Player Topic: Fabian Delph (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most thing I like from Delph is his dribbling game per game.

You don't dribble if you are not confident and talented player.

Maybe you should tell Pirlo and Xavi about this remarkable breakthrough you've made? ;-)

Only kidding mate, I understand what you mean, but I don't think you have to dribble to be a good player.

Heard Doggymore on Talkshite earlier... he's not a happy bunny, but to be fair to him he was angry that Villa agreed to such a low buy-out clause... as he said, £8mil - even teams like West Ham or Sunderland could have triggered that!

Just to note that he's proving himself to be as big a clueless dickhead as normal. The buyout clause only applied to clubs who were in the Champions League.

Just to note that he's proving himself to be as big a clueless dickhead as normal. The buyout clause only applied to clubs who were in the Champions League.

So the clause only applies to clubs in the Champions League. In that case we can get Delph for £8m but Sunderland or West Ham would have to pay more? Hmm...stange logic.

Sorry, accidently clicked post reply before I finished the previous post.

Why on earth would you put that clause in a contract, if you have something of percived higher value, why would you sell it cheaper to someone because of CL football. If that club is interested doesn't it make it more saleable and therefore command a higher value?

Would have thought the more logical way to structure the clause is to say, "You can go for £8m, however if it is to a club in Europa League it's £10m and for one int the CL it's £12m"

You might well be right. I am trying to be objective in terms of what they did productively. I remember Milner scoring a fair few goals and if memory serves correctly a good percentage of winners in tight games. He did play quite advanced for Villa and I guess he is some competition up there for City. However I have never seen an engine like him on any other player, he was literally box to box when required, would be up there with every counter yet back defending or tracking runners. It felt like we had 12 players when he was playing. Seemed good at being in space especially near the end of games when markers were tiring. He was decent at crossing also, he could appear on the pitch in any place. Loved his attitude.

Delph doesn't really score many, make assists, or great at tackling (bad tackles is a strong suit) quite small so doesn't win many headers. He is a bit like Cleverly in those terms. Both liking to keep the ball moving, short accurate passes good off the ball in making himself available, Delph though is a good dribbler off both feet, likes to turn and drive (can be a weak point when he keeps doing it int trouble). Incisive passing is not a strong point he certainly won't be threading balls through unless that is something he has been hiding, or Villa are bad at playing on the shoulder. He has loads of energy, works hard, happy to close down and although a reckless tackler (used to be really bad but think he improved last season) can work well in a defensive unit. It might be that those aspects of his game suit City. He might get more space playing for City, however I can't see him getting as far up the field.

He is definately not better than Yaya by a stretch apart from attitude and desire, and I've not noticed enough of fernandinho to comment.

Quick decisions, you must be having a laugh!

Thanks for that mate. Most of what you said is pretty much what I thought. When I said incisive passing, I didn't really mean David Silva style through balls, I means sharp quick passing that keeps the tempo of the team ticking along. The fact he is good at moving in to space to show feet is another huge plus for us, because Fernando and to a lesser extent Milner weren't very good at at that. Fernando is one of the worst professional players I've ever seen at that in fact, and I personally think Delph is being brought in to replace him.

I totally get what you are saying about Milner being here, there and everywhere. That's kind of a good example of what I was saying about him standing out at a slightly lower standard. He started in central midfield for us against Bayern at home and he was chasing after the ball all over the pitch like a dog chasing after sausages. Bayern were just passing it around him and exploiting the space he left. The difference is at that level, you can't do it all yourself and if you're coving every blade of grass and trying to do it all yourself, you're not doing your job properly.

No one is expecting Delph to be anywhere near Yaya, hopefully Pogba is going to come in for that role. Delph will be back up to Fernandinho, they are quite similar players, although I think Delph is probably not quite at the same standard yet. But he looks a huge upgrade on Fernando, so I'm really happy with him.

What do you mean about quick decisions having a laugh? I was talking about on the pitch by the way! ;-)

Sorry, accidently clicked post reply before I finished the previous post.

Why on earth would you put that clause in a contract, if you have something of percived higher value, why would you sell it cheaper to someone because of CL football. If that club is interested doesn't it make it more saleable and therefore command a higher value?

Would have thought the more logical way to structure the clause is to say, "You can go for £8m, however if it is to a club in Europa League it's £10m and for one int the CL it's £12m"

Delph only had six months left on his contract so he could dictate the clause. Fabian went for £8m because that is how much Villa paid Leeds for him. He didn't want Villa to make a loss over the two deals.

Villa didn't want to lose Delph for £8m - and particularly not to a team who they felt they could compete with - so wanted to limit the numbrr of clubs he could move to. Fabian had confidence that his next transfer would take him to the Champs League (although I don't know exactly what his contract said).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.