Post Match Thread: Barca vs City

sam-caddick said:
BobKowalski said:
Johnsonontheleft said:
Without FFP we would have started that game with Aguero, Suarez & possibly Messi upfront. Just think about that for a second.

FFP has had the desired effect of crippling our progress. We can buy Wilfried Bonys for £30m but what we need are galacticos to level the playing field. A Bale, a Ronaldo, a Neymar, a Suarez. We simply can't compete anymore & it's criminal.

PSG had the same FFP restrictions. How are they doing?

This.

Blaming everything on FFP is a myth.

Spending 32m on the likes Mangala is what has cost City.

The Mail had an article saying we have spent over 300m since winning the league in 2012 yet only Fernandinho replacing Barry and Demichelis replacing Lescott have changed in the side.

Shocking!

SHocking indeed

We had a go without leaving our arses showing to much. Barca are on form with probably only Bayern as the single team that is better right now.
I know we want to be one of these teams and we very nearly are. We did have a go though tonight and came up a bit short.
Even if we had all the players we want (besides barca players ofc) and tactics just right we would not be clear favourite against such teams.

We WILL (read: should) be back next season and hopefully with lessons learned.

We lost against a good team that has just found form. a few niggly individual errors/fuck ups aside we did alright tonight.
I can handle that !

The sad fact is that City have never hit their stride this season. Moral victories and a few individual performances don't make up for the fact that, with the money that's been spend, City need to be much closer to moving forward in the CL.

buckshot said:
The sad fact is that City have never hit their stride this season. Moral victories and a few individual performances don't make up for the fact that, with the money that's been spend, City need to be much closer to moving forward in the CL.
That's a fair summation.

I don't accept the theory that we'll be back next year "having learned from tonight". For goodness sake, we played Barcelona last year and didn't seem to learn then. We've played Bayern six times, Real Madrid, Dortmund among others in this competition since we got in and still don't look like we can set up properly against a top side.
Barca were better than us tonight, no doubt. But at least make it difficult for them, frustrate them, have some sort of approach that might contain them. It was embarrassing at times in the first half tonight.

The only way we'll improve in this competition is with a semi-overhaul. Retaining the best of our squad and adding quite a few energetic young talents of high quality. Will take more than one window to complete but we should do as much as is financially possible next summer. But then the tactics must also be right. I thought our formation was OK today, it's just that Yaya is an invisible man on the defensive front so we were left with one holding midfielder again against the best strikeforce in the world right now. And going forward we're just simply too slow and don't have enough variety. Milner, Navas, Sagna and Kolarov ALL wasted crosses from excellent positions which could have unlocked them before our missed penalty.

With our resources, it shouldn't really be rocket science and we should have done much better in this competition, but every year we've had the same issues and met our end too early. I have a feeling next year will finally start to see some genuine improvement if we land some of the better players we've been linked with, most of whom fit the right profile. Build a hungrier team and a more balanced squad (less emphasis on hording forwards, which we should have learned by now - 2 on the bench tonight, 1 left out of the squad) and we'll be better for it.

Jullarkey said:
I don't accept the theory that we'll be back next year "having learned from tonight". For goodness sake, we played Barcelona last year and didn't seem to learn then. We've played Bayern six times, Real Madrid, Dortmund among others in this competition since we got in and still don't look like we can set up properly against a top side.
Barca were better than us tonight, no doubt. But at least make it difficult for them, frustrate them, have some sort of approach that might contain them. It was embarrassing at times in the first half tonight.

9 games , 6 must win to see if we will be back next year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.