rush of billionaires taking over football because there aren't that many mega-rich football fans out there. It's intended to try and bring a bit of sanity back into those teams chasing glory - and it's true benefit will be felt further down the league.

I don't think we'll have any problem with meeting FFP, simply because of the extended reach and influence of our owners in Abu Dhabi - and the genuine way we've helped raise the profile of many of them.

As for salary caps - I agree that it's probably pie in the sky. The stable door is open and the horse has bolted, but that's no reason to give up. Some European sports do have caps, and EU law is unlikely to be a problem. The wage caps that were abolished years ago were tiny - with clubs essentially exploiting players but keeping the money to themselves. In the US the caps in the popular sports are huge, and based on the income generated, so the mega stars can still get paid mega-salaries. While no team in the NFL will have a salary close to that of City or United, the average across all the clubs is likely higher than across the premiership, so players won't lose out. It's not about reducing salaries, but making sure a handful of teams don't dominate.

MCFCinUSA said:
seems like most of the people commenting in this thread have more understanding and sense than Platini... how the heck did he get this job and how the hell is he keeping it???
the old saying "it's not what you know but who you know" has never been more appropriate

bluenova said:
strongbowholic said:
No,depressingly, it's a business. Football is merely the product. This notion of the Corinthian spirit is as dead as the dinosaurs.

They may well have salary caps, by agreement in the US, however, as I point out, the second you restrict an employees earnings in Europe, you leave yourself open to challenge in the courts based on EU legislation, hence there is no way a salary cap will be reintroduced (it was abolished following a challenge many, many years ago).

How do you go about justifying to Wayne Rooney who puts bums on seats at the swamp, who is a source of vast commercial revenue to the rags, that he is going to earn minimum wage from now on despite being the main reason out of the 11 that people turn up, buy the shirts, mugs, videos, dvds ad nauseum? They don't come to see the swamp. They don't come to see the Glazers. That's why there will not be a salary cap.

The second the rags floated as a PLC, that was it, game over. They were up for sale at any point, 24x7 to the highest bidder. Add in Sky, inflated ticket prices, the Champions League and the pigs guzzled greedily at a trough overflowing with money.

They were partly responsible for creating this monster. They opened Pandora's box and it is a tad rich (excuse the pun) for anyone to be bleating about not being able to get the lid back on.

We ALL sat idly by and let this happen. Tough shit; as you sow, so shall you reap.

I would love to see a league where Wigan could realistically be in with a chance of being champions. I would love to see it so competitive that anything and anyone could win. As it stands now, even a big club like Spurs, Newcastle or even Liverpool will realistically struggle to win it again without huge investment.

They changed it to make it harder for the have nots to compete and to keep it all for themselves. They tried to ring fence the money and the trophies. Is that sport? Is that fair? Is that competitive? Of course it isn't.

I agree on most points there - but it's taken one of the richest men in the world to put us in this position. Aston Villa's owner was a billionaire when he bought them and he couldn't even get them into the top four. The gap to the biggest clubs you'd need to be a multi-billionaire to even have a chance of catching them.

FFP isn't going to stop a rush of billionaires taking over football because there aren't that many mega-rich football fans out there. It's intended to try and bring a bit of sanity back into those teams chasing glory - and it's true benefit will be felt further down the league.

I don't think we'll have any problem with meeting FFP, simply because of the extended reach and influence of our owners in Abu Dhabi - and the genuine way we've helped raise the profile of many of them.

As for salary caps - I agree that it's probably pie in the sky. The stable door is open and the horse has bolted, but that's no reason to give up. Some European sports do have caps, and EU law is unlikely to be a problem. The wage caps that were abolished years ago were tiny - with clubs essentially exploiting players but keeping the money to themselves. In the US the caps in the popular sports are huge, and based on the income generated, so the mega stars can still get paid mega-salaries. While no team in the NFL will have a salary close to that of City or United, the average across all the clubs is likely higher than across the premiership, so players won't lose out. It's not about reducing salaries, but making sure a handful of teams don't dominate.

If FFP is truly about stopping clubs saddling themselves with debt whilst chasing the dream, then why isn't money freely invested by a rich benefactor allowed to be classed as income, until that club reaches the stage where it's become self financing?

hgblue said:
bluenova said:
strongbowholic said:

If FFP is truly about stopping clubs saddling themselves with debt whilst chasing the dream, then why isn't money freely invested by a rich benefactor allowed to be classed as income, until that club reaches the stage where it's become self financing?
And that's the money question (so to speak)

It's about the G-14, it's not about stopping clubs going broke, it's about them staying at the top

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.