Post Something Interesting

way back in the day when pubs weren't allowed to open on a sunday in scotland,
ferry owners took advantage of a loophole in the law and started sunday booze cruises on steamships, solely for the purpose of getting drunk.

that's where we get the phrase "steaming" from.
Where would we be with good old Blue Moon ???

ferry owners took advantage of a loophole in the law and started sunday booze cruises on steamships, solely for the purpose of getting drunk.

Similarly ‘legless’. There were a lot of cider houses along West Country canals and rivers. Old fashioned cider would get to your legs and you were carried out and laid on the bank to recover.
I found warm sake had the same effect, didn’t feel drunk but the legs would not work.

Similarly ‘legless’. There were a lot of cider houses along West Country canals and rivers. Old fashioned cider would get to your legs and you were carried out and laid on the bank to recover.
I found warm sake had the same effect, didn’t feel drunk but the legs would not work.
Brings back memories of The Red Cow in Exeter and The Cider Bar in Newton Abbot.

My Welsh neighbour, a retired railway worker, told me that during the ban on Sunday drinking in Wales, groups would hire trains (pulled by steam driven locomotives) for a Day Trip. It was legal to serve booze on these excursions.

Tmesis is the only word in the english language starting TM. abso-f**king-lutely is an example of Tmesis!
And
Dreamt is the only word in the english language ending in MT. an example of this is rags winning the league which they once dreamt of!

The plural of leaf is leaves
e.g. cabbage leaves, vine leaves , lettuce leaves, maple leaves.

Today I spotted a lad with a sweatshirt of the Canadian ice hockey team called the "Toronto Maple Leafs"

Everyone knows about the Spanish Armada.

Very few have heard of the Counter Armada of the following year. One of the worst debacles in English military history, a total failure with heavy casualties.

And no, the Tudors did not make us a 'Great Power'. In the 17th Century slave raiders were attacking the British and Irish Coasts as our defences were so weak and Charles I spent a lot of cash on ships in an attempt to sort this. This was funded by Ship Money, and unpopular and illegal tax. Which in turn contributed to the outbreak of Civil War.

My Welsh neighbour, a retired railway worker, told me that during the ban on Sunday drinking in Wales, groups would hire trains (pulled by steam driven locomotives) for a Day Trip. It was legal to serve booze on these excursions.
This is true. But it also applied to the regular operation of the Ffestiniog Railway, which always served beer in its buffet cars.

Of course, it was always a hypocritical nonsense. Anyone local who wanted a Sunday drink just joined a club as they were exempt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.