Player thread: Edin Dzeko (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easily his worst season to date, 4 goals in the league, 6 overall in 25 starts.

I've never been convinced of him suiting the way we play but you could never doubt the fact that'd he always get us goals, maybe inconsistently but he would still get them.

He's purely a box man, doesn't offer much at all in our build up play just slows us down, he doesn't win enough in the air or seem to put effort in when defending. If he does all his work in the box he's a good player.

I'd sell him this summer, he's been with us for 5 seasons but I think we need to move on.

FantasyIreland said:
I'm not a fan of Edin,he simply doesn't work hard enough.In his defence,he is far better as a lone striker,however,so is Kun and probably Bony too.

The manager is doing none of them a favour.
Completely agree with this and I've alluded to it myself before now. We have three very good strikers (don't laugh), if they're played on their own, but any combination of two of them seems to produce poorer performances from both (in general). I don't dislike the idea of 4-4-2, but we really don't have two complimentary strikers to play it at the moment - instead we end up playing a striker as a winger. Square pegs and all that.

CaliforniaBlue said:
FantasyIreland said:
I'm not a fan of Edin,he simply doesn't work hard enough.In his defence,he is far better as a lone striker,however,so is Kun and probably Bony too.

Completely agree with this and I've alluded to it myself before now. We have three very good strikers (don't laugh), if they're played on their own, but any combination of two of them seems to produce poorer performances from both (in general). I don't dislike the idea of 4-4-2, but we really don't have two complimentary strikers to play it at the moment - instead we end up playing a striker as a winger. Square pegs and all that.

The only really successful partnership was Kun and the Beast last season before the injuries

Selling Negredo with only this guy and an injury prone Jovetic is something I struggle to get my head round. His goals over the course of a season don't excuse his deficiencies. Never have I seen a player fail to utilise a height advantage as much as him, and his first touch isn't nearly good enough. He's not the only one that's underperformed but he's one that Id like to be shown the door this summer. The fact his own people have to fight so hard on here to prove his worth should probably tell you all you need to know. Thanks for some important goals along the way Edin.

CaliforniaBlue said:
FantasyIreland said:

Very good points.

All the more reason why I think our best formation, with the players that we have available and their skill sets, is to play 4-2-3-1. I think Edin definitely plays better as the lone striker. We saw that at the end of last season when he played a crucial role in our winning run. I think the same applies to Bony. I would bet anything he would be a revelation if we gave him a game up front by himself, with Silva playing the number 10 role.

jollylescott said:
CaliforniaBlue said:
FantasyIreland said:

Very good points.

All the more reason why I think our best formation, with the players that we have available and their skill sets, is to play 4-2-3-1. I think Edin definitely plays better as the lone striker. We saw that at the end of last season when he played a crucial role in our winning run. I think the same applies to Bony. I would bet anything he would be a revelation if we gave him a game up front by himself, with Silva playing the number 10 role.

442 has never been the problem,it's fantastically entertaining when it works........however,we simply don't have the players that compliment that system,we look unbalanced,fragile and transparent....... we're pissing in the wind.......so why the boss continues to be loyal to such a formation is a real head scratcher?

FantasyIreland said:
jollylescott said:
CaliforniaBlue said:
Very good points.

442 has never been the problem,it's fantastically entertaining when it works........however,we simply don't have the players that compliment that system,we look unbalanced,fragile and transparent....... we're pissing in the wind.......so why the boss continues to be loyal to such a formation is a real head scratcher?

Wev'e well and truly proven 442 does work with the players we have, against teams that want to take us on, and that for me is the point. Now teams realise they cannot outplay us, they clam up and hit us on the break.

Happy birthday to the big guy. I know he polarises opinion somewhat on here, and he is a very frustrating player to watch. But let's be nice to him on his 29th. On Paddy's day to boot as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.