Post Match Thread: Election 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
there will not be a second referendum imo. leave would win if there was. you can't say its the only way because it isn't. who knows we might not even get a deal in which case we are out anyway. this election wasnt really fought on brexit, barely any of the parties even talked about it.

It is the reason that May said she had called it, i.e. to give her a mandate to do whatever she wanted. The people said NO.

I can't see Corbyn ever winning an overall majority. But the tories are in such disarray (and the brexit negotiations aren't going to make that any better) that I think a Labour led coalition must be the most likely outcome of the next election, which could be within 2 years.

Try 2 months?

Seriously who knows. But I can't see a coalition government with a majority of 5 and no mandate for any particular Brexit "style", being a viable option going forward. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if another election is called soonish. The conservatives would not be sure of winning it this time, but there may be no other option.

It is the reason that May said she had called it, i.e. to give her a mandate to do whatever she wanted. The people said NO.

it wasnt specifically about leaving the single market though, it was on a load of different issues, with a lot of leavers voting for say labours economic policies. i dont like saying it, but maybe there should be a referendum on leaving the single market ? then it can finally be decided.

Try 2 months?

Seriously who knows. But I can't see a coalition government with a majority of 5 and no mandate for any particular Brexit "style", being a viable option going forward. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if another election is called soonish. The conservatives would not be sure of winning it this time, but there may be no other option.

but what do we do if the result is the same/similar.

there will not be a second referendum imo. leave would win if there was. you can't say its the only way because it isn't. who knows we might not even get a deal in which case we are out anyway. this election wasnt really fought on brexit, barely any of the parties even talked about it.

Leave might win a 2nd referendum (I think they probably would). But why would leavers take the risk? A soft brexit deal could always be hardened in time. So I agree that there probably will not be 2nd referendum, because a hard brexit is no longer a viable prospect.

it wasnt specifically about leaving the single market though, it was on a load of different issues, with a lot of leavers voting for say labours economic policies. i dont like saying it, but maybe there should be a referendum on leaving the single market ? then it can finally be decided.

I think there will have to be a vote on the final deal now. Either in parliament with a free vote, or referendum.

You really think that it would still be a vote to leave the EU!
The Scots would vote in numbers this time and quite a few people who voted to leave did so as a protest about what they felt was just shit politics. But following the last referendum and the constant fall out and uncertainty, I believe those people would fall in line to remain

May tried to keep the GE all about Brexit and this is where her campaign failed and Labour took advantage

It's entirely normal for a party that's been in power for some time, ESPECIALLY through difficult times, to have waned in their popularity. I think it would be foolish to assume that the young, for example are now energised and engaged in politics. It may very well be they simply turned up to get their £28,000. I would probably have voted Labour myself in those circumstances.
Let's be honest, the Tories haven't been particularly popular throughout their stint in power. It was a massive surprise last time when they actually got a majority when all the polls were suggesting a hung parliament, and before that, it took the Lib Dems to get them into power.

Corbyn got the same % of votes as Blair got in 97 when he won a landslide.

Andy Burnham is a red Tory traitor.i have more chance than that little shite. No chance.

Shaky ground there my friend but all is explained and your true colours uncovered by you calling Andy Burnham a Red Tory traitor.
First point Blair won by convincing middle England to trust him, something that Corbyn will never acheive. Second point he was up against mister no mark John Major. Third point is your history is slightly skewed to fit your argument. Blair got over 43% of the vote whilst Corbyn only managed 40%. Not a huge difference but try telling that to the Lib Dems who achieved 12 seats from 2.4m votes, 7.4% of the turn out and the SNP who got 35 seats from less than a million votes and 3% of the turn out. Point being the difference between a landslide and disaster in UK elections is always a small percentage. Dump Corbyn or lose the next election as well

Try 2 months?

If there's another election soon the tories will lose more seats and Corbyn will be PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.