Player topic: David Silva (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
lewisMCFC said:
Does anyone know why he fuck MP plays arguably one of the best attacking midfielders in the world, on the left wing?? It frustrates me to no end. Play him behind the striker/s ffs!

Because he's obsessed with his own tactical formation it seems. I agree with you he should play as a pure no.10. No idea why he was subbed when we were one down today, there were plenty worse out there than Silva. I suspect it was to protect him ahead of Barca - probably the same reason that Nasri didn't come on - in which case add that to the list of reasons to get rid of Pellegrini, the league is still important.

lewisMCFC said:
Does anyone know why he fuck MP plays arguably one of the best attacking midfielders in the world, on the left wing?? It frustrates me to no end. Play him behind the striker/s ffs!

Silva has nearly always played wide for us and drifted into the middle. Same under Mancini.

Damocles said:
lewisMCFC said:

Silva has nearly always played wide for us and drifted into the middle. Same under Mancini.

Doesn't mean it's his best position.

lewisMCFC said:

The left wing? If that's the case why does the opposition right back always seem to have 50 yards of open space to run into when we lose possession?

super_city_si said:
Damocles said:
lewisMCFC said:

Doesn't mean it's his best position.

It doesn't, but equally it doesn't mean that Silva playing on the left is a problem in itself as he's predominantly played that role successfully for us.

Having said that, I'd always prefer to see him playing just behind a lone striker away from home.

This lad should be in the middle of the park orchestrating play,to position him anywhere else is denying us a major threat and not giving us beat advantage.
Its like buying a Rottweiler and treating it like a fucking Chihuahua.

FantasyIreland said:
This lad should be in the middle of the park orchestrating play,to position him anywhere else is denying us a major threat and not giving us beat advantage.

Couldn't agree more FI. Funnily enough I think the team played it's best football when we had no strikers and we had Jimmy up front and Merlin floating behind over the Xmas period. We actually seemed through necessity to play in a compact and organised way, and generally it worked.

Then we got our strikers back and started to jam the square pegs into the round holes (eg Silva on the wing) in our 'preferred' 442 and suddenly we started to look exposed again.

To me it's simple. If you have a player as good as Silva, then you play him behind one striker and give him a licence to create.

jollylescott said:
FantasyIreland said:

Couldn't agree more FI. Funnily enough I think the team played it's best football when we had no strikers and we had Jimmy up front and Merlin floating behind over the Xmas period. We actually seemed through necessity to play in a compact and organised way, and generally it worked.

Then we got our strikers back and started to jam the square pegs into the round holes (eg Silva on the wing) in our 'preferred' 442 and suddenly we started to look exposed again.

To me it's simple. If you have a player as good as Silva, then you play him behind one striker and give him a licence to create.

Boom!

So why cant the manger see this?? its fucking strange.....mental in fact!

If we play Silva centrally then we can only play with 1 striker, as we would then be even more vulnerable without the ball if Silva and Toure were are central midfiled players, as neither are to keen to chase the opposition if they lose the ball, and if we only want to play 1 striker whey did we buy Bony ? The only way to use Silva centrally and play 2 strikers would be in a 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 formation and then 3 in midfield would not allow for much width and this would mean the central one of the 3 - (probably Toure), would be asked to play more defensive which is not his strength.

We need to decide if we want to play 2 out and out strikers or have 1 i.e. Aguero with Silva as a no. 10. supporting him.

As Silva and Toure are best going forward we can only play with 1 striker really if we want both of these 2 to play and yet still have a chance of being solid defensively

City1974 said:
If we play Silva centrally then we can only play with 1 striker, as we would then be even more vulnerable without the ball if Silva and Toure were are central midfiled players, as neither are to keen to chase the opposition if they lose the ball, and if we only want to play 1 striker whey did we buy Bony ? The only way to use Silva centrally and play 2 strikers would be in a 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 formation and then 3 in midfield would not allow for much width and this would mean the central one of the 3 - (probably Toure), would be asked to play more defensive which is not his strength.

We need to decide if we want to play 2 out and out strikers or have 1 i.e. Aguero with Silva as a no. 10. supporting him.

As Silva and Toure are best going forward we can only play with 1 striker really if we want both of these 2 to play and yet still have a chance of being solid defensively
I agree this is indeed the dilemma.

When we bought Bony it more or less committed us to playing with two strikers and Silva out on the left wing. As others have said his natural tendency is to drift inside, and then this exposes Clichy to the counter attack without any protection. I noticed that Danamy has been banging the drum about 4-2-3-1. This formation makes far more sense to me and recognises the imbalances, and strengths and weaknesses, in our current squad.

Unfortunately I can't see us reverting to 4-2-3-1, and therefore Silva will continue on the left wing with Kun partnering either Bony or Ed.

However I wonder if we get a new manager, whether we will revert to a single striker and allow Silva to play as a number 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.