Post Match Thread: City vs Spurs

Where he was yesterday is currently the best position for him. Whether he's the best in that position is another question entirely. All things being equal, I'd play Silva there but given the injuries, the line-up yesterday was the best we had.

Agree in that he's less trouble to us & more trouble to the oppo in that setup, & then re Silva, he won't shoot, so we have a problem when he plays No 10 as an alternative.

In reality we don't have a real No 10 at the club apart from perhaps DeBruyne. The other option is of course Kelechi who played that role in the U17s but is raw.

Ideally the answer is not to have a No 10 at all imo & put together the strongest 11 who can play & work as a team. I doubt that would ever include Yaya though.

I know the talk always seems to focus around Yaya and given the majority of his performances this season it is easy to see why but what is apparent to me is just how poor the rest of our central midfielders are. Yesterday the two Ferns had zero control over the middle of the park, neither of them are technically good enough. Fernando offers absolutely nothing. Fernandinho offers something but I am not always 100% sure what it is, his Sevilla away performances when he ran the show are certainly few and far between. I am not convinced any of the CMs will survive the inevitable Pep cull.

I think Fernandinho is one of the best mids in the world, but he's a runner not a sitter. He spends most of his City career babysitting others who can't/won't run. He should be part of a high energy unit, not the only person with any energy. I don't know if Pep will want him or not, but I'm pretty sure he can cope with whatever Pep requires if he choses to use him.

I know the talk always seems to focus around Yaya and given the majority of his performances this season it is easy to see why but what is apparent to me is just how poor the rest of our central midfielders are. Yesterday the two Ferns had zero control over the middle of the park, neither of them are technically good enough. Fernando offers absolutely nothing. Fernandinho offers something but I am not always 100% sure what it is, his Sevilla away performances when he ran the show are certainly few and far between. I am not convinced any of the CMs will survive the inevitable Pep cull.
I think the Pep cull will have to be a full on Mancini rebuild after the Pell/ engineer dimantleing years

Kelechi should have been brought on for silva. Was having another bad day and yaya was more likely to create something or score than silva.

Anyone mentioned the Danny Rose incident when Kane was down injured? He had the ball just inside his own half and Zab was marking him. He (Rose) made as though he was going to put the ball out then suddenly ran past Zab with the ball. He then put it out further down the pitch but Zab was absolutely fuming and would have chinned him if Kompany hadn't intervened.

At least we didn't give it back.

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with this.

Spurs were playing really deep and passing the ball accross their back 4 for long periods, trying to encourage us to press them, and leave space in behind.

That's how they battred us at WHL, they were just running through us from the half way line, we couldn't cope with them on the break.

Yesterday it was crystal clear that we'd been instructed to hold our shape, not press the ball high up the pitch, let Spurs have the ball in their own half, and then try to break on them ourselves with Yaya, Sterling and Aguero.

There were so many around me in the stands who seemingly didn't understand that this was the game plan. Spurs were passing it square along their back 4 for the 100th time and people were screaming "pressure them" "get a bloody tackle in!"

Pellegrini actually got his tactics spot on. Spurs created absolutely nothing, they had one speculative shot from 30 yards. They didn't get behind us once. They scored 3 from getting behind us at WHL.

They got gifted a "penalty" from the worlds biggest **** of a referee who frankly should go on a reality show instead of refereeing as he's only concerned about being on TV and gaining attention. His linesman is also surely the most inept official ever involved in the PL? The same one that allowed Spurs to score 2 blatantly offside goals at WHL, and incorrectly flagged Aguero off at least 3 times yesterday.

After they scored, we came out and took the game to them. We completely outclassed them for that period, it was our best performance for some time. After we scored it looked like only one team was going to win it.

Personally I didn't understand the Kolarov decision at all. He was diabolocal last week, Clichy has been playing superbly well. They'd not troubled our back 4 all afternoon, and Clichy gad just assisted a goal, so if it was a tactical switch it was clearly the wrong call.

There are a lot of positives from yesterday for me though. Kompany back, Yaya looked more interested, Silva played some sublime balls in the second half, we looked solid, tactically disciplined.

Up until the Kolarov substitution I thought the manager got the tactics spot on, so he doesn't deserve criticism for yesterday.

Bloody hell; I'll have to wholeheartedly agree with you.

Good post even though I don't necessarily agree with a few bits. When I saw the team, I was happy as we had two covering midfield players in front of the back four and Toure where he should be, at number 10. It was very similar to the Derby, where neither side wanted to attack the other. We held our shape, which is something I've criticised us for not doing enough in the past. No one played great but no one (apart from Aguero) played badly. The two Ferns sat and were generally anonymous but that's because they really didn't get involved in going forward that much. Fernando had a couple of dodgy moments but did a solid enough job.

Our problem was that we were sloppy in possession, winning the ball back then gifting it back to Spurs within a couple of passes. We seemed to have lost our previous ability to retain possession. We only started to cut loose a bit after the penalty and I do wonder what the plan would have been if that hadn't happened. What was disappointing was that we reverted to type with the second goal and opened up like the Red Sea. No one seemed to take responsibility and go to the ball, which will be something Pep addresses.

In hindsight, taking Fernando off was probably the wrong decision but we were going for it at the time.

I agree with a couple of your points, and disagree with a couple.

I agree that we were quite slopping in possession in the first half. We were clearly playing deeper, being more disciplined and holding our defensive shape in the first half especially. I think this was the right call, considering we have been a defensive shambles recently, and Spurs scored 4 against us last time. We conceded possession in order to remain solid and not leaves ourselves vulnerable in behind.

I think the effect that had when we had the ball was that because we were so much deeper than usual, we didn't have the same amount of forward passing options as normal. Also when you don't have possession for long periods, it's inevitable that you are not as composed in your decision making and passing when you eventually do get the ball. That led to us giving the ball away cheaply at times, but personally I think that was probably a consequence of us being deeper and more solid.

Personally I don't think Yaya's best position is as a number 10. He's often brilliant there in the last 10 minutes of games when they become stretched and there is space for him to exploit. I think that's why we defended deeper, to encourage Spurs on to us to create space for Yaya to exploit when running with the ball. He did that a few times and on another day we may have scored from it. But as in the derby at the Swamp showed, I don't think Yaya is very good with his back to goal. Silva is the master in the number 10 position of receiving the ball on the half turn and finding space. I don't think Yaya is very good when he's in front of play, which is where a number 10 spends a lot of the game.

Yaya is better behind the ball with space in front of him. So yesterday by us playing deeper, it allowed us to play to his strengths. But the way we play usually, the number 10 needs to be in front of the ball, and I don't think that suits Yaya at all. Especially when the majority of teams we play don't come and attack us.

For me Yaya's best position now is as a box to box player in a 433. Exactly like we played in Seville. Fernando sat behind giving him the security blanket, and Yaya and Fernandinho pressing. That allows him to dictate play from a bit deeper, stay behind the ball, produce those surging runs from deep. Having the extra man in there means we don't look vulnerable through the middle when we lose possession, and it means Yaya doesn't have to be playing with his back to goal where is much less effective.

The goal undoubtedly sparked us in to life, I guess that was inevitable. But I think we were always going to step it up at some point. I'm often frustrated at Pellegrini's selections. Yesterday I wanted us to go 433, same as Seville. When I saw Yaya as a 10 and Silva on the left I thought he'd fucked up again. But after about 10 minutes it was clear we weren't playing our usual high line pressing game, we were sitting deeper and holding shape. So Pellegrini clearly did have a game plan this week that was specifically designed to deal with the opposition. That's all I have ever asked of him, so it's only fair I credit him for that.

I hate to blame referees and officials, but they clearly had a disproportionate affect on the game yesterday. The way we set up and the way we played, there's no way we deserved to lose that match. They had one shot on goal, from 30 yards. They didn't get behind us once, until the last minute when they scored. Their first corner was on about 75 minutes. Although we didn't have possession, I felt we were in complete control of the game. In the second half Yaya and Silva showed flashes of why they are club legends. If we can perform to the level we did yesterday, we've got a good chance of winning the league.

Played well yesterday Kompany looked good and gave the team a lift. We were in control and comfortable until cheatenberg awarded that penalty. My 1 frustration was Clichy for Kolarov just after we scored don't know why he did that. We certainly didn't deserve to lose. Anyway let's hope Vinny can stay fit and we can get some sort of run going.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.