Player Topic: Vincent Kompany (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yaya can play in Central defence if we run out of cover. After all, he's got a Champs League medal from playing centre back.

Latics fan picks up on the negative tone of several posters towards Vinny's injury. He's hit the proverbial nail on the head!
No he can't. His medal was years ago. He is still a great player but he hasn't the speed or mobility needed any more.

If you want to try and take a positive out of Kompany's latest setback then it would be the fact that Otamendi & Mangala have an extended period now to try and work on improving their partnership and understanding of each other. Quite rare, but I was impressed with Mangala last night. Didn't give Vardy a sniff (though I do believe Vardy's recent goalscoring form was the classic purple-patch rather than all of a sudden a £30m player), and didn't produce any calamitous passes like he's done recently, though his foul on the edge of the box late on was reckless.

Back to Kompany though, and I think there has to be a general worry about just what he can offer City going forward. It's bad enough having Aguero sitting out for stretches but with Kompany it seems even worse. I think the medical team have to think about how they introduce Kompany back into training, but more specifically Pellegrini has to think about how soon he brings him back into the starting XI. He needs recovery time, certainly not rushing back, and given the amount of calf injuries he has has in recent times it would suggest to me that he has been rushed back, or certainly not as fit as he's made himself out to be.

That's the bit that worries me most if true. He was nowhere near fit enough to play and to break down after 9 minutes emphasises that fact (calf stretch or no).

VK is as blue as most on here and more than some. Those saying after an injury plagued season dump him and move on are living on another planet.
Happy new year to all blues
This isnt his first season hes suffered injuries last season he spent quite a bit of time injured and people dont want to dump him they just know we cant rely on him anymore and we need another top class defender

No he can't. His medal was years ago. He is still a great player but he hasn't the speed or mobility needed any more.

You might be right Steve and I'm talking about an emergency back up. I was impressed with Yaya, watching him win a number of headers at Leicester and he covered a decent amount of ground.

If we were looking at emergency defensive cover then Pellers might need to flex from the predictable high defensive line!

Calf injuries are always likely to recur. That's just the reality. Weakened muscles, scar tissue and the like. It's no coincidence it's the same injury. It's great when he's available but we have to plan around the likelihood that he won't be able to play week in and week out. Nothing wrong with planning for the worst.

You might be right Steve and I'm talking about an emergency back up. I was impressed with Yaya, watching him win a number of headers at Leicester and he covered a decent amount of ground.

If we were looking at emergency defensive cover then Pellers might need to flex from the predictable high defensive line!
True. It's just the way players run past him like he's not there sometimes. Pellers is too stubborn to drop the high line. If he did Demi might not look so bad.

I watched Barca last night and it was interesting to see their defence played deeper and that their midfield did so much running. When they needed them there was always two midfielders closing down players in front of the back four, even if the two were far upfield seconds before.

That's the problem with Yaya as a defensive player. In the same situation he's still slowly loping back into position. It's no disrespect to anyone to recognise what they can or cannot do, especially as they get older.

I am gutted for Kompany, what a player and leader.

But MCFC are a business and they must constantly look to the future and evolve, a replacement is needed as we can no longer rely on him.

There have been a few examples of players that have suffered a spate of injuries in their mid to late 20s but then managed to shake them off and carry on playing for several years. Giggs being the most obvious example.

The press are reporting today about City carrying out an "MOT" on Kompany to get to the bottom of his recurring problems. Perhaps they're trying to establish whether there really is a chronic problem that just will not go away, a Rodwell/Hargreaves situation. Or whether its a temporary thing that can be managed by modifying the way he trains and plays. I just cant see City washing their hands of Kompany unless they really believed that these injuries are incurable.

The situation is obviously complicated because of the question marks over the centre backs generally, especially Mangala. Ideally we would have moved on DeMichellis in the summer and kept Denayer. My guess is that the club would like to muddle through until the summer and then completely re-evaluate the centre back situation.

There have been a few examples of players that have suffered a spate of injuries in their mid to late 20s but then managed to shake them off and carry on playing for several years. Giggs being the most obvious example.

The press are reporting today about City carrying out an "MOT" on Kompany to get to the bottom of his recurring problems. Perhaps they're trying to establish whether there really is a chronic problem that just will not go away, a Rodwell/Hargreaves situation. Or whether its a temporary thing that can be managed by modifying the way he trains and plays. I just cant see City washing their hands of Kompany unless they really believed that these injuries are incurable.

The situation is obviously complicated because of the question marks over the centre backs generally, especially Mangala. Ideally we would have moved on DeMichellis in the summer and kept Denayer. My guess is that the club would like to muddle through until the summer and then completely re-evaluate the centre back situation.

No question of washing our hands of him. He's the best cd we've had in decades and we won't find better.

City say it's a Grade 2, so not a complete rupture but very significant tearing. Realistically it's at least a month before you can even think of playing. More if we don't want to rush him back too soon.

Giggs is a good example but he did have to adapt how he played.

I'd rather not see Vinny for months if that means he gets fully fit. If he gets fit and clocked again in the Euro's I'll be really pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.