Post counts

The thing is, we aren't. It's a common misconception from users on here that we are swamped with rags or wums.

We've allowed a type of echo chamber and paranoia to foster whereby people who have low post counts are automatically devalued as some troll rather than a new poster. There's been a concerted effort to avoid this behaviour over the last few months with Ric making a post about it in the Transfer Forum but seems he's decided to eliminate the problem in a better way

I'm not AT ALL convinced it's a better way of getting rid of it. Ahave pointed out you can easily click on a username and check their post count, so really nobody is going to be being spared the "rag" welcome just because their post count isn't immediately noticeable. My issue though is a wider one. Many of us are using BM on our phones or generally 'on the run' and we have less time to post. So someones post count is a simple and easy way to judge (in conjunction with their join date) as to whether or not I want to enter into a discussion with them about something. It might sound weird to you, but to me it's perfectly normal.

As I said to Ric in a PM i sent him this morning my gut feeling is i'm going to post even less now because ultimately I'm not going to go clicking on every username to see how many posts they have - I'm probably just going to stick to reading the posts of the poster I follow in my news feed or only joining in big City related discussions. The day to day use of the forum will in all probability for me decrease. Not that that's a reason for you to bring the post counts back btw. I'm just expressing my opinion on it. I respect hugely the work Ric and you have done on the new layout etc so you guys are free to run it as you see fit!

I'm very much for the idea, and I'll give reasons why so hopefully people can understand my support:

• Post counts in the eyes of some as they have admitted in this thread, has created a tiered user system in terms of how people read the post of the person. They treat the same opinion extremely differently based on a number by the side of a name. It's better to treat people on the content of their post and debate them on it than it is to agree or dismiss based on a number
  • The forum and especially the transfer part of it has become a paranoid place where many of our posters believe anybody and everybody is there purely to irritate them. The Reds Under The Bed paranoia has interfered with discussion to the point that legit new users are getting pilloried from all sides if they don't start off proclaiming City as the biggest and best club in the world who can do no wrong. Their card is then marked by users. The forum is supposed to be a laugh, most people don't find going online to a place to discuss a football team and being called a **** and a liar constantly a fun thing to do.
  • This is a bigger problem than post counts but over the last 12 months this forum has just become plain nasty and it's driven away many, many users. Removing post counts won't immediately fix this but if we can remove some of it and force people to actually read posts instead of skim reading them then we might improve it a little. Anger and impotent rage of the type felt on forums is like a virus that spreads; people get annoyed in a thread in the main forum then go into Off Topic and explode at somebody over a different topic. Cutting down any of that stuff is a net positive for the forum. We don't want a sanitised and clean forum where people can't show their passion but on the other side we're seriously creating a place where only one opinion is correct and if you're not part of that opinion then you get constantly barracked. This goes for everything from transfers to politics on here.
  • They serve no actual purpose. The purpose they have been serving for people are a purpose that they aren't designed for and aren't wanted for.

The thing is, we aren't. It's a common misconception from users on here that we are swamped with rags or wums.

We've allowed a type of echo chamber and paranoia to foster whereby people who have low post counts are automatically devalued as some troll rather than a new poster. There's been a concerted effort to avoid this behaviour over the last few months with Ric making a post about it in the Transfer Forum but seems he's decided to eliminate the problem in a better way

They stick out like sore fucking thumbs mate as well as previous banned users or folk just on the wum.

Why shouldn't they get the stick they deserve?

Not my site or my decision but its a bollox decision, pandering to a few.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.