Player thread: Fernando (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Northern Baptist said:
I'm going to backtrack slightly on my comments last night - calling him a 'fucking fraud' was probably a step too far.

i'll maintain he's not good enough to form the nucleus of a team to go on and win the champions league, he has a place in our squad to fulfil when we play these mid to bottom table cloggers like yday.

FFS. Give the lad some time to settle in and gain some confidence. Name me all our players who have landed running.

Reading your earlier posts from yesterday, you were posting like a right knob.

We are desperate for these players to do well but I personally thought he was steady yesterday and had little work to do in protecting the back 4, as WBA decided to sit on the edge of the 18 yard box.

In the right system I think he could do well, sadly with our style of play, especially considering he plays in a midfield two, his technical frailties are always going to be exposed.

I really thought when we signed him we would deploy a midfield 3 of Fernandinho, Fernando and Yaya, with Fernando sitting in front of the back four. Can't even think of one time this season we've seen this setup which surely would benefit us more than a midfield two containing Fernando and either Yaya or Fernandinho.

cleavers said:
Thats the problem - is that all you expect of him?
No, but its not all he did today either, anyway someone has posted better stats about his passing above. You must have been incredibly bored to watch a football match and count one single players passes, I'd raise your game ;o) Those who watched Gareth Barry, or even Kevin Horlock will know, you pass simple, unless you have the range of passing of someone like Silva.

Decent game today for the lad, maybe playing alongside Lampard was a big bonus, certainly not having Yaya/Nasri at his side helped.

Horlock and barry had a much better range of passing that Fernando for starters.
The lad will never be good enough for where we want to be, regardless of whether he can complete 98/100 passes successfully.

If fact, i'll go one further . He is a fucking fraud and should be nowhere near a top 4 side in the prem
Embarrassing !

Thenumber1blue said:
cleavers said:
No, but its not all he did today either, anyway someone has posted better stats about his passing above. You must have been incredibly bored to watch a football match and count one single players passes, I'd raise your game ;o) Those who watched Gareth Barry, or even Kevin Horlock will know, you pass simple, unless you have the range of passing of someone like Silva.

Decent game today for the lad, maybe playing alongside Lampard was a big bonus, certainly not having Yaya/Nasri at his side helped.

Horlock and barry had a much better range of passing that Fernando for starters.
The lad will never be good enough for where we want to be, regardless of whether he can complete 98/100 passes successfully.

If fact, i'll go one further . He is a fucking fraud and should be nowhere near a top 4 side in the prem
Embarrassing !

i think he knows that.

Thenumber1blue said:
cleavers said:

Embarrassing !

A fit Kevin Horlock could do what Fernando can do.

Thenumber1blue said:

Embarrassing !

A fit Kevin Horlock could do what Fernando can do.

Isn't that hole deep enough?

No.......keep digging!

Best game in a City shirt, excluding Newcastle but the back to basics high pressing style suits him. West Broms lack of counter attacking because they only had 10 men probably contributed but he was good yesterday. I don't think he'll ever be good enough to be a regular starter simply because he lacks confidence and composure on the ball.

Chippy_boy said:
IanBishopsHaircut said:
Thought he was very good yesterday..bluemooners are quick to criticise but seemingly unwilling to praise when warranted

Personally I was pleased for the lad

I think we are all pleased for the lad, aren't we?

But you say he was "very good". I am putting the goal for one side, and that is perhaps unfair, but apart from that, what was it that you thought was "very good? Because for the life of me i couldn't see anything that any of perhaps 50 premiership or even Championship midfield players coukd not have done as well or better.

He was barely "OK" in my view, and far from beung very good.

Exactly my point. Someone in the pre-match thread asked me who from WBA I would take in his place as I was one of the many worried about the Fernando-Lampard midfield (which I believe would have been severely exposed had they not had the sending off) and I said you could easily replace him with Morrison and not miss anything. That is not in any way ringing praise for either player.

And I still think that is true. We actually have several players in the EDS squad that could do a similar job with quite a bit more potential for improvement and a much lower wage.

The problem with Fernando is not that he is so average or limited—though, he is—it is that he takes up a squad role that is extremely disproportionate to his contribution. Once your team has more of those players than the great/world class players you become the recent Manchester Uniteds, Tottenhams, and Liverpools. We need to stem the tide as we are creeping into dangerous waters and that is the most frustrating thing about our recent transfer policy.

He is not a fraud, and he certainly gives his all, but those two things on their own are not good enough for our side, unless we desperately long for the days of mid-table glory. I don't think any of these views are "embarrassing" or unreasonable.

Did Ok yesterday scored at a corner and ranked quite well with a score of 6.5/10 from me that pretty much matches the average for game play in the press - indeed he actually passed forward diagonally on 3 or 4 occasions. That said after Lampard went off the team as a whole didn't defend as well.
He probably could make it as a squad player but that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.