Post Match: City vs Barca

Alan Oakes Shinpads said:
Rorz88 said:
Lovebitesandeveryfing said:
I honestly don’t think there’s a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth to be done here. We’ve got to be a little bit philosophical about it. What we saw last night was a team that is undoubtedly very good beaten by a team that is substantially better, in virtually all departments. They move together as an astonishingly disciplined bloc, they don’t leave great windy spaces anywhere, they don’t let you settle on the ball, and when they break, they break very, very fast. They also have a man who, when he has the ball at his foot, can accelerate away and dribble at speed in a way that’s just unmanageable for the opposing defence. Give him any space, and he’ll use it. Before you know it, he’s left two defenders trailing in his wake, and that pulls the defence out of shape. On the basis of the first half particularly — although in the second half there was a sublime piece of control with the ball almost out of play in our area that probably only he could have done in the world — I see no evidence of any decline in Messi’s powers.
No, really, there’s a bunch of good teams in Europe, and then there are three that, for the time being, are just a cut above the rest.
Now — what can be saved from all this? We were considerably better in the second half, because we upped our tempo. In terms of stats, we finally had almost as many shots as them over the whole match, because of the second half performance. Although they made theirs tell much more. You can also plausibly claim that if Dzeko buries that ball from about five yards out, on his own, it’s potentially a different match. Although I have to say that Barca always looked potentially good for a third goal, even in the second half. The penalty: at 3-1 the return match was a dead rubber. Hart did the business. At 2-1 it’s a long shot, very long, but with Yaya back, it can be done. It would be one hell of a result, but it can be done.
One year ago, we had a man sent off, conceded a penalty, and lost 2-0. This year, we had a man sent off, conceded a penalty, and lost 2-1. Mathematically, you know, that’s marginal progress! More generally, we were made to look ridiculous by Bayern last season at the Etihad, and two seasons back Joe had to pull out a once in a lifetime performance against Dortmund. That’s not happening any more, even against Europe’s very best. The road is long…but we’re on it. Not cheerful about the result, not glossing over it. I really did think we could beat them, this time. But we’ve played some dogshite matches this season, in and out of Europe. This wasn’t one of them.

Top post mate

Good God !!

A considered and reasoned post amongst a lot of knee jerk reaction. Get this poster banned immediately mods.

Well done Lovebitesandeveryfing

Well, thanks lads. I'm going to go blue with embarrassment. I try to discipline myself not to post in the immediate wake of a match, to wait for about 24 hours. Otherwise, all we're doing, most of the time, is knee-jerking (me included). Mind you, a forum's for that too, I suppose. Of course, it cuts both ways — not only for the matches we've cocked up, but the ones we've won handsomely. After the Newcastle match I thought some of the posts were giving us too much credit against what was a decidedly weak team (if only Barcelona played like Newcastle, not running at us! giving us all the time we like on the ball!) Now on to a really interesting test on Sunday…

salfordbluetrue said:
the big difference between this and last year was last year we had a star struck ref who blew his whistle every time dzeco went near the ball . this year dzeco was allowed to play thanks to one of the best referees i have seen for a long time. another difference was barca had close to a 100 million pounds worth of new talent starting city had 12

Bingo.

Hugely disappointing night, even more so for the fact that the 2nd half showed we had the ability to beat them had we had the right mentality from the off.

Something is missing, perhaps a lack of homegrown leaders to drag us through nights like that, whether they be thick or thin, or perhaps it's just that first knockout mental stumbling block that we need to get lucky with and face an inferior team to put us through to the quarter or semi finals, at which point our very presence will be proof enough to our players that we can beat Europe's elite.

Either way, at half time I was praying that we'd somehow manage to nick a goal, cut our losses and run away to the Nou Camp without a 3/4-0 pounding, and that's what we did. Just.

At least we still have a chance, and sometimes that's all you need.

Wonder why whiskey nose was there last night. Maybe he is just bored shitless watching that crap at the swamp. Unless the camera was on his double who sits near me.

Our game was so much better when we played it direct or even long ball to bypass their midfield. No more tiki-taka against the master and focus more on direct/set play is the only way to win in the 2nd leg imo.

Never had a kick first half they pressed us hard high up the pitch when we did this after half time we were much better . Clichy what was he thinking of getting sent off just after we had scored for a challenge was un-cordinating at best and brainless at worst, the man cannot tackle to save his life Paul Scholes was a better tackler than him.. The defending for the 2nd goal was shite 7 players excluding Joe in and around the six yard box and Hannibal still scored . The marking of runners was non existant Messi ran 20 yards into our box and no one tracked him fortunatley he was just offside. We still have a lot to learn and after 4 yrs of champions lge football we have severe learning difficulties, alot of the current squad have been here all that time and appear to have learnt nothing

Watching the first half, it was like a cat toying with a mouse before he kills it. The second half was a big improvement (not difficult). The worrying thing though is our lack of improvement in our CL campaigns. This is our fourth season in the competition, and is there any significant improvement from when we stepped out against Napoli in September 2011? Yes, we're getting tough draws but we can't keep using that as an excuse. We'll keep on getting them until we make a serious run in the competition (QF onwards). We don't seem cunning enough or tactically aware of how to play against Europe's elite. And I don't see it changing anytime soon.

I just watched the first 30 minutes of the game and I think we were lucky to go just 2 down. You and I can blame team selection and 4 or 5 in midfield all we want but the attitude was not there. City just had a very hard time in that first half hour and seem many of the players were not up to it. Nasri did a lot of talking but didn't buck it up. The first goal was all on Kompany and Fernando was almost playing for Barcelona, I counted 3 times at least he gave the ball directly to a yellow shirt player. I was very optimistic before the game and I didn't think much of the team selection or maybe was the beer doing the thinking for me. Anyway, that been said this tie is far from over. If and IF we believe we can go there to win the game then there are more chances we will win it. simple as that. But The right attitude and focus during 90 minutes is what at least expect to see.

Hopefully can get rid of about 8 players and get a real good team.

City pay the highest wages, why aren't they up there with Bayern, Barca and Real? Shameful.

jimharri said:
Watching the first half, it was like a cat toying with a mouse before he kills it. The second half was a big improvement (not difficult). The worrying thing though is our lack of improvement in our CL campaigns. This is our fourth season in the competition, and is there any significant improvement from when we stepped out against Napoli in September 2011? Yes, we're getting tough draws but we can't keep using that as an excuse. We'll keep on getting them until we make a serious run in the competition (QF onwards). We don't seem cunning enough or tactically aware of how to play against Europe's elite. And I don't see it changing anytime soon.
Spot on .
4 years on and we still haven't sussed it out .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.