Player Thread: Patrick Roberts

I like Barker a lot but I think Roberts is ahead of him as a pure talent. Barker is enigmatic and IMO is at his best in the box, and I'd like to see him converted into an orthodox striker.

He's got blistering pace, and is a fantastic finisher with either foot from the left side of the box; very Henry-esque from that position. Puts Sterling to shame in that regard.

But we don't want every player to be a Nasri. Roberts reminded me of Robben the other day - a player that some think is a little greedy. And yeah, of course he is, but that's what makes him so brilliant but too.

My big worry is that we're already starting to turn Barker into Nasri. He's explosive, but if he plays it safe, like he did in preseason he'll be half the player he is.
Completely agree with both you and Colin Lee. My thoughts were more in line with using him on the INSIDE, rather than as a Navas/Sterling replacement. He, like Brandon Barker, looks like he has speed, agility, and the ability to attack defenders at pace, which is an invaluable quality. Question is, does it fit in with Pelle's idea of what we need own our supporting 3 behind Agueto/Bony, where there is immense competition.

For me, instead of adding Nacho to the mix on Saturday, Barker or Roberts would give been an ideal addition, giving WHU a different look and Vity a less pedestrian outlet. I completely agree that while Nasri is an outstanding passer, controller and visionary with the ball, his transition from defense to attack is woefully lacking at times.

I like Barker a lot but I think Roberts is ahead of him as a pure talent. Barker is enigmatic and IMO is at his best in the box, and I'd like to see him converted into an orthodox striker.

He's got blistering pace, and is a fantastic finisher with either foot from the left side of the box; very Henry-esque from that position. Puts Sterling to shame in that regard.

Martial showed, once again, how important finishing is when you get a sniff. His finish from the intercepted back pass puts Sterlings breakaway attempts to shame. Missed chances finally cost us points this season, so let's hope WHU 2015 doesn't become Stoke 2014!!

I think Navas gets too nervous now and would like to see Roberts start off in our domestic cup games.

Having seen him v Juve at the CFA I was hoping Pellers would give him ten minutes on Saturday to try and repeat the goal he scored on Tuesday. He is just the player to either run through three or four or be arse-ended up for Kollers or Yaya to thrash one in!

Completely agree with both you and Colin Lee. My thoughts were more in line with using him on the INSIDE, rather than as a Navas/Sterling replacement. He, like Brandon Barker, looks like he has speed, agility, and the ability to attack defenders at pace, which is an invaluable quality. Question is, does it fit in with Pelle's idea of what we need own our supporting 3 behind Agueto/Bony, where there is immense competition.

For me, instead of adding Nacho to the mix on Saturday, Barker or Roberts would give been an ideal addition, giving WHU a different look and Vity a less pedestrian outlet. I completely agree that while Nasri is an outstanding passer, controller and visionary with the ball, his transition from defense to attack is woefully lacking at times.

Kelechi was brought on because he's played before & Pellegrini knows him better imo. It's classic Manuel, & my biggest criticism of his instinct/ability to be a real top of the tree 'a' list manager. He needs a few months/years & a book full of stats on the player before spontaniously throwing him on. 'Kelechi scores goals & is next in line, lets hope he scores if I throw him on, out of position'.

As Martial has showed for Utd, young players can give the side a boost. People are going wildly over the top about him, but what he's done isn't actually uncommon at all, in fact it's par for the course with young players of a decent standard. Kelechi has also done it already for City. But Kelechi was the wrong substitution in the wrong position on Saturday.

What we needed wasn't necessarily a finisher, they had 10 players in the box blocking everything, we needed a wild card, something different.

It was the perfect moment for Patrick Roberts. Ferguson would have done it, without a shadow of a doubt, in fact he would probably have had both on & left Bony on the bench.

Yep with 10 mins to go Navas wasn't making any opportunities it was time to give the lad the opportunity

With 60 minutes left to go Navas wasn't creating chances

How he got past half time I will never know

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.