Post Match Thread - City vs Palace

Just love the fact that when we didn't have aguero , silva, sterling we get bony , de bruyne and Nasri. That gives us a reserve forward line that is top 4 quality itself.
Its a good point, and add Kelechi to it, and it will score lots of goals on its own, though I doubt de Bruyne is going to be part of the "reserve" forward line.

We're going to score a lot of goals this season, and could easily top 2013/14.

It's some statement to go to a very good side who was second in the league and flying after their last result, without our three main attackers this season for the majority of it and come out of it with a win and another clean sheet. It shows the strength in depth we now possess in most areas. However, it was a fairly poor game from us in all honesty.

Navas had a shocker even without his miss, just wasn't threatening at all, never runs beyond the player with or without the ball and very rarely produces any end product. He's so far off the standard of the other 10 in our starting lineup, people were saying after the game that he was the only person that could even have got on the end of the through ball but it's the same as last season. We can't play somebody on the basis of him just being fast, and that's essentially why he gets in the side.

Mangala had his first iffy game of the season, caught out a few times by Bolasie, but he's not the first and won't be the last this season to struggle against him.

Kolarov didn't really offer a threat going forward but i thought that was good play from him, he knew he was up against a quality player with pace to burn and didn't have the protection Sterling can offer on the cover with his speed so i think he, or pellegrini decided he shouldn't be as adventurous as usual. Good call for me.

Yaya wasn't as lazy as he can be but he was carried for parts of the game by Fernandinho who was excellent yet again. Needed more from him but is suppose we can't expect him to come up with something every time, he was at least trying, just wasn't his day.

Fernandinho was again superb. Especially second half when we dominated the ball and they sat back more and more and hoped to hit us on the counter. Whenever they looked to break, DInho was there, first to every loose ball and made some great interceptions. I can't believe how unappreciated he is amongst the media. Even moreso given how much praise comparatively limited Matic received last year for Chelsea.

Bony didn't really look threatening, his hold up play was decent but we need more than that from him, Heard a lot of people after the game saying he was poor yesterday but i don't think the blame is all his. We need to play to his strengths more, we were expecting him to play like Aguero does when he's the lone striker but they're different players, he's dropping deep and picking the ball up in areas that he's not really a danger for us in. He's not going to spin a man dribble and dummy his way around 2/3 and get a shot off like Aguero, let him play his natural game more which is 10 yards further up on the edge of box with players around him feeding off of him, where he can either lay it off like he did for Yaya's goal against West Brom or where he can turn and use his body to get himself into a shooting position or him being in the box.

I'd also like to see us whip some crosses in every now and again when he's on the pitch, If Navas can learn to put the ball in once he's gained a yard on the defender instead of checking ball and throwing a useless dummy that nobody is falling for and only allows the defender to get back into a position to put a block in, and with Sagna, Kolarov and whoever else is on the wings are all capable of putting in some great balls, i can see some joy in whipping in crosses for Bony to get on the end of. We don't need to change our style, the build up play is still the same, we just need to mix it up on occasions, especially when it's just not happening like yesterday until Kelechi popped up.

Nasri did alright on the whole but it certainly wasn't good enough to put himself in contention for a starting spot in our best 11. With no Silva or Sterling it was his chance to show that he's capable of being a match winner for us and in his supposed best position. Despite having the shot that led to the goal, i don't believe he did enough yesterday.

KDB was very encouraging, a bit surprised to hear people were giving him MOTM, i think that was a bit overboard, Personally, i thought Fernandinho was MOTM but considering how little time he's had, he slotted in very well and the prospect of him linking with Kun Silva and Sterling is very exciting.

We're going to score a lot of goals this season, and could easily top 2013/14.

I think Pellegrini is a little more defensive than that season he often pouts Demichaelis on to shore things up when we are winning and we don't press quite as much. If thinkgs go well we will concede a lot less but probably score fewer as well. At times Dzeko was on fire that season.

I think Pellegrini is a little more defensive than that season he often pouts Demichaelis on to shore things up when we are winning and we don't press quite as much. If thinkgs go well we will concede a lot less but probably score fewer as well. At times Dzeko was on fire that season.
I still think we'll top it, more defensive or not, we've more options all round, if Navas can find the goal too.....

It's irritating when someone says a player shouldn't have started when they get injured. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Especially when the same people would be the first to complain if the gaffa would have left Kun out of the team and we had dropped points.

It's some statement to go to a very good side who was second in the league and flying after their last result, without our three main attackers this season for the majority of it and come out of it with a win and another clean sheet. It shows the strength in depth we now possess in most areas. However, it was a fairly poor game from us in all honesty.

Navas had a shocker even without his miss, just wasn't threatening at all, never runs beyond the player with or without the ball and very rarely produces any end product. He's so far off the standard of the other 10 in our starting lineup, people were saying after the game that he was the only person that could even have got on the end of the through ball but it's the same as last season. We can't play somebody on the basis of him just being fast, and that's essentially why he gets in the side.

Mangala had his first iffy game of the season, caught out a few times by Bolasie, but he's not the first and won't be the last this season to struggle against him.

Kolarov didn't really offer a threat going forward but i thought that was good play from him, he knew he was up against a quality player with pace to burn and didn't have the protection Sterling can offer on the cover with his speed so i think he, or pellegrini decided he shouldn't be as adventurous as usual. Good call for me.

Yaya wasn't as lazy as he can be but he was carried for parts of the game by Fernandinho who was excellent yet again. Needed more from him but is suppose we can't expect him to come up with something every time, he was at least trying, just wasn't his day.

Fernandinho was again superb. Especially second half when we dominated the ball and they sat back more and more and hoped to hit us on the counter. Whenever they looked to break, DInho was there, first to every loose ball and made some great interceptions. I can't believe how unappreciated he is amongst the media. Even moreso given how much praise comparatively limited Matic received last year for Chelsea.

Bony didn't really look threatening, his hold up play was decent but we need more than that from him, Heard a lot of people after the game saying he was poor yesterday but i don't think the blame is all his. We need to play to his strengths more, we were expecting him to play like Aguero does when he's the lone striker but they're different players, he's dropping deep and picking the ball up in areas that he's not really a danger for us in. He's not going to spin a man dribble and dummy his way around 2/3 and get a shot off like Aguero, let him play his natural game more which is 10 yards further up on the edge of box with players around him feeding off of him, where he can either lay it off like he did for Yaya's goal against West Brom or where he can turn and use his body to get himself into a shooting position or him being in the box.

I'd also like to see us whip some crosses in every now and again when he's on the pitch, If Navas can learn to put the ball in once he's gained a yard on the defender instead of checking ball and throwing a useless dummy that nobody is falling for and only allows the defender to get back into a position to put a block in, and with Sagna, Kolarov and whoever else is on the wings are all capable of putting in some great balls, i can see some joy in whipping in crosses for Bony to get on the end of. We don't need to change our style, the build up play is still the same, we just need to mix it up on occasions, especially when it's just not happening like yesterday until Kelechi popped up.

Nasri did alright on the whole but it certainly wasn't good enough to put himself in contention for a starting spot in our best 11. With no Silva or Sterling it was his chance to show that he's capable of being a match winner for us and in his supposed best position. Despite having the shot that led to the goal, i don't believe he did enough yesterday.

KDB was very encouraging, a bit surprised to hear people were giving him MOTM, i think that was a bit overboard, Personally, i thought Fernandinho was MOTM but considering how little time he's had, he slotted in very well and the prospect of him linking with Kun Silva and Sterling is very exciting.

Think your being rather harsh in your assessment of the team. Palace were the strongest team we have met this season and with key players missing, we still manage to take the points.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.