Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If/when Mangala becomes a steady performer at a very good level, calms some aspects of his game down, there will be a lot of people on here eating an awful lot of humble pie. Mangala got ripped a new one in his 1st few months. I hope he shoves that back down some people's throats.

shemnel said:
If/when Mangala becomes a steady performer at a very good level, calms some aspects of his game down, there will be a lot of people on here eating an awful lot of humble pie. Mangala got ripped a new one in his 1st few months. I hope he shoves that back down some people's throats.

Absolutely. Too many are too quick to write someone off. I will also put Fernando in the bracket

mosssideblue said:
shemnel said:

Absolutely. Too many are too quick to write someone off. I will also put Fernando in the bracket

I will hold my hands up as being one of those not to give the lad more of a chance.

I don't think it's so much his ability, as the price we paid for somebody who might be a great defender.in a few years time. We've got an Academy full of those type of players.

shemnel said:
I think we all hope he turns out great in the near future but he got ripped to bits at first coz he was shocking (so not entirely unfair). Mango, Denayer and Rekik could be immense for us in 12 months time......

shemnel said:

Key words being If and hope.

I actually think he will be better when we have a manager who knows what he is doing from a defensive point of view. Kompany has looked equally as iffy this season and yet he was recognised as one of Europe's best defenders. You don't turn to shit overnight so again it links back to the system we play.

Mangala and Kompany should have everything to be a great central defensive pairing and I think they will be when someone sorts it out.

As for Fernando, I cant see him ever being at the standard we need but you never know.

Some people have been far too harsh on him (I've held off on that) much was expected because we chose to spend £42m on him. We then decided to play him in spurts with a different CB partner and full back beside him some weeks, hardly making it easy for him to settle in. It's also a downside for us that we've often played with two central midfielders and as we know they don't offer great protection for our CB's.

It will do him good to play till the end of the season, hopefully he and VK will start together regularly next season with some better protection from the midfield also.

Kinkladze 1 said:
I think we all hope he turns out great in the near future but he got ripped to bits at first coz he was shocking (so not entirely unfair). Mango, Denayer and Rekik could be immense for us in 12 months time......

Bollocks.

He has never been 'shocking'.......inconsistent maybe.....but you can pretty much tag any player settling in a new league,with new team mates,in a new country with that label......add the fact the rest of the squad has been well under par and Mangala has had plenty to contend with.

In summary,i think,given the above.....he hasn't done badly at all and on one or two occasions he has even been outstanding,including his debut!

He was VERY GOOD against West Ham and Villa. His challenges were pretty much well considered and he could plainly play as a LCH in a three as well when the full back has pressed forward.

I find it incredible that a player who has been so poor for most of the season is still regarded by so many here as a ‘great prospect’. He is nothing of the sort, and the sooner we come to that realisation the better. He is drawn to the ball the whole time, has no positional sense, gets us consistently into trouble with passes that are just not on, has horrid control, panics at the merest hint of trouble, and spreads uncertainty all around him.

On the other hand, we have two really good prospects in Denayer and Rekik who deserve to be blooded ahead of a player who is just not good enough.

Nastasic looked a far better prospect, and even Stefan Savic appears a better prospect now. The sooner we admit that we’ve made a big mistake with Mangala, the sooner we can move on, and come up with a central defensive partnership worthy of a side aiming to win the prem and the champs’ league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.