Poll | Our involvement in proposed Super League (TSL)

What do you think lay behind our involvement in the ill-fated TSL?

• We've become what we've always hated

Votes: 74 12.1%
  • An ill-judged cock-up

Votes: 220 36.1%
  • An opportunist bit of mischief making

Votes: 23 3.8%
  • A cunning conspiracy to hit our enemies hard

Votes: 67 11.0%
  • Not good but had little choice

Votes: 209 34.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 17 2.8%

• Total voters
Ahh, so the reason were getting no explanation or apology from the club is because they know us Blues realise it was some grand Machiavellian plan to avenge past aggressions?
Granted i've been transfixed on city matters these past few days and not focused on the other 11 teams involved in this debauchery, so i may have missed something, which clubs were actively promoting this on social media and not cowarding behind a wall of silence like we were?

To a degree, yes. It is a layered thing.

Some fans would be assumed to read between the lines, some to just blindly trust them, some to be outraged. Some not to care that much. The outraged ones, they are probably the most passionate ones and most likely to forgive too. Admit a cock-up, apologise, let time settle that. The outcome itself is what matters more.

If you don’t think this was well planned out, I think you’re naive.

If City were jumping on board with this with enthusiasm, why no quotes from anyone from the club?

Why no communication on social media?

Why did Pep and the players come out against it?

If we’d backed out because of the fan reaction, why no apology to fans? Why no explanation to try to get fans back on side?

If we weren’t keeping Ceferin sweet, why did he release a statement glowing in praise of us within 90 seconds of our official announcement?

The idea that City’s executives planned for months to completely transform the landscape of European football and double our broadcast revenue, but backed out after 36 hours because of a couple of banners and a Gary Neville rant just seems so ridiculous that it’s just not plausible.
This post is gonna be a ‘grower’ Perez has watered it......now wait for the sunshine

If you don’t think this was well planned out, I think you’re naive.

If City were jumping on board with this with enthusiasm, why no quotes from anyone from the club?

Why no communication on social media?

Why did Pep and the players come out against it?

If we’d backed out because of the fan reaction, why no apology to fans? Why no explanation to try to get fans back on side?

If we weren’t keeping Ceferin sweet, why did he release a statement glowing in praise of us within 90 seconds of our official announcement?

The idea that City’s executives planned for months to completely transform the landscape of European football and double our broadcast revenue, but backed out after 36 hours because of a couple of banners and a Gary Neville rant just seems so ridiculous that it’s just not plausible.
The Joel Glazer quote in our announcement supports this theory, and the more I think about it the more I think it was an opportunity taken to damage our enemies whilst taking minimal collateral damage. The attitude of Ceferin and Perez support this, as do the lack of any overt support from our board even on our own announcement of our intention to join. The biggest losers in this are Madrid, Barca, Juve, United and Liverpool. PSG and Bayern are the clear winners with ourselves and Chelsea coming out ok. UEFA was never our real enemy, it was the clubs pulling their strings. Those strings are now broken largely thanks to us, and Ceferin is delighted.

The Joel Glazer quote in our announcement supports this theory, and the more I think about it the more I think it was an opportunity taken to damage our enemies whilst taking minimal collateral damage. The attitude of Ceferin and Perez support this, as do the lack of any overt support from our board even on our own announcement of our intention to join. The biggest losers in this are Madrid, Barca, Juve, United and Liverpool. PSG and Bayern are the clear winners with ourselves and Chelsea coming out ok. UEFA was never our real enemy, it was the clubs pulling their strings. Those strings are now broken largely thanks to us, and Ceferin is delighted.
Yeh I agree, also Sorriano’s quote about us wanting “a voice”.

If the SL had gone ahead with City in it, it would strengthen our rivals in relative terms against us. It suited them far more than it suited us.

If it went ahead without us, it would massively strengthens our rivals and could arguably put the future of the PL, and our club in jeopardy.

The ideal scenario for us was to stop it from happening. That’s exactly what happened. If it wasn’t planned out by City executives, then maybe we just got lucky.

Yeh I agree, also Sorriano’s quote about us wanting “a voice”.

If the SL had gone ahead with City in it, it would strengthen our rivals in relative terms against us. It suited them far more than it suited us.

If it went ahead without us, it would massively strengthens our rivals and could arguably put the future of the PL, and our club in jeopardy.

The ideal scenario for us was to stop it from happening. That’s exactly what happened. If it wasn’t planned out by City executives, then maybe we just got lucky.
The hatred of us by fans of many of the other ESL clubs could well have been enough to keep them onside with their own clubs if we had not joined on Sunday if you think about all the "small club" taunts they would have thrown at us had we not joined. The more I think about it the more I think we played a blinder. All the clues are there with the Glazer quote being the biggest tell.

To my mind, the owners have enough credit in the bank. It's a bit different to Liverpool where it's like the owners had a extra marital affair and got caught, ours when out had too much to drink and pissed in the wardrobe. It'll be frosty for a while, but not terminal.

The media discussion is really poor.

I think the timing of the ESL launch was down to cash pressure from Covid and the huge pressure on clubs. ANd it is huge. The ESL started out as cartel tool, then I think they deployed it because they were seriously under cash pressure. Then I think City used their brains and in the words of Florentino Perez 'manipulated' the ESL.

Perez says some pretty strange things but he is the architect. Amid the nonsense and bombast you will find some truth.

Look at this graphic from Swiss Ramble. It suggests finance was an issue, and plays a part in the timing. I think there are a lot of factors, including the City v Liverpool & Man Utd schism.

debt.jpg

Just in case anyone is still in any doubt whatsoever

I saw that too. I wonder if it will make any inroads into the media's consciousness? It doesn't fit into a media narrative of greed v fan power. They have completely missed the political aspect (cartel).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.