Players season ratings

Nice post sir - I think along the same lines but you expressed it far better than me.

I must re-read Pep Confidential but I thought Pep was an analytics guy.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/...ells-us-how-pep-guardiola-has-embraced-stats/

Cheers. I have recently read Pep Confidential and l believe it is the video analysis that Pep favours and rightly so. He clearly finds it nice to know that his team had seventy odd percent possession in a game, if someone tells him, but he already knows if his team kept the ball well and used it well from being on the touchline. However, whilst video analysis is hugely important, it does mean his analytics guys can't use various performance indicators to help identify strengths and weaknesses in both their own team and opponents. I would think you can use the numbers to speed the process of analysis up e.g. Does a team favour attacking down one flank, which you can discover very quickly from statistics rather than watching a series of games. The trick is in combining all the available tools to provide the manager with the information he needs to prepare for games and training sessions.

Hart 7
Caballero 4
Sagna 8
Zabaleta 4
Demi 1
Kompany 4
Otamendi 6.5
Mangala 7
Clichy 7
Kolarov 3
Yaya 2
Fernandinho 8
Fernando 7
Kdb 8
Navas 6
Silva 5
Nasri 6.5
Delph 4
Sterling 6
Iheanacho 7
Aguero 8.8
Bony 2

Literally can't believe some of the marks/comments for Sagna & Clichy. Both are a complete liability - if you're looking for reasons for our declining performances then look no further.
In stark contrast imagine us without KDB/Sergio where would we be?
And they're getting similar ratings!?

If our two main full backs this season were both a complete liability we would not be finishing fourth or fifth in the league! I think they have both been solid without obviously being world beaters! I think we all know who has been good and not so good and in general the marks reflect this. The only other that made me want to bang my head on the wall was the one that gave 1 to Navas. Either that person doesn't actually go or goes but does not watch with both eyes!

If these are correct and I have to say, I hadn't noticed how pivotel his role was in some of these then there are no doubt questions to answer. I think people just love his style and it glosses over some of the weaknesses. It also helps him shine when the rest of the midfield are so uninspiring as they have been this season.
It's partly because the majority of the players around him need a rocket up their arse half the time. I think he tries to put out too many fires. I imagine he is probably operating under instruction to press so vigorously, but if he had a little more awareness (especially of what kind of space he leaves behind himself when he presses) he be better for it.

We've all spent half the season wondering how our midfield is easily played through, and the majority of the time it's because we played with a 2 who were at opposite ends of the spectrum. One won't press and one over does it. So when Dinho is passed around, Yaya won't fill in so it leaves us exposed. Playing a 3 gives us more margin for error and if Dinho misses the press, Fernando is still in a position to slow down the attack.

Against Spurs, United, Arsenal and Leicester, we were operating as a 2 when the goals were conceded, yet Dinho pressed in exactly the same manner as he would in a 3.

I made a thread about this a couple of MP the ago and linked all the goals. I will tag you if I can find it and you can have a gander.

My view

Hart 8 Consistent very few blunders, pep will not get a better replacement.
Caballero 5 Often very ordinary, but had his 10 mins in the light.
Sagna 8 A good season
Zabaleta 5 Struggled to find his form not helped by injury or rotation
Demi 4 Unfortunately age has caught up
Kompany 7 Injuries aside has been excellent
Otamendi 6 Stop sliding in
Mangala 5 Please think and pass to a free Blue
Clichy 7 A good season
Kolarov 4 A bad season (is there anything but?)
Yaya 5 Age has caught up with him. Been a legend for City remember that.
Fernandinho 8 Great season very consistent and energetic
Fernando 6 Had decent and average games in equal measure
Kdb 8 When he is hot he is red hot, can go missing
Navas 6 Tried his best worked hard, If only.....
Silva 6 Carried injuries and it showed, get well soon Legend
Nasri 5 No season at all
Delph 5 Expected better, manager didn't help
Sterling 6 As above, shone in Europe
Iheanacho 8 Should of had more time
Aguero 8 Words fail, Legend
Bony 2 Words fail, No Legend ever. (I could fill a page on negatives)

Only a few have under performed most have been average, mainly due to injuries. Fernandinho for me has been our standout performer, Aguero and KDB both may/would of topped him but for injuries. The fact that Dinho managed to do it all season just gave him the edge.

Quote :
Navas 7 due to his work rate,occupying defenders and decent attitude.Based on his crossing and shooting he'd have got about 4.

I will never understand why Navas gets the abuse he does get. Name any winger in the Prem. who can pick out a pass into the box , when teams sometimes have 8/9 players in their penalty area.
Defending -
It would help Navas if some City player(s) got into the box.
Take the last game against Arse - he put in a couple of perfect crosses and no one - in a City shirt - was anywhere near.
I do , however , think he should practice shooting - woeful at times.

Quote :
Navas 7 due to his work rate,occupying defenders and decent attitude.Based on his crossing and shooting he'd have got about 4.

I will never understand why Navas gets the abuse he does get. Name any winger in the Prem. who can pick out a pass into the box , when teams sometimes have 8/9 players in their penalty area.

Totally agree, I do think Navas will be kept by Pep and he will use him a lot better. He just needs a bit of love and shouting at.

End of seasons stars from the games me and my wife have seen

5a0239e.jpg

hmm, cant see them that well, but Aguerro and De Bryune and Fernandinho were best overall. Demichelis got one for being lovely apparently

Hart - 7 - very good season again.
Caballero - 5 - never really trusted him but glad he was there CoC Final day.
Sagna - 8 - one of our most consistent players & candidate for POTY.
Zabaleta - 6 - the knee injuries have blighted his season & future with us, sadly.
Kompany - 6 - the man's presence & leadership has been sadly missed.
Demichelis - 5 - should have gone a year ago really. He shut down mentally & physically.
Otamendi - 6 - needs to stay on his feet & stop wandering. Would make a good sweeper.
Mangala - 6 - has a lot of good attributes but he's been to inconsistent.
Clichy - 6 - when he's good he's very good but when he's bad he's terrible.
Kolarov - 5 - not his best year by a long stretch.
Fernando - 6 - improved since Christmas. Might not be enough to save him.
Fernandinho - 7 - very good season, consistent & had to do the work of 3 players at times.
Delph - 5 - started ok but faded. Played out of position at times though.
Navas - 6 - one of our hardest workers, never hides. A decent season.
Nasri - 5 - injury blighted campaign.
Sterling - 5 - not done enough. Better in CL but should have provided more on & off the ball.
Silva - 6 - frustrating season for reasons we know. He'll be back.
De Bruyne - 8 - incredible player. Needs better more consistent quality around him.
Toure - 6 - been a star but can't go on forever. Not his best season.
Aguero - 8 - a star, legend, world class hero etc.
Iheanacho - 7 - so much more to come from him but what a start.
Bony - 2 - didn't buy himself, didn't pick himself, not his fault. Not suited to us at all.

Hart - 7.5
Caballero - 7 (star of our only trophy)
SAGNA - 8.5
Zabaleta - 6
Kompany - 6 (excellent nearly every game he played but can't give more because he played so few)
Otamendi - 7
Mangala - 7
Demichelis - 4
Clichy - 7.5 (not had the credit he's deserved)
Kolarov - 4
Fernandinho - 8
Fernando - 7.5
Toure - 5
Delph - 5
Navas - 7
Sterling - 6.5
Silva - 6
De Bruyne - 8
Aguero - 8
Bony - 4
Kelechi - 7.5

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.