Player Topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reality is that the way our team plays, we force our defenders into these do or die situations pretty regularly and mistakes will be made and goals will come from them. That we were so open in the 89th minute when holding on to a one goal lead is just pretty appalling, but what we've all come to expect. No pressure on the ball, plus high line means defenders will have to make a lot of excellent decisions to prevent the other team getting in behind, as even a split second misjudgement like Mangala's against Gomis leads to an incredibly easily created chance.
This is essentially why I don't think we should be making any cast iron judgements on Mangala until he's had a season under a manager who isn't borderline negligent when it comes to the defensive side of the game. Pellegrini seems quite happy to admit that he isn't too arsed about the defence so why is anyone surprised that generally our defenders are struggling?

My issue is he's been with us for 18 month and still struggles to grasp the basics, Saturday was another showing of his lack of ability to make the correct decision.

I really want him to become the top defender we know he can, but he continually makes poor mistakes.

I guess my feeling is at the time we bought him you don't spend whatever it was as a gamble on potential. You spend £10 mill. Or as Everton did with Stones, 7 mill. For 30-40 mill you expect a top quality premiership-ready defender and regardless of team tactics this guy doesn't look like that.

But until the end of the season he's what we have to rely on so I hope I'm totally wrong.

Mangala is everything I want to see in a City cb, in that he's big strong fast, decent in the air, decent in the tackle, not passive, decent on the ball. But unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have learned anything since he arrived.

I would like to see him under a better manager, but right now, from a position of being convinced he would be the business when he settled down, I'm really wondering if he will ever settle down & whether he has the instict to be a defender.

He is exactly the kind of player I want to see there, ability wise. But there's no point having pace if your brain doesn't work, or your arse goes.

Can't remember such a physical specimen missing so many simple skills, maybe Bambi in the first 30 mins.
What a waste of money, what do we really think he's worth? I think £7m at most.

Watched him for Porto and didn't think he was up to much. Thought I would be proven wrong after a few promising performances this year but sadly it doesn't look like he is learning. Still got time on his side though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.