Post match thread : Borussia Monchengladbach away CL

With all this flapping and slagging off the blue boys and Pellers, nobody mentioned the once more great away fans.

Credit to the blues in there, through the Espn stream their rendition of the Pablo Zabaleta song was heartfelt, and the camera caught a couple of lasses singing their fannies off.

A number of thoughts went through my head before, during and after last night's match. When I saw the team I was pleased and mightily relieved to see that Ya YA and Merlin were back and especially, and very justifiably as it turned out, that Joe was in nets. When I saw the bench I realised that this team did not represent Pellers' choice so much as the fit (and half fit!) players available. From the start it was obvious that Ya Ya was a long way from full fitness, and maybe Fernando would have been a better selection from the off, though he has only just returned from a long lay off. Merlin tired and faded and had to be replaced by Navas, who had a good game in the event. There Pellers' scope for choice began aqnd ended. Everywhere else we picked the only players we had.

The problems we had at WHL were still there: too much space out wide, a splendid vacuum in the middle of our defence and little if any cover from our CMs and real problems in transition. Fernando appeared to make little difference at first and it was only Joe's heroics that kept us in the game. Some - but only some - of our atacking play was good and we did createtwo or three chances which Sergio would have taken at any time other than just at the moment.

The real bonus was that all this changed when Borussia scored! We seemed to exhibit a collective will and determination totally absent until that point. Our defence seemed to have realised that one way of coping was to keep the ball in the Germans' third and make them defend. Sergio never hid for all his lack of form. We went for the throat and for the las 25 minutes there was only one team likely to win.

Not a vintage performance by any means, but a battling one and, in the end, a successful one.

Nothing anyone says will change my opinion. You can brand it a 'lazy' opinion but I'm 100% right. Yaya is a major problem to our team. He's a centre midfielder. Ask yourself what that role is. I implore you to watch him & then ask yourself does he perform in that role?
It's embarrassing.
Yes there are individual errors defensively but Yaya consistently provides little or no support to those behind him.
He fooled me the first few games into thinking he had changed his ways but he hasn't.
Not a popular opinion but I want the best for my team.
Am I grateful for all the good he has done obviously yes but this is about continuous improvement.

Some common sense from BSHR's post. Injuries have hamstrung Pellers options.

The real positive was the desire to win in the last 30 minutes. The game is 90 minutes and BMG players ran out of steam with the two Ferns driving on. Sergios 90th minute goal said it all.

My worries about our CB pairing were realised but Joe Hart has a new demeanour since his marriage and gave a world class display. Not just about saves but in the confidence he inspired in anyone watching. He is becoming a real leader with a glittering future ahead.

No trophy is won before Christmas.

Nothing anyone says will change my opinion. You can brand it a 'lazy' opinion but I'm 100% right. Yaya is a major problem to our team. He's a centre midfielder. Ask yourself what that role is. I implore you to watch him & then ask yourself does he perform in that role?
It's embarrassing.
Yes there are individual errors defensively but Yaya consistently provides little or no support to those behind him.
He fooled me the first few games into thinking he had changed his ways but he hasn't.
Not a popular opinion but I want the best for my team.
Am I grateful for all the good he has done obviously yes but this is about continuous improvement.
He started the season well. How do we know that the dip in his form is not just down to injury?

I agree with De Bruyne.
He started the season well. How do we know that the dip in his form is not just down to injury?
The form in his dip I think you mean and that was the result of an injury to his right thumb a couple of months ago which prevented him from opening his daily super deluxe blended ("New!") family size case of wotsits. I suppose his thumb is all-healed now. Which is nice.

I'm a german traindriver and I found in the morning a MCFC Fan Flag in my train from Gladbach to Cologne.
img_0088.jpg

Who is the owner of this flag ? Send me an email.
Isn't football brilliant

Just watching the full 90 minutes back now and Robbie Savage is dead funny!

He's like a fan in the commentary box. Going mad about the poor play in the fist half and just yelped out a "YESSS!" when we scored the first. Now going mad about the non-Demichelis goal (at the time)!

He's off his head

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.