Post Match Thread: City vs Spurs

The fact no one can even decide on Yayas best position or how best he can contribute to the team speaks volumes to me regarding his inclusion in our set up.Certainly in my mind he is much more a problem than a solution

It'a always been the case, mate.

It's just so much more pronounced now because Toure is finished at this level, or at least in this league.

Too many people saying he should now be accommodated as a late sub or to retain the ball.

Vieira was one of the best defensive mids of any generation, Yaya doesn't have that mindset, because that requires intelligence and a desire to want to do the dirty things.

Vieira's career was never about personal glory, it was always about his effectiveness to his team.

It's because he cannot play any one position without players from other positions helping him out. He needs to be carried by his teammates, but he's nowhere near effective enough anymore to make that a worthwhile tactic

Exactly. If you are forced to pick up the slack, in any walk of life, it always means something else has to give, is diminished.

If he set up like this against Leicester, West Ham, Liverpool & Arsenal away - we would have more points today - just wish he would do it - he has the capability to see it He even tinkered with swapping Sterling and Silva - Rose was getting too much space in 1st half because Silva was coming inside - by swapping them - Sterling held the line well to help Zabba and we were then having them on both wings

MP does have it but is not doing it unless he is being forced to

Absolutely correct !

Even though we allowed Spurs more possession with this game plan they did nothing with it and it was City who had created the only half chances before Clattenburg's intervention. Had the game continued in this vain the likelyhood was for either a 0-0 draw or a City 1-0 win.

This is how we should set up for the rest of the season. First, making sure we are secure and don't concede and then and only if we don't score make a change with 15 to go and attack.

MP needs to be more pragmatic. It's all about winning, nobody cares about the gallant loser.

The fact no one can even decide on Yayas best position or how best he can contribute to the team speaks volumes to me regarding his inclusion in our set up.Certainly in my mind he is much more a problem than a solution
Where he was yesterday is currently the best position for him. Whether he's the best in that position is another question entirely. All things being equal, I'd play Silva there but given the injuries, the line-up yesterday was the best we had.

I think that has always been a problem, exactly how to fit him in. It's just it was less noticable when he was younger/quicker. If he ran 50 yards & lashed one in top corner, nobody complained when he let the oppo midfielder run off him ten times in the same game.

We have had a bunch of talented players, but rarely had an 11 perfectly suited to the system we are trying to play, on any given day. You don't ideally want Yaya Toure as a centre mid in a 442 v anyone in any era, you want Roy Keane & Colin Bell. But because we have so many top players, we can still sometimes win titles with Yaya playing often in a midfield two.

We have never really had a plan of how we will play & then signed the exact players to suit the plan.

I know the talk always seems to focus around Yaya and given the majority of his performances this season it is easy to see why but what is apparent to me is just how poor the rest of our central midfielders are. Yesterday the two Ferns had zero control over the middle of the park, neither of them are technically good enough. Fernando offers absolutely nothing. Fernandinho offers something but I am not always 100% sure what it is, his Sevilla away performances when he ran the show are certainly few and far between. I am not convinced any of the CMs will survive the inevitable Pep cull.

Didn't the club themselves say in their press release that they initially approached Pep in 2012?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.