Player thread: Edin Dzeko (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
EaglesFan said:
I'll also add something that will give me some bad rep here.... not too much I hope :-)

Watching England-Italy with friends the other day....general consensus was that you guys (England) have put WAAAAAY too much importance to work rate and physical game...to the point where it is being detrimental to your football (national team, but also English players in general)...
Your NT is loaded with supreme athletes who are not that great at football. You have no highly skilled players. When you have a Silva, Pirlo, Ozil, Hazard, etc (or more than one of them) in your NT - you will get back to the top where you belong....unfortunately, attitudes of some people even on here tell me it is not happening in a long while....

Work rate is great, but it doesn't make you a better or worse footballer than the other guy.

P.S: This is why guys like Edin sometimes get shit in BPL...cause they don't run around endlessly...which is completely unjustifiable by non-British fans.

Edin gets shite sometimes fella as when he's off form or can't be arsed he has a touch worse than emile heskey in his prime, has the movement of a lamp post and misses open goals for fun!

FantasyIreland said:
Skybluezoo said:
FantasyIreland said:
Wow.....he's a different character when playing for his country.Got to admire the passion here......why don't we see more of that?
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/football/video-1171822/Edin-Dzeko-loses-cool-opponent-international-friendly.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/footba ... paign=1490</a>

Difference is the fans get behind him

You aren't a City supporter coming out with shite like that.

Any player who gives his best,consistently.....couldn't wish for a better set of fans behind him than ours,such a player is idolised.Try and take us for mugs however.......

It seems the pair of you have much to learn.
Biggest load of shit ever, I sit in my seat every game listening to people blame Edin for everything that goes wrong on the pitch! Yes sometimes it may be his fault but a lot of the time it just isn't he is one of the easy targets for city fans and for Bosnia he is there Aguero.

EaglesFan said:
Damocles said:
Skybluezoo said:
Difference is the fans get behind him

Yes. It's the fault of City fans that he's seemingly underachieved here, not the fault of the professional footballer. We didn't shout enough for him to kick a ball.

As one of his biggest fans - I'll say the previous statement (about fans) is utter crap and completely inaccurate - Edin always had great support from Blues.

On the other hand - do you think he really 'underachieved' at City? I totally disagree on that one. He was a big part of some of the greatest times of this club it seems, and will always be remembered here, for sure...scored shitloads of goals (important ones) - what else can a striker want?
This is why I think he wouldn't mind staying.

P.S. People are reading way too much into Dragovich stuff - Dragovich lost about every single air duel to Edin, then started getting way too physical (in an illegal manner), gave Edin few kicks etc. - so when he attacked Besic verbally he simply went over the top...Edin being captain of NT stepped in, as he should have. Dragovich calmed down for the rest of the game. End of story. Just part of the football game

No I don't. Underachieved was a really bad phrasing of my opinion.

I mean that he has underachieved in terms of being a world class striker that will score for fun that he has been out to be by some. Personally I think he has a place in the squad and is a great player to have in that place. My issue is more with that some of his other big fans cannot seemingly accept that and think that he's not in front of Aguero because City are mistreating him or not playing him enough which I think is a poor rationalisation.

Overall his City career is littered with memorable moments and once he leaves he will be one of our most revered players as the granularity fades away. I will certainly be remembering him fondly despite my often annoyance at him - as said on a previous occasion, my annoyance lies more with his nationalist fans than they do him as a player.

I for one hope that Edin stays. he will never be as prolific as Aguero, but when he plays, if we play to his strengths he will score goals. I think if we add some genuine pace from someone like Bale or Sterling whoever plays in the sriking role will have a field day.

col1n said:
I for one hope that Edin stays. he will never be as prolific as Aguero, but when he plays, if we play to his strengths he will score goals. I think if we add some genuine pace from someone like Bale or Sterling whoever plays in the sriking role will have a field day.

Or like Navas maybe?

Not sure that has much merit to it.

Damocles said:
col1n said:

Or like Navas maybe?

Understand completely where your coming from. Unlike many people on here i dont think that the squad needs major surgery, i dont see the point in selling dzeko, who on the face of it seems happy with his position in the squad. A couple of quality additions such as Bale or Sterling plus a top notch cm will i think make a world of difference, plus will hopefully give the manager room for a plan B

col1n said:
Damocles said:
col1n said:

Or like Navas maybe?

Understand completely where your coming from. Unlike many people on here i dont think that the squad needs major surgery, i dont see the point in selling dzeko, who on the face of it seems happy with his position in the squad. A couple of quality additions such as Bale or Sterling plus a top notch cm will i think make a world of difference, plus will hopefully give the manager room for a plan B

One reason for replacing Dzeko would be to get a younger striker in the squad. Aside from this agree with what you said.

Damocles said:
EaglesFan said:
Damocles said:
Yes. It's the fault of City fans that he's seemingly underachieved here, not the fault of the professional footballer. We didn't shout enough for him to kick a ball.

As one of his biggest fans - I'll say the previous statement (about fans) is utter crap and completely inaccurate - Edin always had great support from Blues.

On the other hand - do you think he really 'underachieved' at City? I totally disagree on that one. He was a big part of some of the greatest times of this club it seems, and will always be remembered here, for sure...scored shitloads of goals (important ones) - what else can a striker want?
This is why I think he wouldn't mind staying.

P.S. People are reading way too much into Dragovich stuff - Dragovich lost about every single air duel to Edin, then started getting way too physical (in an illegal manner), gave Edin few kicks etc. - so when he attacked Besic verbally he simply went over the top...Edin being captain of NT stepped in, as he should have. Dragovich calmed down for the rest of the game. End of story. Just part of the football game

No I don't. Underachieved was a really bad phrasing of my opinion.

I mean that he has underachieved in terms of being a world class striker that will score for fun that he has been out to be by some. Personally I think he has a place in the squad and is a great player to have in that place. My issue is more with that some of his other big fans cannot seemingly accept that and think that he's not in front of Aguero because City are mistreating him or not playing him enough which I think is a poor rationalisation.

Overall his City career is littered with memorable moments and once he leaves he will be one of our most revered players as the granularity fades away. I will certainly be remembering him fondly despite my often annoyance at him - as said on a previous occasion, my annoyance lies more with his nationalist fans than they do him as a player.

Fair game on your side, no complaints.

I am a big fan of Edin, but never of the "he is a God" type...I know his shortcomings really well, and will be first one to criticize when he misses something that he usually puts away....cause that's what HE DOES (and is supposed to do).

What gets to me (see my original rant) is when he is evaluated by and criticized for stuff that is NOT his game, nor what he is built up for...you cannot expect (like many here) a lanky dude like himself to run 40 mph in a football game, it's just ridiculous. Kind of like if we slagged Kun for not winning many air duels/headers and bulldozing some oponents...

Lacking couple of aspects of overall game (you can find such shortcomings in any player, basically) does not make him a bad player, is my point.

He is one of City legends, and will be missed when he goes....he IS getting older though, and this is something to have in mind.

Eagles fan he is indeed a City legend. Sergio is a better all round player, however what Edin did in 2012 and 2014 he will be remembered forever. Statistically he sits alongside Brook, Doherty, Tilson, Bell, Lee, Young and Aguero. A true City great is Edin.

If his heading technique was much better, say Gareh Taylor standard he could have seen a lot more starts, he shows a lack of bravery too in the air. Calling him a legend shows a lack of respect to SWP, Bert, Yaya and Serg.

If you think tall people can't be fast watch a 100 metres race, but that is beside the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.